Baker & Daniels / Ethics

1 South Bend, IN, United States Review updated:

Consulted Baker & Daniels on a consulting contract that my client severed 3 years early. I signed the contract with the client that required me to work 40 hours a week, so that required me to stop doing work for other clients. This meant that my income came from one client, one source.

Anyway, the client canceled the contract because the new CEO didn't want to fulfill it because of costs. I consulted Baker & Daniels, making it clear that the client was my income and I had no money. I was told by the attorney that we had a great case and they will work with me.

Three months into the case and two days before depositions were to be done, my attorney sent me a letter and a bill saying I owe them $28, 000 and that they cannot pursue doing the depositions or the case until I bring my account current.

I met with my attorney and explained to him we had spoken about my lack of income and that they said they would work with me. He just kept saying over and over again "We need payment in full before we can proceed". This is a classic case of bait-and-switch. Of course, Baker & Daniels sued me for the $28, 000, but we settled for $20, 000. They didn't do ###! My advice to anyone seeking to use Baker & Daniels, "Don't!". Their lack of ethics will surely screw you in the end.

Comments

• Ba
      12th of Aug, 2009

Baker & Daniels is committed to providing value to our clients and we work on a case by case basis to ensure that the fee expectations are aligned with the services rendered. We dispute the assertions and characterizations in this posting; we complied fully with all ethical responsibilities in the course of the representation. Baker & Daniels honors ethical obligations associated with the legal profession. Through its Ethics Committee and otherwise, the firm sets and maintains high standards for ethical conduct. We are dedicated to ensuring that in all representations the firm’s professionals and staff comply fully with the Rules of Professional Responsibility and our own high standards.