Backyard Masters / Deceptive selling practices!

After visiting the first time and being told we could basically drop a new pool of the same size into the current decking, we were laughed at by the installer who quickly told us that was ridiculous. The decking had to be removed. So we did! Stupidly we returned to Backyard Masters and ordered a pool. Upon calling the installers that Backyard Masters recommended, we get told that the installation will cost almost $5oo more because the pool we purchased "was a difficult pool to install" After calling Backyard Masters, we were given the runaround promising a call back. None came. So I called them to ask about the cancellation policy and how many days by law do I have to cancel a contract. I snappily get told that "I don't know how long you have" This was supposedly said by the manager! When I told her we were being "jerked around" she kept saying, "There is something wrong with you, there is something wrong with you." The only thing wrong with me is that I trusted Backyard Masters. It's amazing how nice they are prior to the sale but as soon as they have your check, all you get is nasty retorts and the threat of a 20% restocking fee if you cancel. They can be as nasty as they want because they think they have you over a barrel. I guess they figure they can be as nasty as they want because you already paid and who wants to lose $1000! Stay away from Backyard Masters. They smile and then stab you in the back.

Comments

• Vi
      21st of Jun, 2007

They are terrible people to deal with due to a error in are pool installer who by the way works with Backyard Master. I purchased an incorrect liner and it is still in the box and they will not take it back or give store credit even though I was told they would by a gent name John. Bad business!!

• Lu
      21st of Jun, 2007

I totally agree that they are terrible. One of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. Near the end of last summer my husband and I purchased a johnny weissmuller pool at Harrows, but since it was the end of the season they were out of stock on the matching aluminum decking and fencing. I was told it would be easy to add the deck and fence on at a later date. We have 2 small boys, one autistic, and i am concerned abt their safety, so the pool was basically put up and covered immediately. Harrows proceeded to go out of business, so early spring i went on the johnny weissmuller website to see what dealers sold the decking and fencing we needed. It said backyard masters. on march 29 we went there and ordered decking and all around fencing for our 18ft round pool. cost $3500. We had boxes delivered a few weeks later. nothing could be erected until the pool was opened so we opened it may 19 and a contractor (backyard masters recommended) came a few days later to put up the decking. It turns out only the deck part had been delivered, not the fencing part that goes around the perimeter of the pool. i really freaked out and called them up while the contractor was still there, they said they were very busy and had to call me back. Since then i have called every few days and have completely gotten the run around, doug the salesman and sherry who works behind the register tell me they ordered the fencing for us, they're trying to track it, just totally jerking us around. I explained to them that my son has autism and will try to get into the pool at any cost and thats why i made sure i had ordered everything early, i really don't think they care. Its been a month now that i;m trying to get this straightened out. I even went as far as to dispute the charge on my visa. And the guy they recommended to put the decking up didn't even do that great a job, we paid him $450 and the decking isn't even flush with the pool on one side, but i was so upset over the fencing not being there that i didn't really notice it until he had left. Backyard masters said they would take care of that when i mentioned it to them during one of my many calls but i;m not holding my breath.

7th of Jul, 2007

In reference to Mrs. Vicky Thompson,

Unfortunately for Mrs. Thompson this is true we do not take back swimming pool liners for any reason, and we do not know any pool store that does. The reason being is completely for the customers' satisfaction in knowing they purchased a new liner from us. Reselling a liner that has already been open would not be assuring to the next customer who buys it.

That customer wants to know the liner is in fact new and clean of defects of any kind. We as retailers have had every trick in the book played on us in reference to a pool liner (which happens to be most integral part of the pool. It is holding all the water in the pool). So with all this said it should stand to reason that this store policy is with good merit and the customers' best interest in mind.

There are also signs at the register and on all customer receipts explaining our policy. We have been in this business for 28 years and have the respect of the best names in the business. Thank you for understanding.

7th of Jul, 2007

In reference to Mrs. Lucia Alberti,

First, we would like to tell Mrs. Alberti that we entirely understand her plight; however, there is a bigger problem than she realized. We explained to Mrs. Alberti that Harrow's was the one that mislead her and was not honest with her. What Mrs. Alberti bought was we call a 'Closeout', or in other words, a pool model that is no longer made and has been modified by the manufacturer. Harrow's knew they were going out of business and began to sell all of their old inventory for whatever they could get. After Harrow's closed the factory, the Delair Group, contacted us and asked us to take care of some customer warranty issues Harrow's left unsettled. We agreed to take care of those issues. Mrs. Alberti was sold a Johnny Weissmuller pool, unfortunately we only carry Esther Williams, which is made by the same manufacturer yet they are two different pool lines. To site an example Toyota makes Toyota cars and Lexus cars but the parts are not interchangeable between the two lines.

So when Mrs. Alberti came to us we were not aware, like the fact she was not aware, she purchased a 'Closeout' product. Despite this, the factory agreed to fulfill the order placed by Mrs. Alberti at our store. We have the purchase order and the acknowledgment from the manufacturer to prove it. Unfortunately the timing was not the best because a product no longer being produced had to be manufactured.

We have done, as we always will do, the right thing for the customer. As it is mentioned in the response to Mrs. Thompson we have been in the business for 28 years and are highly respected by the best names in the business. We truly believe no one will try harder to satisfy the customer.

9th of Jul, 2007

In reference to Mrs. Lynda Arnone,

This is simply a misunderstanding between Mrs. Arnone and us. The salesman told Mrs. Arnone that it could be done. We then gave an appropriate price of what only the pool installation would cost, not the price of putting the pool into the deck. We leave that for the installer to assess when he sees the job site. In Mrs. Arnone's situation, putting a pool in a deck, no two jobs are the same. What the installer said was taken out of context. It was not the pool that was difficult to install it was the overall installation with the existing deck being taken into consideration. We do not jerk any customer around and sometimes they do not like what we tell them. What we tell customers is based on the facts presented, although it may cost the customer more money than they anticipated. We hope this clears up any disputes. Thank you.

1st of Sep, 2007

This reply is in reference to an individual who prides themselves in using vulgar offensive language in an attempt to both defame and undermine the creditability of a successful thriving business. We suspect this was contrived by a competitor whose own business practices are failing and, as a result resorts to a petty juvenile endeavor that is both illegal and entirely unfounded.

This commentary is a posted issuance of a false statement that is simply a malicious allegation that of an unprivileged publication manifested by the screening and printing negligence on the part of the publisher. Permitting such slander to be elicited online not only corrodes the integrity of the website but also raises suspicions pertaining to the accountability, legality, and failed action in investigating both the source and the content prior to the publication.

Backyard Masters is a fully recognized and licensed establishment whose owners have been successfully in business within the pool and spa industry for over 30 years. Backyard Masters prides itself with honest and fair business practices that both serves and protects all patrons. Perpetuating illegitimate claims is deplorable and will under no condition be tolerated. As a result, this matter will be further examined as a potential lawsuit is pending.

• Lu
      16th of Oct, 2007

I just came here and needed to post that Backyard Masters really came through for me and my family in the end. What I was not aware of, was that it was actually the manufacturing company's error, they never delivered the fencing and had to manufacture a new one to replace it. Which took awhile. I did not realize this until I spoke to Dean himself. At any rate, the fencing arrived, Dean sent a very competent team from "Recommended Pools" (owner Joseph Portino) over to erect the rest of the fence and to fix the lopsided part that the other installer put up. I was not charged any money for this. They really were very apologetic and I am very grateful, the deck and fence look great and I can rest easy at night knowing my little ones are safe. Thank you so much, Dean!!!

10th of Jun, 2008

To whom this my concern-

I just made a purchase of a semi in ground pool at Backyard Masters and I could not be happier. They are first rate and carry an exclusive line of top pools. Anyone should feel confident that they are not only getting the best price and selection, but they are buying from a compnay that will stand behind your purchase. These web sites are informative, but can be misleading to the fact that when you sell thousands of pools etc a year there might be 1 or 2 situations to where something went wrong in communication and the compliant winds up at this site. They should be seen as 1 in a 1000. Imagine if all the satisfied customers could post a note! This site couldnt handle it--Check your prices and check your selections---Backyard Masters will come out on top everytime---See Sandy or John---they will give you the time you'll need to answer some of the tough questions you might have---and don't forget to say hi to Dean

• Sl
      1st of Jul, 2008

I hope that Backyard Masters does not expect the public to beleive that a customer wrote the BS in this aparticular post. I think we ALL know that an employee wrote it. Thousands of pools, please do not make me laugh!

My guess is Backyard Masters is ticked that when u google their name the complaints show up higher than their website in the results. Porobably lost some sales on that issue...

• In
      4th of Jul, 2008

Please tell me the truth. How long has Backyard Masters LLC. been in business? I heard it is less than 2 years, yet they tell people it is 28 + years. We do not care how long "Dizzy Dean's" has been in business or how much experience you calim to have. HOW LONG HAS BACKYARD MASTERS LLC. BEEN IN BUSINESS? Please tell the truth!

• Se
      6th of Aug, 2008

They opened up as Backyard Masters in either January or February of 2007. Approximately one and a half years ago. Certainly not the 28+ years that you heard.

• Sl
      13th of Aug, 2008

What a shame. Why can't everyone be honest? Thanks Sean, for shedding light on a dark subject.

• Cl
      12th of Sep, 2008

Backyard Masters has taken advantage of me as well.They promised a Cal Spa Sauna in two-three weeks maximum.After two months and at least eight calls, they still couldn't deliver.When I went there they were so rude it was unbelievable. Even after complaining over and over again, not one person could give me an honest answer. I was foolish believing the salesman that it would take 2-3 weeks, and to paying it in full! When I called, Sherry was supposed to call me back.Every time I had spoken to a living human being, instead of voice mail, they all said Sherry takes care of that department. SHE NEVER CALLED ME ONCE.DO NOT DEAL WITH THESE PEOPLE.THEY ARE DISHONEST AND WHAT MAKES IT WORSE, THEY THINK NOTHING OF IT.

• Pe
      14th of Sep, 2008

I heard they are on their way out anyway. He owes suppliers a lot of money. If they make it, it will be a long cold winter for Backyard Masters. Hey smart move Dean, to open up a second store out east when the one on 110 is in trouble. Makes u wonder what these guys are thinking. There is a reason Harrows and Poseidon went under. Guess who's next?

• Je
      26th of Jan, 2009

TO ALL MY PEOPLE. In defiance of tyranny one must stand against those that uses them and loses the trust of the people. I am Amazed of the above complaints. Why won't they take back my liner? Because some people are sick and open it carefully, rip it and put it back in the box very carefully. Why did you measure it wrong anyway, didn't the store say no returns on liners and chemicals? You ever put shock in your pool that isn't shock but rather baby powder? Or poured chlorine into your pool to discover that you just poured anthrax in liquid form into your pool, and O yea the terrorist are going to win because of you? No you haven't because the chemicals cannot be returned for that exact reason. How many years has back yard masters been open? who cares, this is America where you have the freedom to walk away from a salesmen at your own discretion. Did they Lie?, No they have been dealing with pools for 28 years. Does it matter where? Did mcDonalds really serve over a billion hamburgers. But you want to get technical, we are not talking about the franchise in entirety, but that one single lonely mcDonalds on Queens Boulevard. No they didn't. But the sign still says billions and billions served. Yet here you are actually writing that a legitimate business does not have 28 years experience because Dizzy Deans is not the same store or name as Back Yard Masters. Well mcDonalds in New York is not the same Mcdonalds in New Mexico. Would it make you feel better if they changed the name? I am wondering when this society or just these bloggers are going to start taking responsibility for their own actions and lack of common sense? Since when can a pool store ### whether or not your deck will interfere with the pool installation with out seeing the back yard first handedly? Hence the price increase in installation. When does a salesman become the your moral coach, your accountant, contractor and life partner? You are grown ups with grown up problems. If you had legitimacy to your claims you would be in court fighting for these injustices. Rather you claim dishonest business practices and question the moral and ethical judgement of an established business. Yet you take no action. You are the ones to say lets go to war and not think of the withdrawal or if ones even possible. I'm sure there have been honest mistakes, or mis communications that have led to heart aches. So why not let the courts decide? AHHHHH trying to fight for what you believe in is for the other guy, I see. So people like me will keep going to war all while you do your part and you put your yellow sticker on your SUV that says we support the troops. While real men and women stand up for what is right, while you all just write on this blog bad mouthing a Mom and Pop shop. Don't blame fast food when your kids become obese, blame yourselves for not having home cooked meals or teaching the nutrition. Its time you actually take responsibility for your inabilities to make grown up decisions. I hope this site gets taken down and I get a free pool for using my 172 I.Q. for the good of the people.

-Jesus Christ of morals.

• Mo
      30th of Jan, 2009

I am assuming that the above comment was posted by a sympatetic relative of "Dizzy Dean". Hey "Jesus Christ Super Star" why don't you address the other comments within this blog? As an example "Did we need one more pool and spa store in a saturated market on Long Island? That was before the economy went in the toilet! Thats bad enough, but lets open two stores on saturated Long Island...a doy! When will theses guys get the meaning of a "finite pie", meaning all they are doing is cutting the pie into smaller and smaller pieces. No one wins! The consumer loses, the other pool and spa dealers lose and most of all "Dizzy Boy Dean" loses his ### trying to make it work!It is sad to watch a man try to make a horse race out of this in this economy. We all know how this is going to end.

The difference between Mcdonald, s and Backyard Masters is that even if the store itself didn, t sell a billion burgers they were sold under the Macdonalds name. Backyard Masters leads the customer to believe that the Backyard Masters name has been around 28 years, that is deceptive.

Also when was the last time you bought a hamburger that came with a five year warranty. If Mcdonald's closes a month after you ate the burger...who gives a crap. If Backyard Masters closes because I did not know he was only in business for two years instead of the 28 that he alledges than I am stuck with a pool or spa that now I have to call the factory for some third part service. Just great!

I also take offense to you saying we are not taking action. The fact that some poor slob may google this blog and because of this not make a purchase at Backyard Deceptors is a step in the right direction. Jesus I think you should have yoyr moral clock cleaned becuase it has taken you way off course you ignorent...

I am guessing by the superiority of my comments Jesus that my I.Q. is somewhere north of 172.1.

• Ro
      31st of Jan, 2009

I just came from backyard masters on 110. Dean is a crook.
    I came in knowing my business and exactly what I wanted. He was deceptive and tried to double talk
    me into a pool he needed to unload. Store was empty. I asked what happens if they go out of business. He said never happen, they have been around 28 years. When I aksed under what name he said doesnt matter they will back all pools they sell.
    I think I will go somewhere else. Maybe brothers 3.

• Cr
      1st of Feb, 2009

I find this funny that I am actually writing this as I am generally not the kind of person who takes the time to do so. Before shopping for a pool this week I did research on the internet to try and find out which was the best place to purchase from on Long Island. I read this blog about Backyard Masters and was not going to go there, but I decided to ignore what I read. However, after going in to the store in Farmingdale I now see what people are talking about. They are simply a bunch of rude and arrogant individuals. Their product line was nothing special at all. I purchased a pool elsewhere that was much heavier in quality and a better value as far as I am concerned, but the reason I actually took the time to write this is hopefully to help someone else from wasting their time going there. IT IS NOT WORTH THE EFFORT OR TIME. They are NOT nice people!!! There is one individual who was walking around like he thought he was king of the castle, you could just feel his arrogance. I imagine he must be the owner. Anyway the pools are nothing special and their equipment looks like cheap junk. Good luck to all pool buyers, there are much better choices for above ground poos. Just look for yourself and you will see what I mean.

9th of Feb, 2009

This excerpt from Backyard's website should help you make up your mind about purchasing anything at this establishment:

Backyard Masters Filters
    BEING IN THE POOL INDUSTRY MY WHOLE LIFE IVE OPERATED EVERY POOL FILTER SYSTEM THE INDUSTRY HAS TO OFFER. THERE ARE THREE MAIN POOL FILTER SYSTEM THE CARTIDGE SYSTEM, THE SAND SYSTEM AND THE D.E. SYSTEM. IN THIS BLOG I WILL BREAK THEM ALL DOWN AS FAR AS MAINTAINING THE POOL AND THE FILTER ITSELF.

THE CARTRIDGE SYSTEM

THE CARTIDGE SYSTEM HAS BEEN AROUND FOR YEARS AND YEARS. THE CARTIDGE SYSTEM IS PERHAPS THE EASIEST SYSTEM TO CLEAN. BUT IT IS DEFINATLY THE SYSTEM THAT IS MOST RECURRENTLY IN NEED OF A CONCENTRATED CLEAN-UP. THIS TYPE OF FILTER IS HOLDS USUALLY ONE CARTIDGE INSIDE A TANK BUT THERE ARE SOME THAT HOLD MULTIPLE CARTIDGES. THE CARTIDGES INSIDE THE TANK ARE PLEATED WITH A PAPER LIKE SCREENING. THE MATERIAL IS USUALLY COMPRISED OF POLYESTER FIBERS. THE PLEATS INCREASE THE FILTRATIONSURFACE ARE AND YOU WILL SEE CARTIDGE SYSTEMS RATED BY SQUARE FOOTAGE.THIS REFERS TO THE TOTAL AREA BY ALL OF THE PLEATS IN THE CARTRIDGE.
    THE WAY THE CARTRIDGE SYSTEM WORKS IS THE POOL WATER PASSES THROUGH THE CARTRIDGE, DEBRIS CATCHES ON THE SURFACE OF THE CARTIDGE ELEMENT. WHEN CLEAN, THE CARTRIDGE WILL TRAP LARGER PARTICLES, WITH FINER PARTICLES BEING FILTERED OUT AS PORES BECOME CLOGGED BY THE LARGER DEBRIS. CARTRIDGE FILTER WILL TRAP PARTICLES 10 TO 20 MICRONS IN SIZE. TO CLEAN THE CARTRIDGE JUST REMOVE IT FROM THE TANKE PLACE IT IN A BUCKET AND SOAK IT IN A CARTRIDGE CLEANER THAT YOU CAN PURCHASE PROM YOUR LOCAL POOL SUPPLIES STORE. LET THE CARTRIDGE SIT IN THE BUCKET FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS. WHEN YOU RELEASE THE CARTIDGE FROM THE BUCKER SIMPLE HOSE IT OFF WITH A GARDEN HOSE OR PREFABLY A POWER WASHER TO GET IN BETWEEN EACH SLOT ON THE CARTIDGE. THIS CLEANING PROCESS ISUSUALLY DONE ONCES EVERY 2 WEEKS. THE BEST WAY TO MAINTAIN A CARTRIDGE SYSTEM IS TO KEEP A BACK UP CARTIDGE TO ROTATE WITH THE OTHER. EVERY TWO WEEKS YOU SIMPLY SWITCH AND LET ONE SIT IN THE BUCKET AND THE OTHER OPERATE IN THE FILTER TANK. CARTIDGES CAN BE VERY EXPENSIVE SO BY DOING THIS YOU WOULD SAVE SOME MONEY.
    AS THE CARTRIDGE COLLECTS PARTICLES FORM THE POOL WATER PASSING THROUGH, THE BUILD-UP OF DEBRIS AND DIRT WILL CAUSE THE FLOW OF WATER TO DECREASE. IN TURN, THE PRESSURE GAUS WILL RISE UP TO 7-10 PSI ABOV THE STARTING PRESSURE WHEN THIS HAPPENS IT IS TIME TO REPLACE THE CARTRIDGE. BY KEEPING TWO CARTRIDGES AT HAND YOU CAN GET APPROXIMATLY TWO SEASON OUT OF THEM.

THE SAND FILTER

THE TRADITIONAL AND MOST COMMON METHOD OF FILTRATION IS SAND. SAND FILTERS NORMALLY USE SILICA SAND WHICH IS SPECIAL SAND NORMALLY .45 TO .55 MM ANOTHER FORM OF SAND THAT CAN BE USED IS ZEO-BEST SAND WHICH IS MADE TO DOUBLE THE LIFE SPAND OF THE SILICA SAND. THE SILICA SAND HAS SHARP EDGES THAT SERVE TO SEPARATE PARTICLES, ALLOWING FILTRATION TO TAKE PLACE. SAND FILTERS ARE THE LEAST EXPENSIVE OF THE THREE FILTER TYPES WHICH MAKE THEM VERY POPULAR. THE SAND FILTER HAS THE BACKWASH OPTION WHICH IS RECOMMENDED AT LEAST TWICE A WEEK. THE SAND FILTER DOES A GREAT JOB FOR THE MONEY AND IS THE EASIEST TO MAINTAIN. THE SAND HAS TO BE CHANGED AFTER EVERY SEASON. THE BEST TIME TO CLEAN OUT THE TANK IS AT CLOSING TIME AND THEN REFIL THE TANK WITH NEW SAND DURING OPENING SEASON.

THE D.E. FILTER

MANY POOL PROFESSIONALS CONSIDER FILTRATION DIATOMACEOUS EARTH (ALSO KNOWN AS D.E.)TO BE THE FINEST BECAUSE IT IS CAPABLE OF REMOVING SMALLER PARTICLES THAN EITHER SAND OR CARTIDGE. D.E. IS A POWDER COMPRISED OF THE FOSSILIZED REMAINS OF DIATOMS, A TYPE OF HARD-SHELLED ALGAE. THE INDIVIDUAL GRAINS OF POWDER HAVE MICROSCOPIC OPENINGS WHICH LOOK LIKE TINY SPONGES WHEN MAGNIFIED. WATER CAN PASS THROUGH THESE OPENINGS BUT PARTICLES AS SMALL AS 1 TO 3 MICRONS ARE TRAPPED DURING THE FIRST PASS THROUGH THE MEDIA, ALL D.E. FILTRS HAVE ETERNAL ELEMENTS CALLED GRIDS THAT ARE COATED WITH D.E. POWDER. IT IS THIS “FILTER CAKE” THAT STRAINS DIRT, DUST, ALGAE AND SOME FROMS OF BACTERIA FROM THE WATER LIKE SAND FILTERS, WHEN A D.E. FILTER BECOMES DIRTY, IT IS CLEANED EITHER BY BACKWASHING THE NCLOGGED D.D. TO THE “WASTE” LINE OR REGENERATING AND DRAINING. TI RESTORE FILTRATION, A FRESH “CHARGE” OF D.E.IS ADDED TO THE FILTER. D.E. POWDER IS FAIRLY INEXPENSIVE SO THE MAIN DRAWBACK TO THIS TYPE OF FILTER IS THE MAINTENANCE. WE RECOMMEND THOROUGHLY CLEANING THE D.D. GRID ELEMENTS AT LEAST TWICE A YEAR. REMOVE THE GRIDS ACCORDING TO THE INSTRUCTIONS IN YOUR OWNERS MANUAL AND HOSE OR POWER WASH THEM OFF WITH A FORCEFUL STREAM OF WATER. FILL A LARGE PLASTIC CONTAINER WITH WARM WATER AND ADD ABOUT ½ CUP OF AUTOMATIC DISHWASHER DETERGENT. SOAK THE GRIDS IN THIS SOLUTION FOR ABOUT 3-4 HOURS AFTER SOAKING, RINSE OFF THE ELEMENTS AGAIN BEFORE REPLACING THEM INSIDE THE FILTER.
    TO WRAP IT UP, SAND FILTERS ARE THE MOST ECONOMICAL OPTION BUT REQUIREPERIODIC BACKWASHING. CARTRIDGE AND D.E. FILTERS ARE MORE EXPENSIVE THAN SAND BUT OFFER BETTER FILTRATION. OF THESE TWO, THE CARTRIDGE WIL BE THE EASIEST TO MAINTAIN BUT MORE COSTLY WHEN IT COMES TO REPLACING.
    THESE FILTER SYSTEMS CAN BE FOUND AT http://www.poolandspalongisland.com/

• Co
      10th of Feb, 2009

I don't get it, what the heck does the above (outside of being in all caps) have to do with the price of eggs in Denmark???