Axia University Of Phoenixfinancial aid and all advisors

I had signed up with university of phoenix in june of 2009, i was told dont worry about anything financially that for sure i would be eligible for financial aid and that i am already eligible. So i started class and in my first week financial aid is giving me crap about my taxes and my marital status. I use to live in kansas where common law was recognized and now i moved to california and california has to recognize it. But that [censored] financial aid dept for university of phoenix said it does not and that i had to correct my taxes which i filed correctly. They said they will never accept me for financial aid until i file a 1040x and i emailed my "finance advisor" which he didnt do crap for me.See Top 10 Worst Companies in Costa Mesa, CATold him i filed correctly and i have nothing to fix and he said well sorry if you can not get financial aid then you cant continue school. I was like what the hell. . . Then he told me i owe for the two weeks of school that i attended online (Axia online) . So now i owe 344. 50 for something i was told not to worry and i was already approved by my enrollment counselor which was some young kid. I should of known when i met him because he was like a sales person if anything ! So i basically signed up to get a bill "for free"" yippie for me !!! Anybody thinking about signing up with university of phoenix please do not they are scam artists and frauds ! They will lie straight to your face, rushing you to sign up. And when you sign up they dont bother with you anymore ! So please please please do not sign up with university of phoenix. . . Of course unless you want a free bill to pay !

Comments

Jul 06, 2009

I have been at Axia of UoP since March and have had no issues with financial aid or my advisers. The enrollment was a breeze, the financial aid went through smoothly, and even after starting there someone was always in contact with me. I have my direct numbers to all advisers and they return my phone calls quickly if I have to leave a message. My academic counselor calls every 2 weeks to check in and make sure I have no questions. I am impressed with the school and the attention they show the students. I am sorry you had such a negative experience, I wish you could get the finance counselor I had. I have checked the credentials of the college, and so far every other college I have called will accept their credits as transfer credits. Axia can be a really beneficial form of education for working moms/dads, or someone who doesn't have time to sit in class all day.

• Po
      Aug 10, 2009

I have attended Axia since June 2008 and have had and absolute wonderful experience. I too, have also went through the financial aid problem because I filed held of household and had to obtain verification of my status because I am married, but IRS helped straighten that out in less than a week. I am always getting calls from my counselors and they are always available if I need help. Sorry it didn't work out for you but it's been great from me.

• Tl
      Oct 19, 2009
    Axia University Of Phoenix - OVER CHARGING
    Axia University
    Phoenix
    Arizona

Recently I became a student at the Axia University and later found that I was trapped inside of a "slavery"campus. I would never have receive breaks and always had to report to class no mattere what. The school is three credit hours 1, 034 dollars per three credit hours, that means when I graduate I am going to the old the "mandortory student loans" "Sallie Mae" over 30, 000 dollars. That is only for an Associate Degree I am trapped inside this horrible nightmare can someone help to get out!

• My
      Oct 22, 2009

Wow this complaint is ridiculous! Are you absolutely serious. You are entering an environment of higher learning and posted a comment about financial aid and how that is the responsibility of the University to show you how to correctly file your taxes. This is priceless. Try another school and see if you don't run into the same problem. Federal Student Aid is ran by the federal government so the criteria for all students applying is the same. Which means if your tax information is incorrect its incorrect and no school can fix that for you. That is between you and the federal government. So my advice before you continue to scream about a university not accepting you in without payment. Understand how financial aid works in its totality. I guess it doesn't look like you will be attending college after all.

• Ro
      Jan 09, 2010

I feel the same way, being upset with financial aid because your taxes weren't filed correctly doesn't seem to me it would be the schools fault. I think people always look for someone to blame instead of there self

• Ho
      May 06, 2010

Complete the classes that you are in and do not signon to the new ones. If you do not post they can not charge you for the class. Then go in and request your transcript after you get your grades from these 2 classes. They were wanting me to pay a 191.00 difference to go from online to campus, and after I compeleted my class, I did a withdrawl due to no one contacting me back. Get done, this is a trap and the UOP is not looked at in most employers eyesight, other than a piece of paper.

• He
      Jun 23, 2010

I have to agree with him about getting the run around with financial aid. I too had to file a 1040x when I was told by the government that I filed correctly. However, instead of complaining and being angry about it, I filed it. I didn't even have to wait until I received the official copy of it, all I had to do was send in the same form to the college that I sent into the IRS. (Who, by the way, informed the school that I had filed correctly.) I love the University of Phoenix, with the exception of my financial aid. I am still getting the run around about my refund, which really makes me angry, and I had a twisted financial aid advisor at first. Now, I have a good one who has done in less than one week, what it took the previous one since April to do. My teachers are excellent, and now, so are all my advisors.

• He
      Jun 23, 2010

ALL schools with online classes charge more for internet courses. ALL of them. Plus, a degree is a degree from an accredited university, which I may add, the University of Phoenix is. When a person is taking online classes, it is for the convenience of being able to take these classes at basically your own pace. If you want convenience, you have to pay for it. Plus, a friend of mine is taking classes through Vatterot college, here in Joplin, MO and she too is going to wind up owing 30, 000 for her associate's degree. While it is an outstanding amount of money, it is not impossible to pay back, and it is definately worth it. There is no question about whether I feel it is worth it to pay back that kind of money or not, because I do. A good education, such as the one I am receiving from Phoenix, is priceless.

• Ky
      Aug 04, 2010

University of Phoenix / Axia College has ripped me OFF! They lied, cheated me and so on and so fourth... They are nothing but a bunch of scam artist. If you are a victim as well PLEASE send your complaint/letter to me and I will help take action I am working on starting a class action and notifying the attorney general and department of education. You can mail your letter/complaint along with ANY proof to Ms. Staten, 2661 E Adams Court, Cudahy, WI 53110 or email [protected]@yahoo.com in the subject line write Axia Complaint

• Ce
      Sep 15, 2010

The University of Phoenix is a joke. I was having a smooth ride until I was appoved for a grant. Once approved I was "randomly selected" for an audit and the school lessened my grant amount which wasn't much to complain about but then some four months later when it still was in the "certification" process I was told that I would have to pay out of pocket until the grant was certified and I have nothing but A's and B's. If that wasn't enough, I had a family trajedy and emailed my academic advisor for over a month, with no response, to request my fourth set of classes be pushed out for the maximum time allowed. Well when arguing about my government approved grant that they still hadn't given me, I was told my advisor wasn't responding because she was no longer my advisor and neither the old advisor nor the new one kept me abreast of the situation. I was even told the new advisor was an "asset to my graduation team" when she did not even take the time to call or email me to let me know who she was and that she would be my advisor. I found all this out the Friday before the classes were to start and conveniently enough I could not address the issue with anyone prior to that Monday. They suck!

May 12, 2011

I signed up around August 2009, was told i can sign up to get finacial help to pay for the entire schooling online that was around 15 grand or something, then they were to send me 2 different disembursement checks while i was doing this online to help me pay for anything i needed.Phone mins for my cell phone, a computer if i needed that, anything basically so i can take care of things to do the classes online.I did get my first check almost a month after i started classes.The next check i recieved in December. I was told if i drop out anytime i would have to pay back those 2 checks that were deposited into my bank. Or if i didnt pass a class i would end up having to pay to retake that class.WEll i was working days and nites taking care of my kids and everything else, doing my class work online and doing well actually better than i ever did in school 20yrs ago. Then around April 2010 i had the 2 classes for the 9 wks like we have been doing how it changed every 9 wks, so one class happend to be Intermediate Alegbra.Now for one im no good at Math period! and two we had choices in high school to sign up for algebra if we wanted, well of course i wasnt about to do that. So around this 4th wk of this class online i was already at a C-, so this discouraged me, and i asked counselors what to do and how get help.The teacher for this class suggested i take a class outside of the home.I was like wow seriously! seems how i already worked as much as i did, how could i find time to pay for a class to train me better in algebra? so with very little help or anything positive i gave up and quit.The status is i am withdrawn from Axia since May 2010. But recently this week, , [protected] i had a deposit of over $2000 put into my savings account for me from the ACH/Appollo which was how the checks before were deposited and who they came from.I have been getting letters since i quit last May from Nelnet the place i guess they sign you up with to repay the loans.They sent me one the other day saying i had to pay them and there was interest being added on seems how i havent attempted anything.Kinda hard to do now since i had to quit my job Feb 2011. So not sure how there site says something as far as getting assistance or something to make a payment, change your repayment option, apply for a deferment or forbearance, and much more! And according to that site i now owe over $800.Which is going to be impossible to pay right now, when im barely making it month to month on hardly nothing and being a single parent def not easy.So has this happend to anyone? Im not sure why Phoenix would put the deposit in my savings account of that high amount knowing I havent been online and they have me as a withdraw status since May 2010. The bank teller told me at first i could just take it out seems how its good, and if the school made a mistake thats on them.But it would be my fault im sure if i even touched that money and id prob be the one thrown in jail or having to pay back more than i already owe.Any opinions out there what to do? ive contacted all i can about this and only have heard from Nelnet but not Phoenix if this is there actually mess up.

May 12, 2011

And its worrying me now cause Im not sure my tax preparer i had for this past year handled the 1099 or whatever it is that the university says you are suppose to put on ur taxes.

May 13, 2011

Oh also im not sure how many credits i have with the university but im sure there was a few with the grades i kept while i was enrolled, and was even told by the counselors if i ever drop out or finish i can have my credits transferred if i go to another school or decide to come back to Axia ..anyone know how that really works????

• Co
      Jun 26, 2011

I would have to agree that the UOP is really a mess, I am currently enrolled and they gave me such a hard time. It seemed like the enrollment advisor called me everday until they finally convinced me that finacially I would be covered including my discount I would get. Well on the first block of classes and I had the hardest time because my wife and I been separated for the past two years but on the finanical aid they only ask if you are married, divorced, or single, so I was neither one because techinally we ar still married..little did I know that that would give me the blues, so I had to go to my taxpreparer and explained to them because UOP said I did my taxes incorrectly I filed single/head of household. Finally after sending a letter, and my taxpreparer explaining they gave me the approval. Here in Louisiana they do not have legally separated. So I received first dismurment and that took it all because it paid for 4 classes, now recentlty has of 6-24-11 I was suppose to have a some coming back to me (which I was going to use to buy me another laptop for school).My finance advisor held it for the next block (8/14/11) because he failed to register me for the next finanacial aid...I had to find out when I called the school, he wasnt going to even call me and tell me nothing. When he thought I was going to have to pay the school he called me every single day and constantly sent emails. I am starting to look at transferring to another school that is closer to home that offers online.

• Ni
      Jul 22, 2012

Well, it seems to me unfortunate that so many individuals have had bad experiences from the University of Phoenix. Although I have never attended, nor do I plan to attend the University of Phoenix, it is apparent that many have had similar financial disputes with the University, and as an end result, have taken a grievous loss. While others have had good experiences with the University, it is also evident these individuals are in no way empathetic toward those who have not shared the same wonderful experiences. In many ways, the feelings, or lack thereof from these individuals, is a reflection of the indecorous nature of the University staff.

While the University affords seemingly good opportunities, those who are in unfortunate financial circumstances are left out to dry. Why is it that our educational institutions care less about educating, and are more concerned about the profits they rake in? It is no wonder we ranked 25th in Math, 17th in Science, and 14th in Reading out of 34 countries. The very individuals who need a chance to receive a proper education are being left behind. I would like to express my deepest condolences to those who have been failed by the education system. They have not only failed you, but have also failed our Country, by allowing this nation to fall behind.

Please, for those of you, who have been down on your luck, do not be disparaged! If you want to change the system then you have to become a part of it. So, it is my hope that all of you persevere in your endeavors to be the best that you can be. On that day when you become a part of that system, which has kept you down for so long, it will be up to you to recognize and correct its inherent fallacies. It is up to you to change the system from the inside out, so there is not another starving mind being refused the same opportunities afforded to those of great wealth, or a higher social status! We must unite as one nation, under God!

In closing, I would like for those reading this post to reflect on the words spoken by a man who changed a corrupt system for the betterment of society.

"A society governed in terms of double standards is self- destructive".
    - Mahatma Gandhi