Avon / scam/fraud

1 NM, United States Review updated:

Around December of 08, I had a Avon catalog hanging on my front door of my home, in the catalog was a flyer, telling me to sign up TODAY to start selling Avon, to make more money. And it would only cost $10.00 to start.

I over looked it and ignored it thinking, 'yeah right'... Then months went by and I started thinking I would look into it. So I contacted a Rep through Avons web site. And she contacted me with in 5 minutes of me going to the avon web site.

We set up a meeting, for her to give me my Avon catalogs and for me to pay her the $10.00... During our meeting, she informed me that they were in the last week of campaign 9... She asked me If I wanted to wait until campaign 10, since there was only a week left in campaign 9. And I told her, yes I would rather wait until campaign 10 to start Avon.
She handed me the Avon bag filled with avon catalogs, as I looked through it, I seen that all the catalogs were for campaign 9. And I questioned that. I said why would I pay $10.00 for old catalogs, when I'm not supposed to start until campaing 10. She assured me it was no problem at all, and that any avon rep can always use catalogs from the previous campaign.

So I was advertising Avon in my salon, to salon clients that I have had for 7 years. I was getting many orders, since mothers day was right around the corner. When I went to put my order in online, I seen that my account information was showing me as owing them $7.00... Now I was confused because this was my first order, and there shouldn't be a reason for me to owe them anything at this point. So I called the Avon 'help line'... First let me say that their call center is over seas somewhere, and while the people who answer the phones speak english, their accents are so strong that you can't really understand what they are saying very well. It makes the phone call longer than it needs to be, because you really have to listen to understand the rep, and have them repeat their selves.

Anyways, so I'm going through this struggle to try and understand the rep. What annoyed me first was, when you call the avon 'help line'... the automated system ask you for your account number and name. And of course you state that over the phone, then the avon rep answers the phone and again ask you for your account number and name. that's annoying because they are making me repeat myself.

I asked the rep why there was a charge of $7.00, that i owe them when this is my first order. She informed me that since I was taking orders from OLD campaign catalogs that I was being charged a late fee.
Yet I was told by the rep who signed my up that I could use the campaign 9 catalogs with NO PROBLEM!! Yeah right!

Then I was supposed to have campaign 10 order placed no later than May 4th, to have it arrive by May 7th. Remember my orders were for my clients that I have had for 7 years, and they were gifts that they purchased for their mothers day gifts. I placed the order online May first. My order amount was $155.00 but I paid $185.00 so that I would extra money in the account for future orders ( as a just incase).
Then on May 5th, then sent me a order confirmation email with a link to track the order shipment. I did that, and the tracking showed that my order was in another city at 1:00 that after noon, and that it was 'out for delivery'... the city it was in was ONLY 3 HOURS away from me... It said that they order would arrive May 7th.

So i thought GREAT! it will be here in time for mothers day . Then on May 7th, by 5:00 pm, it hadn't arrived. So I tracked it again, and it still showed that it was 'out for delivery'... I called this avon's so called help line for reps, and they informed me that my order was in fact out for delivery and that they deliver up until 8pm...

That upset me, because the rep who signed me up said that it would be best for me to have all delieveries sent to my salon since someone had to sign for the order, and I'm at work most of the day, I get off at 7pm.
So I was worried then, that the order might come after my salon was closed. The rep told me to wait until 7pm, if it wasn't here by then, to call back the next day.

I did just that, I called the next morning and told them it never arrived and I wanted to know where it was at. They told me that my order had been "LOST", and that they would sent a duplicate order out the following monday, because it was may 8th which was a friday. I told them I couldn't accept that, because the order was for mothers day gifts and My customers were EXTREMELY upset, because now they didn't have money or the time to go out and get a gift for their mothers in time. So basically since Avon dropped the ball and didn't get my order to me, these customers were mad at me for their mothers days being ruined. These customers told me to cancel the order. So I told avon NOT to waste their money on shipping, to re-send another order, instead I told them to cancel the order and I want to stop selling Avon because these customers that are uspet are also my salon clients that I have had for 7 years, and now this is hurting my salon business cause these customers are mad at me.

Avon assured me they WOULD not re-send the order. They told me they would send a letter stating that I didn't receive the order, and that I was supposed to sign this letter, then return it to them, and once they got the letter they would then refund my money. I asked why i did i have to mess with this letter at all, and the rep told me I had to because they need "PROOF" that I didn't get my order, this shocked me even more, because they are the ones that told me my order was lost!

Anyways, I called them back May 11th, which was a monday, because I went to log into my avon account online and I couldn't, they had deleted it. So I called them to ask them, since you cancelled my account online does that mean that you have refunded my $185.00, they then told me that the money won't be refunded for 30 days, and that they only owed me $43.00!!! I asked them how is that? When I paid you $185.00 total, and the order was only $155.00 and I NEVER GOT THE ORDER? They didn't have any straight answers for me.

Then today, May 14th, UPS comes into my salon with the order from Avon, I refused the order, and then called their so called avon help line again, I asked them why they resent the order when I told them not to, and they promised they wouldn't? They told me is was 'proceedure', so I asked them if the letter had been sent out, and when should it arrive, they told me they DIDN"T KNOW!

I'am now wanting to sue Avon and contact all news stations that I can, to spread the word on how they have treated me, I know there are many other reps that have been screwed over just like I have. Please we need to all pull together and put a stop to this.

I'm also shocked at their lack of conern. Like I said I own 2 salons, and I have donated products to avon for their fund raisers. And I could have also sold TONS of avon for them through my salons. I guess they don't really care at all. I will never say a good word towards avon or their products, I will NEVER donate to them ever again, I will not allow anyone to ever bring avon catalogs in to my salons.

Avon is nothing more than a company who screws people out of money, yet they claim they care so much, yet when you need them to help you and do their job correctly, they DON"T CARE!

Le

Comments

• Wo
      27th of May, 2009

I have been a very successful Avon Rep for many years now. I have never had a problem getting the products that my customers order. I have found that on the rare occassion that I have had a problem that I couldn't resolve on my own that my District Sales Manager and Customer Service has been more than helpful.

I have a couple of problems with your complaint, The first being that you say a tracking number for your shipment was provided, THAT means the package was shipped. You can't blame Avon for a lost shipment. That would be UPS's fault. UPS made the mothers day gifts late and upset your customers, NOT Avon.

Second, as Avon reps we never pay for products until we deliver the items to the customers and get payment from them. So why would you pay before even receiving the shippment, and over paying at that? Thats like someone coming into your salon, paying and tipping, before you ever cut their hair. It doesn't make any since.

As far as the late fee. You probably incurred this because you submitted it as a late campaign 9 order instead of submitting it as a campaign 10 order and just backordering out of the campaign 9 books. I do this all the time along with thousands of other reps without ever incurring any added fees or late fees.

Ofcourse you couldn't access your account. YOU cancelled it. As far as them reshipping the items, what you never make mistakes??? Avon deals with over 700, 000 reps worldwide everyday. Sometimes mistakes happen. They are easy to fix if you just keep your cool and don't expect to be the ONLY rep in the world who matters.

Lastly, as a fundraising rep. Let me be the first to tell you that by donating to a charity that an Avon rep is sponsoring, you are not donating to Avon. 100% of all donations go to the charity. If you bought a product at the fundraiser then yes the rep has to buy the product from Avon at a discounted cost but this is not a donation on YOUR part. The rep then makes the donation out of what would normally be HER profit from the sale. So you are not hurting Avon by not donating for a fundraiser. You are hurting the charity and your own KARMA.

I hate it when someone just can't hack it so they feel that they need to scare others away as well. I work hard at what I do and am very successful at it. Many in my downline are also very successful and have successful downlines of their own. You can't just sit back and expect everything to be done for you. This business takes time and work. It is not for everyone, but most of us understand that we will need to be adults when problems arise and work toward success.

27th of May, 2009

Wow, "A Working Rep" sure is selling me on Avon, LOL. Anyway, the same kind of nightmares happened to me when I first signed up. Avon used a cheapie delivery company that was so bad they threw my order on a different Avon reps porch just because my boxes said Avon. They never even looked at my name or street address. That ruined that campaign, trust me. Then it was nightmares like the cheapie truck company refusing to ship because of their own initial mistake. After that, they said they attempted delivery at 7am on a Saturday and no one answered, and their was no safe place to leave the order, so they sent my order BACK TO AVON. I am NOT kidding. First of all, we were home, and no one knocked, so they were clearly lying. They just didn't want to deal with my deliveries anymore. I begged and pleaded with Avon over several phone calls to please switch me to a reliable carrier like UPS (some reps hate UPS, but I love them) -- and it took many HOURS on the phone to a TOLL number speaking to customer service agents who couldn't understand me/vice versa -- before Avon finally agreed to make a permanent change.

I survived Avon's hazing right? But that wasn't enough. Billing errors, damaged shipments (in box, not by carrier), missing items, Leadership reps threatening and harrassing me anytime they saw my brochure, ad or flyer (even reps sending me emails demanding that I recruit!) ad naseum.

Well, be warned: the Avon hazing does not end. The hoop-jumping, the profit killing errors, the customer failings (bounced checks, non-payers, late-payers, post-daters, habitual returners, etc.), and return fees (for shipping) just keep piling up like a horrible demolition derby.

If you can find a profit under that pile of debris, you a) survived the never-ending hazing and b) are a cruel, greedy woman working the Leadership bonuses for profit.

A fundraising meanie is a new one for me. I guess they belong in a class of their own.

• Pa
      27th of May, 2009

My gut just always told me no to avon...I have just started Mary Kay and the experience has been wonderful. They have a huge support program and help system that unless you experience it you can't believe it. They support you no matter what way you find is best for you. Every shipment has been on time. If I mess up I just make a call and it is fixed really no questions asked. Avon used to be something my grandmother did, but I really don't see the need when most of their products are over priced and sounds like a run around of stress that no one needs

• Pa

meaning?

• La
      8th of Jul, 2009

I totally agree with "working Avon rep". 95% of the things that go wrong is the Reps fault. They seem to be unable to understand how this business is working and that its in fact not just a part time job --If you want to earn a lot of money at least. Also you can't blame Avon for mistakes they didn't make, like the shipment. I have to kinda agree with the costumer service and DM problems. I can just say "Do it yourself". I don't even ask my DM anymore. I just find it out myself. Never rely on anybody but yourself

@Pamela dell
    Nice try selling your business. But please don't say anything if you don't have a idea what you talking about. Mary Kay has nothing to do with this.

Lara

• Ec
      9th of Jul, 2009

I understand there are frustrations in any direct sellin business, however:

1. AVON uses UPS. I'm not sure what "cheapie" company MAR 3 is refering to.

• Ca
      10th of Jul, 2009

AVON does use a cheapie delivery company and they don't even have a phone number! Where are you located because I live in Oklahoma and would die to have all my orders delivered via UPS. I am dealing with my order being lost and the people at AVON customer service who cannot even speak English cant even give me a phone number so I can call the delivery company. When I get my tracking number it says SDN delivery network, and on their website they have no info on how to contact them, this is ridiculous. I just got off of the phone with AVON and the customer service person helped me none so I demanded a manager. Can you request AVON permanently change all your orders to be shipped via UPS? I have had numerous problems with AVON and this company the use to deliver so I can assure you they do not use UPS in Oklahoma.

Frustrated Rep

• To
      19th of Jul, 2009

I have to say that it sounds like being a rep can be tough, and Mary Kay has a good product, however I feel it is highly overpriced.

If I'm going to spend more on makeup I am going to hit a Mac counter or spend a few hours in Sephora, but I LOVE AVON!

I think the products are incredible and the prices are just fantastic. Especially nowadays when everyone is on the broke side, myself included, I have still been able to affordably treat myself to products I love. I don't know about being a rep but I love being a customer.

• La
      21st of Jul, 2009

@ calsallee1 If you mean by cheapy company Veloycity, or something like that, I love them they deliver my avon orders always one or 2 days earlier then ups always did. I love that company never had any problems in fact they are better then ups.

22nd of Jul, 2009

"EC99 +3 Votes
    I understand there are frustrations in any direct sellin business, however:

1. AVON uses UPS. I'm not sure what "cheapie" company MAR 3 is refering to."

Avon does not use UPS except for the first couple of orders (this is to give a new rep a good impression.) So either EC99 is a complete newbie, or she lucked into an area that doesn't have a cheapie delivery service. Everyone else has to call multiple times begging to be switched to UPS -- a far better carrier than the faux-company in my case. It took many HOURS to a toll (as in the rep pays) over several DAYS and WEEKS to convince Avon to switch me permanently to UPS. I sacrificed a day in shipping time, but I far prefer actually GETTING my order to playing the Stay-Home-All-Day-Saturday-Only-to-Never-Get-My-Order game.

"2. AVON has a national call center for representatives based in Ohio, along with a facility overseas. It is random which one you are directed to, but if you don't understand the agent, ask for someone else. They can and will TRANSFER you. Common sense folks."

Again, EC99 is either a complete newbie or an inadvertant? liar, because only President's Club members (and higher) get access to US reps. I heard all the tricks to try to get an English-speaking rep. NONE of them work. And when you asked to be transferred, they will NOT do it. If you ask for someone who speaks English as their Native tongue, they will NOT do it. When you ask to speak to a supervisor, they will NOT transfer you to one.

"3. If you are a rep with a website THERE IS TRAINING PROVIDED ON THE SITE!! try reading the training, rather than expecting a silver platter. It is amazing the amount of information supplied to reps, right at their finger tips, that they choose to ignore."

Many of us have taken the training already, so what's your point? Silver platter? Again, these are the lies that real reps face, people. The same lies over and over and over again.

"4. AVON is the supplier, but this is YOUR business. Profits require work. If you don't want to work for it, don't complain about not getting it."

Avon lies about the rewards. The District Managers lie. The Leadership Reps lie. I've put many, many months of full-time work into this business only to see NO return. How many tradeshows have YOU worked? How many businesses have YOU formed exclusive advertising relationships with? How many THOUSANDS of brcohures have YOU distributed? Chorus: The same lies over and over and over again.

"5. It is not AVON's fault that the person you spoke to mislead you about past campaigns. Did you ever think to, I don't know, find out the information YOURSELF? If you are selling new products to loyal customers, isn't it YOUR responsibility to know what you are doing, rather than rely on someone you just met?"

Yes, it is Avon's fault. They are paying their DSMs and DMs to lie. Don't believe me? Do a little research on the internet. Both current and former employees talk about the BS they have to feed new representatives. I did think to research myself. I found out that any company that uses the Pyramid Scheme format ends up costing their recruits money -- instead of returning profits. Fully 99%. I don't even touch the recruiting side of Avon because they have gone the way of evil MLM ### with their Leadership 'pograms'. The Leadership women creep our town out and make it THAT MUCH HARDER for LEGITIMATE representatives to gain traction.

"Again, there are many successful reps out, some because of fantastic support and some despite horrible support. What they have in common is common sense and a willingness to work to achieve success. AVON offers multiple avenues for support and getting information. It is up to you to use them. "

Many successful reps. Let's count them. 9 million reps in North America. Of that, 1% make money. That's 90, 000, not even the population of a major city. 'Course you can find one or two reps out their; elevate them on a pedastal (can we say Lisa Wilbur?), keep posting their stories over and over again; and conive to convince new marks that they can make money.

"despite horrible support" says it ALL. If you hope to go sales-only, expect HORRIBLE support. Because that's what you get with back-stabbing Avon.

Is it any coincedence there's a male at the helm now? The president "Tom" who tells women how wef really need to be (money-hungry, coniving Leadership reps susceptible to donkey-and-the-carrot false promises.) And where is JUNG in all this? She's basically a CEO turned Public Relations Director. Many stock websites say she is one of the most OVERPAID CEOs out there. In other words, she's not earning her keep.

So in the meantime, Tom is driving the bus. And I don't particularly see why a man with clear cut greedy values is leading a group who is-- by vast majority -- women. I don't see the need for women to be forced to take on MALE values just to succeed. I like my values the way they are, thank you. And I will not deceive my gender into putting themselves into debt.

• Ec
      31st of Jul, 2009

However- calling me a newbie and a liar is just rude. My mother works for the call center in Ohio, so I know they exist. Maybe the president's club and higher are the only ones with direct phone numbers, but the center takes calls from reps of all levels. Some get the numbers from their DMs. Guess they can't all be the evil goblins you claim they are if these DMs are willing to give their people the phone number for support...

Also- the Indian call center can and DOES transfer people. All the time. Whether they are supposed to or not. No, they may not transfer the first time you ask, because they are supposed to try and help. Also, they WILL transfer you to a supervisor if you ask. Again, maybe not the first time, because they are trying to help. Supervisors cannot take every call that comes in just because a rep is unhappy with being told no once in awhile. So yes, the phone center specialist will try to help you before they transfer you. It is their job. But if you really want a supervisor, they transfer you.

"Is it any coincedence there's a male at the helm now? The president "Tom" "

"Many successful reps. Let's count them. 9 million reps in North America. Of that, 1% make money"

3rd of Aug, 2009

Working Avon! I totally agree with you. I used to sell Avon and looking to start again after a year. The only frustrations I had was not getting what I wanted and having to wait and that's because I wanted my product now not two campaigns later. But all in all it was extra money for me 250-350 amonth. I recurited 10 people who 6 are still selling. Thats great! It was fun and it was my business. You control the money you make but how much time and effort you put in. The story way above makes no sense at all, since you don't even pay for order till you put in your next order which is two weeks later. My customers loved because sometimes they needed alittle more time to pay. It was flexible. Plus you can order 2 campaigns back so no late charge should have been assessed. even when I assessed a late charge because it was my fault they would waive it for me. Can't complain. I will probably start selling again soon. It's fun and a great way to meet other women. And I have to say I didn't put in 40hrs of hard work with Avon. I would put in maybe 10-15hrs a week to earn 250-350 so your not going to become rich!

• Ar
      12th of Sep, 2009

I love selling AVON! I just started but my District Manager is so helpful. And they have training on the website. So I am very sorry that leary had a bad experience. I hope it doesn't scare others away from the extra money you can make selling AVON. Not to mention the items you get for almost half price. Mary Kay is a lot more expensive and not any better quality, in my opinion, pamela dell.
    www.youravon.com/stevieduvall

13th of Sep, 2009

"I apologize for assuming Avon uses UPS for all shipments. I found out they do use local delivery services once the shipments get to main areas. I should have looked that up.

Also- the Indian call center can and DOES transfer people. All the time."

No, they don't. Not the dozens of time I tried to get transferred. I think what you are referring to is Leadership status reps. They get a different phone number for customer service than us. So do President's Clubs members. Now if they accidentally called the number printed on the invoice instead of their priviledged phone number, yes, they would get transferred.

But the other reps? NO. Just try it.

"Also, they WILL transfer you to a supervisor if you ask. Again, maybe not the first time, because they are trying to help. Supervisors cannot take every call that "

No, they don't. I asked, begged, pleaded on multiple occassions, trying different times of day. No, they do not.

"I'm going to ask again: If you are selling new products to loyal customers, isn't it YOUR responsibility to know what you are doing, rather than rely on someone you just met?"

I have absolutely no idea what this is referring to. Someone I just met? Huh? Isn't an Avon employee who is trained and salaried to instruct us SUPPOSED to be the one we turn to for help? Where are we supposed to get our experience, thin air? Of course we refer to our upline. What do you mean someone we just met? Customer service? Our upline?

Many of us have taken all of the training modules early in our selling history. So just what the heck are you even referring too? Of course we know our product to the best of ability. This means naught when it comes to recruiting scams.

"You never answered my question, just kept blaming avon. Not everything is their fault. You have to take responsibility at some point. Yes, I'm sure there are DMs and reps that lie. Of course, there are bosses in every company that lie. Just like there are employees at every company that refuse to accept responsibility for their own mistakes..."

Um, check out all of the MLM buster websites. Yes, Avon DMs, DSMs, and trained Leadership reps (those who buy into the con) are instructed to make their downline feel it's their own fault if they cannot work the shell game right.

If I made an error on an order, I'd accept responsibility. If Avon totally FUDGED UP my order with leaking product, missing items, wrongly billed items, and defective items, so I will NOT take repsonsibility for their fudge ups.

If Avon over recruits to the point where if you try, you almost get your head snapped off by women so sick of Avon recruiters coming to our town knocking on their doors, then it's Avon's fudge up. And where is it they are taking responsibility? Oh, that's right, they aren't.

"Is it any coincedence there's a male at the helm now? The president "Tom" "

Who is this Tom you refer to? The Avon website lists Elizabeth Smith (pretty sure that's a woman) as president. In fact, there is no Tom listed on their executive team page. I'm sure there is a Tom out there somewhere, but if you are going to call him president of the company so you can hang your perceived evils on him, make sure you have your facts straight."

I cannot believe you haven't bothered to read a Representative's Times in how long? Wow, this is very telling. His name is splashed over every issue. Tom Kelly. I did make a mistake that he is a Vice President. Senior Vice President, US Direct Sales. The GOD of our Rep times who tells us how to work the cons to the best of our advantage -- well, Avon's advantage, that is.

This is the only major player -- other than Andrea Jung -- showcased in our newsletters.

Since you had to look up the President of the company yourself, you less informed than I am.

ok, it's easy to make this claim, but where do you get your information? Without a source, you lack credibility. Considering Avon doesn't make money unless reps do, I have a feeling your numbers are WAY off base"

Since Avon fluffs their lies by ONLY collecting and sharing data on ESTABLISHED reps, they can make claims that are completely skewed. But they don't even dare go about flying those false flags -- because they know they'd get jumped.

An Established Rep is a rep who has been with Avon a year or longer. How convenient to dump the stats of the reps who quit because of market saturation, poor shipping practices, overcharges, outsourcing, cost of business supplies, competitive/theiving reps, personal threats, recruiters who invade their town every two months like clockwork, and a MYRIAD of other reasons.

The two I read most often are backordered/missing items/poor shipping practices -- and unable to get anything resolved through Customer Service.

If customer service were SO nice and SO professional and really DID transfer calls, would reps be quitting because of this? NO. So please get YOUR facts.

Did you read that Avon just outsourced a bunch more of the US Call Center jobs? Wow, EC99, hope your Mom doesn't have to move to India to keep her job. Or is it Mexico this time?

"Also, your comment about doing research and finding curent and former employees-- there are also current and former employees that say the exact oposite. For every person out there that complains, like you, there are other people, like me, that have something positve to say. That's the internet for you =D"

Actually, no, I have never read a compliment from a salaried Avon employee who wasn't still currently employed with Avon. Not a single one. I've found comments aplenty from former employees, and even a woman who was interviewed by Avon for a salaried district manager position --

who was so dismayed that she was being trained to con new women into signing up with Avon because Avon only makes their real money off the new sign up who in their hoodwinked state, order stockups, demos, samples, etc., thinking there's actually room for them to sell Avon in their town.

'Course a Leadership rep pipes in with braggart claims of income. But anytime I try to pin one down about the inventory stacked in their house, or if they count gasoline or downline gifts -- or anything, really -- as a business expense, they just slither away.

13th of Sep, 2009

Here is a state that Avon DID share in a recent news article:

That they have over 50% turnover every year.

Now because both Mary Kay and Avon work desperately hard to hide the impact of turnover reps (the majority, remember!), they don't track their sales numbers and publish them for us. Avon goes so far as publishing info on their so-called "Established" reps (let's say "Survivors of the First Year), again, they share no real profit figures. Because even the highest tiers of Leadership don't submit their numbers (including expenses ) to Avon.

Yes, Avon could (and should) ask for this information. Or survey Leaders to get it. But they won't. Because the vast majority of reps operating in a pyramid loose money. Over 99%. mlm-thetruth.com, and multiple other mlm buster websites.

Now if a rep avoids the recruting scam and sells only, they GREATLY increase their odds of making a profit. 1 out of 10. Yes, odds are only 10% that even if you avoid the Pyramid side (Multi-Level Marketing) that you can actually make a profit with Avon.

Where did I get this figure? From several older, long-term respected reps at Avon who keep good tabs on their downline. They estimate that only one out of 10 actually make a profit.

If you wish to question them, put them on the spot, you'd have to go to the Avon community board that's only open to reps. Scary place. Only for the brave.

13th of Sep, 2009

BTW, when the question was asked, it was referring only to reps who don't recruit. Otherwise known as "Sales Only Reps." It still mystifies me that a Leadership rep will brag "I make xyz amount of money working abc hours" without any supporting expense report or Profit & Loss statement at all. How are we supposed to believe this? They could be referring to sales ... or gross profit before expenses ... or their single highest check Avon sent them.

Why is it whenever I ask about expenses, Leadership representatives disappear? Or, wait, even suddenly quit?

• Hc
      3rd of Oct, 2009

Well I just became Avon's latest victim. As an e-rep I am to be paid by direct deposit on the 15th and the 1st of each month. When it became the 17th I called to find out where my money was. The supervisor told me that the DD system wasn't working and that I would have to wait until the 1st for my earnings deposit. So here it is the 3rd and STILL no money. I called today, the supervisor said that because I indicated that I felt it was illegal to not produce my earnings as stated in the contract, he forwarded my account to the legal department. They decided to issue a check on the 28th and it's STILL not here...5 days later.

All I was given today was total attitude. They don't care in the least bit and kept running around my questions. They must have the same line every time since it's obvious they scam their reps.

I won't be selling their products anymore and I plan to make all 100 of my clients aware of how deceitful this company is.

10th of Oct, 2009

HCP94, thank you for sharing this experience.

Many reps are switching over to being eReps because the odds of getting backordered/missing items are reduced.

Thank you for the heads up that eReps won't get paid as promised by Avon.

Some reps might pipe in that Avon doesn't pay reps by checks, but when it comes to eReps, yes, they send out a physical checks as long as the rep has no outstanding returns and no existing balance owed to Avon. eReps are the exception. Avon has a section where eReps can set up Direct Deposit.

HCP94, I'm so sorry this happened to you. Please let us know what happens in the future, especially if you ever get your money or not. And how are your customers handling this? TIA.

• Su
      2nd of Apr, 2010

How about how AVON just charges you for random things? Like, they decide they are going to send you promotional items and new full size products for you to use as a sample to try to sell? Everything was going fine. I was make a decent amount of money for the small amount of customers I have. Then they charged me this crazy amount of money for promotional items that THEY decided that I needed to increase my business. I ended up paying them more money then I made in the first couple of months. It's very frustrating.

• Ro
      9th of Apr, 2010

WOW!!! Murphy's Law . . . . over and over.

I read the main posting and only scanned the rest, which seem to get more ridiculous as they go.

I know it's old, but I would like to address the main posting.

First of all, Avon has been around for over a hundred years and they didn't stay in business out of scamming folks.

You made a few mistakes probably caused by being misinformed and not well-educated by the person who signed you up.

Your first mistake was paying Avon before you got your merchandise. Avon gives you until the following campaign is due to be ordereded (2 weeks later). This allows you the time to deliver your orders and get paid by your customers. You, then, take your profits and pay Avon. This is why they give you a credit line. In your case $200 (which goes up quickly). What this means is that they are willing to trust you with $200 worth of merchandise in your possession ("and hey, pay us in a couple of weeks"). You didn't just pay Avon what you were going to owe in a couple of weeks, but you paid them extra. (?!!!) You have to qualify for the amount of credit that you are given because, like I said, they are giving you this amount of merchandise, trusting that you will pay them in two weeks. Why do they set a limit as to how much they can trust you with? Because, as in my own personal experience with girls in my own downline, some of them disappear after getting the merchandise. They get the merchandise and never pay Avon. Who's doing the scamming here?

Your upline Rep did a poor job of educating you. You were not charged $7 because you were using old brochures. You were charged $7 because you placed a Campaign 9 order (after your scheduled time to order Campaign 9 had expired). You should have ordered Campaign 10 instead. Yes you can use Campaign 9 brochures, and you can also use Campaign 8 brochures when placing your Campaign 10 order. You can order from three brochures each time you place an order. You can use the current Campaign brochure + two prior Campaign brochures. When you are submitting an order online, you are prompted to choose which campaing you are ordering. It must always be the most current campaign (the one due at this time). If you select an old campaign and it's past "your" scheduled time to order that campaign, you will be charged a late fee. Why? Because it's late ! You are given a schedule of when your specific Campaign orders are due. The reason there are schedules is because they are getting order from all over the country and this is a way to process all orders for efficiently. For example, your orders are due every other Monday, while mine are due every other Tuesday. We have schedules that we have to follow.

Avon has the best return policy that I've ever seen. You can return anything, any time, for any reason. It can be something filthy dirty . . . . they'll accept it. They give you a very long time to ship the item back. Yet, hey will credit your account immediately when you submit the credit request online. Immediately ! Overseas customer service is terrible in reference to the language barrier, but they never say no. You can even get credit for charges that you received due to you not understanding the policy correctly (like your $7 charge for order the wrong Campaign). If you give them a valid reason as to why you should be given a credit, they will give you the credit right away. It is so easy to get credits from them. Avon invoicing could also improve. It can be confusing sometimes.

You should bear in ming that they don't have control if your UPS guy or other delivery service misplaces your package.

Avon is a business that exists to make money. It is also a very reputable company. It hasn't been around for over 100 years by accident or by scamming people. Avon allows you the opportunity to earn a very good living if you so wish. Avon has excellent core values but the people that work for Avon are human beings. Human beings are flawed and they can make mistakes when dealing with you.

I think you are missing out on making a decent amount of money, particularly since you mention that you have a beauty salon. WOW!!! How perfect. In addition from having the perfect place to harvest customers, you should also be able to keep a small inventory of products in your salon for sale.

You threw away a great opportunity. I wish you would've had a better Upline Rep.

If I were you, I'd give it another try.