Avis Rent A Car / Over Charge

Seattle, WA, United States Review updated:
I reserved a Avis rental car through CarRentals.com. The reservation was for 2 days @ $25.99/day. When I arrived the pickup location, Avis representative over the counter offered me an upgrade from a compact to a median size car for a “couple of more bucks” (quoted his word). I assumed he meant $2 more than the $25.99 in the reservation. I agreed. I also explained to him that my credit card covered the insurance and I did not need extra insurance. He completed the paper work and handled to me said, “sign here, initiate here. I trusted his word and did not go through rental agreement line by line before signing. I was shocked to find out the rate actually went up from $25.99 a day to $42.99 a day. That is not a couple of bucks more! The insurance was also added without my consent. My credit card was charged by $160, 100 more than in my reservation.

Comments

Fr
  9th of Mar, 2009
We made a reservation 6 months in advance to get the best deal, as we always do. We reserved a full size car for $181.30 and had a $20.00 off coupon that was to be taken off at the counter. All was well until we returned the car and found that out bill was $355.41 when we asked why they said that they had up graded us to a larger car. We went to speak to a manager ( W.L. Butler ) and he said I had initialed it so therefore I knew about it. He said his manager would call me in the morning. The girl went over everything that I signed for and the only mention that I signed for was that I was denying the insurance and that I would bring the car back with a full tank of gas, there was absolutely no mention of any upgrade. Nobody called us and after two days of telephoning I finally got to talk to a manager (Michel Wu ). He told us unfortunately there was nothing he could do since I had initialed it. I explained to him that if I wanted to upgrade I would of used my upgrade coupon instead of my $20.00 off coupon. I had no need for a upgrade and did not want an upgrade. The car we rented was no bigger or better than most mid size cars that we rent. This is shear trickery what they did, and they know it. It may of been that they were out of full size cars. I don't know. We waited in a very long line about 45 minutes and there was still a very long line when we left. I know that they were very busy that day. A fellow that I spoke to at Avis named Jerry Mc Clunky told me that they will upgrade you if they are out of you size car and in that case it should of been a complimentary upgrade. My question is why was I upgraded? I have called my credit card company and disputed the charges, but the manager at Avis said they had a signed contract so it would do us no good. I am sick about this, This sure put a nasty finish to our wonderful vacation.
Re
  13th of Jul, 2009
Our experience, we are sharing for all our friends, who book thru internet companies.

We rented a premium car from AVIS, MCI (Kansas City International Airport) thru Hotwire.com
When we went to pickup the Car, they didn't give us two choices 2 different types of cadillac,
without any explanation or clarity they gave the papers to sign. We are in a hurry and we believed
AVIS company we initialed, thinking that we are getting the car we booked.

When we returned the car after six days and they gave an additional bill for $240 saying that,
that is for the upgrade and charged on the credit card. We said we never asked for an upgrade and they said we put initial for the upgrade.

Later we get to know from our friends that by hiding and misleading us they make money from the
customers who booked thru internet companies like hotwire, priceline etc.. We complaint about this and
got an as usual "regretting letter" from the manager.

This is a daylight white collar cheating. Don't be cheated with this types
of frauds. Double check and ask before you put initial. Make sure if there is
any additional charges, before you pickup a car.

BEWARE and AVOID AVIS MCI(Kansas City International Airport)

A ripped off customer.
Ce
  11th of Aug, 2015
I went to the Avis website directly. In my small town we have 2 rental car companies. Comparing Enterprise with Avis, Avis was remarkably cheaper for the same vehicle. I called and asked if their price included unlimited miles, he said yes. I asked if the price included all fees, he said yes. I proceeded to reserve a vehicle and he gave me a total $100 over what their internet site was showing. I told him this, he stammered a reason. I told him that the two companies charged the same with Avis hidden charges and I was not ready to reserve and I had not given him my credit card number yet, glad I hadn't. Also, be cautious of their website. When I was simply comparing the two companies, I clicked on a vehicle to get details and I was instantly given a confirmation number. I quickly cancelled the devious schemed confirmation. Avis should not have to play tricks using employees and computers to turn a profit. They provide a service people want, so why run a thievery business?

Avis Rent A Car System / Avis Budget Group Logo Avis Rent A Car System / Avis Budget Group
Overall Satisfaction Rating