AVG / failured to protect computer from virus

United States Review updated:

Purchased avg virus protection and ran a virus scan everyday. Avg failed to stop the cryptowall virus from infecting our computers. This resulted in over 20+ years of client data to be destroyed, a significant loss of income, additional financial expense in having to replace the computers, and on-going problems in attempting to rebuild lost data. Our e-mail program was destroyed as well. We contacted avg and reported the issue and requested that they close our account and refund our money. Since we purchased a two-year protection program from them and the one-year would be in march, 2015, we requested that they refund one year of our payment. Avg said they would close our account, but no refund would be issued. Avg charges for services that they do not provide and then refuse to refund customer's money when a system is completely destroyed by their failure to protect.

Co
Feb 6, 2015

Comments

• Ro
      11th of Jan, 2008

Charged for freedownloads to a total of $94,99 on the 31st. jan 2008. I also purchase avg on on the 10th jan for a total of $54.

12th of Jan, 2009
    AVG - Never received AntiVirus Protection
    Advanced Telecom Inc

I purchased, through Pay Pal, a 3 Year VIP Membership for Anti virus protection and never received the download in December
    from Advance Telecom.

• Je
      1st of Apr, 2009
    AVG - no record of purchase
    MBCONTACT.com
    Kiel
    Wisconsin

I was on AVG's homepage and went to purchase their antivirus protection the full version and somehow, I was redirected to mbcontact for my information to purchase this product. Now AVG claims that I never purchased their product. I am so frustrated and disappointed in both companies.

I am requesting a full refund and going elsewhere for my virus protection.

Jennifer

• Ge
      1st of Apr, 2009

I bought an AVG antivirus for about 70 bucks (can't remember the exact price) but that program did not protect my computer, viruses and trojans came in and did a number on my computer, so I had to have it fixed wich cost me a bout 170 dollars and AVG would not give me my money back I filed a complaint with comsumer affairs but I never heard nothing after that.

3rd of Apr, 2009
    AVG - charged twice
    9838 Needville Fairchild Rd.
    Needville
    Texas
    Phone: 979-793-5272
    AVG.com

My husband tried to purchase AVG protection over the internet and it would not except his card. He then went to office max and purchased the AVG cd and installed it. I have a charge on my bank account in the amount of $68.72 for AVG. So I don't understand if he purchased the cd and installed it why was our bank account charged again for the same install. Please advise...

• Or
      28th of Apr, 2009
    AVG - Anti-Virus
    Arkansas

AVG downloads were incomplete about two days out of a week. On one occasion, missed a worm that another company had diagnosed. Took too long to run a scan. Non-cooperative and refused a refund immediately after last payment. Never again.

• Ro
      29th of Apr, 2009

I have the 'paid for' AVG. Twice in the past 6 months something has taken my complete address book and used it to email to all addressees to promote a Chinese electrical goods company and it also deleted my address book from my PC.
    How can that happen with a ' good' safeguard system?

• Am
      13th of May, 2009
    AVG - Service
    England, Cheshire
    United Kingdom

Have used AVG 7.5 for years without problem but had to upgrade to 8.5. Now I cannot use Internet Explorer with out disabling Link Scanner and Resident Shield. Have attempted to use their Forum but despite using correct User name and Password it will not allow me access. Was considering purchasing their latest Anti Virus but not anymore. Complete rubbish

• Jg
      13th of May, 2009

I installed AVG 8.5 on my husband's computer. I disabled the Link Scanner (surf and search) because it's a pain in the butt, but the resident shield is active and the product works as well as it ever did. He's using IE8 with winxp home.

I have the same product on my own two computers - one running windows2000Pro and one running windowsxpPro, both using Firefox (most recent update) and have no problems at all with it. I also disabled the surf/search/link shield on mine as well. I have other security products I prefer over that. I've also got this product on my laptop running Vista and IE8 running with no problems.

Not sure what's causing the problems in yours, but the product itself is not rubbish. Maybe you need to adjust some of the settings in IE...is it up to date? Did you download the "home version" (free) or did you download the trial version?

• Wh
      1st of Jun, 2009

I also tried to purchase AVG 8.5 online. When I went to purchase, I was somehow redirected the MBContact...and the price for the supposed download was $69.14. The software I was purchasing wasn't that much, but that is what I was charged...then I couldn't download the software I supposedly purchased, and I never received the email that I was supposed to. It was all very confusing at the time.

I did happen to print off the receipt. I'm disputing the charge with my credit card company. They have more resources to pursue this fraudulent business than I do.

Same thing happened to my dad.

A few weeks later I was able to download the AVG freeware.

• 96
      20th of Oct, 2009
    AVG - Can't get rid of the program
    Detroit Lakes
    Minnesota

AVG SUCKS!!! It has taken over my computer! I got a free trial of AVG anti-virus on my computer and now they have pop-ups come on continually and I can't even get into my personal computer to eliminate the AVG program. Had a computer geek look at it today, he told me to crash it. Stay Away From AVG!

• De
      20th of Oct, 2009

You can't even get into the control panel, to the add/remove programs list to delete?

21st of Oct, 2009

START > Add / Remove Programs > select and remove it
    Then use Microsoft Security Essentials (It's free)

• Ar
      22nd of Oct, 2009

Hi 96DanielleK,
    there are several options how to get help directly from AVG.

In case, that you have any trial version of AVG, you are entitled to utilize technical support for your product. If you want AVG to help you with your problems, use following web form to do so:

or contact AVG technical support directly from AVG user interface: upper text menu "Help" -> "Get help on-line"

In case, that you have a free version, you do not have access directly to AVG technical support, however you can use AVG Free forum, which is monitored and moderated by members of AVG technical support (among others). Just visit following web and ask for help:

AVG Team

• Be
      16th of Nov, 2009

I ordered AVG protection and then was told it would take up to 48 hrs to get the down load program. Well 5 days later and still not here. When I complained they said that is basically not their problem. They just take orders and then forget about it. It says %100 guarantee and refund if you' re not happy with the program. I asked for a refund and haven't heard from them since and had to install a virus program from a different place . I will never deal with them again and certainly tell any one I know not to do so either.

4th of Mar, 2010

If that is the case, I would advice you to contact their customer support. You can contact them at:

I think they will help you .

4th of Mar, 2010

Strange thing... I would advice you always to keep the receipts... Then you can contact the AVG support:

Or the MBContact's one...

This way you will help them to help you.

Also, always make sure that you are buying the software from the legitimate website...

4th of Mar, 2010

Yup, I agree with JGracey... However their newest version (9.0) is much improved. This is the real thing :P I especially like the Identity Protection part of it...

• Ha
      11th of Nov, 2010
    AVG - progran didnt work,avg refused to refund monies
    Franklin
    Idaho

Bought avg program it work good for 30days then it started act ing up, not proforming proper i contacted avg and they sent this very long list of things to do, however avg anit virus program would not work, i requested a refune and it took over two weeks to get an answer, they stated no refund...

4th of Dec, 2010

This Company is a pathetical scam.
    I tried weeklay to get a refund. Not only did they try to scam me . They tried to scare me into using thier company IYOGI. I
    could not understand their agents english and the company is not even in the U.S.
    Disgusting company.
    Stealth pilot,
    Why should you demand perfect spelling when the techs can not speak English?

4th of Dec, 2010

AVG is nothing more then a scam.
    I bought the software and could not download it so I contacted customer support.
    AVG said, "With reference to your e-mail, we are sorry to inform you that unfortunately we are unable to agree to your delayed request for a refund. Please note that we asked you to confirm your request within the 30 days after your initial refund request, otherwise your refund request will be rejected."
    I contacted the company the same night, Sept.24th, and daily for a week and then every week after that.
    The tech did not speak english well and I had a hard time understanding him. Not only that but he told me if I shut down my computer it would not start again. He tried to scare me into subscribing to IYOGI for $300.00. Left a recorded message on 10/12/10 Tech Heather and another named Robert, and another named SVetlana.
    Invoice #1002182919, order #9560504, and CA70588. All on different dates.
    I left a compliment with Robert's supervisor because he was so professional.

• Jp
      12th of Jan, 2011
    AVG - unable to contact

...I installed AVG 2011 internet security pack onto my windos xp program...it crashed the program...i have filed complaints via AVG customer service online procedures...no contact for 2 weeks...i requested a refund because I purchased a new computer and I will never use AVG again...

• To
      8th of Jun, 2011

The server is messing up the postings. Here's the e-mail I used about my complaint. They replied within 24hrs. [protected]@avg.com. Good luck!

6th of Oct, 2011
    AVG - UTUBE
    England, Somerset
    United Kingdom

AVG are pinning my friend on youtube for telling people how to get AVG for free the free anti virus version and they wont drop it

• Ru
      23rd of Feb, 2015

Same problem, ended up having to format my hard drive and re do everything. Lost many important files.

Numerous messages sent to AVG with NO response !!!

Very disappointed as the free trial was fine. Then sent my payment in and everything wen t kaput big time.

• Do
      29th of Sep, 2015

I downloaded an free avg anti-virus and maintenance software for a 30 day free trial, then at the end of the end of the 30 day trial I was going to purchase a full version. I haven't had the trial version even for two weeks, now it is starting to close out my account saying my trial is ended, but has not been 30 days yet. If I can't use the full 30 day trial I will not purchase your service.

thank you, Don Huston [protected]@yahoo.com