Avalon Oaks LLC / Lack of upkeep and response from the management

1 2299 River Oaks DriveColumbus, OH, United States Review updated:
Phone: (614) 485-0390

I have lived in River Oaks Apartments for over 3 years. It has been a wonderful, clean, and kept up environment until Avalon Oaks, LLC took over as management. During the winter months, walkways and parking lots do not get plowed. This summer, no one has landscaped around the building. Bushes are overgrown, weeds are growing tall, and grass is rarely cut. There is also trash overflowing in the pool area. Outside, lights are burnt out and some apartment windows are broken. No matter how many times you call and complain, they do nothing. The complex went from a beautiful, luxurious place to apartments that are falling apart and completely unkempt.

Ch

Comments

4th of Nov, 2008

I totally agree. I moved in 2 years ago and was very impressed at first with these apartments. They are considered "LUXURY APARTMENTS", but what is so luxurious about them if they never empty the trash or fix anything??

The most simple fix by maintenance takes 3 months and from what I've heard, they owe (or did owe) Home Depot over $10, 000!!! Finally, their account with them went in default and maintenance was no longer able to go there to get what they needed. That makes me wonder why management has not paid their bills.

Do you know how long ago it's been since we had that wind storm here in Central Ohio? The shingles are STILL all over the ground. Seriously, that' s one of the easiest jobs this fall to have! But they've not bothered to pick any of them up. The missing shingles on the roof have NOT been replaced either and it's ugly.

They have NOT installed speed bumps as I've suggested and as I write this I'm watching cars flying by going at LEAST 40 mph past the rental office. And I'm not impressed with some of the "new"people they've allowed to live here.

This place is most definitely going to sh**. It's a shame since it's in such an ideal location, too. These really are nice apartments, but management SUCKS.

• Pe
      12th of Aug, 2009

I lived there from August 2006 to October 2008. I was very disappointed with the upkeep and service provided at this "luxury" community. Maintainence NEVER came to fix the problems with my unit, which I am now being told I have to pay for. There were still broken screens from the hail storm when I moved out, as well as large nails in the yard from the wind storm that blew off the shingles, which were not picked up in a timely fashion. Also...I agree about the yardwork. It was absolutely embarrassing having such an overgrown and completely ignored yard. The staff have been anything but apologetic and the manager Mark is not friendly at all. When I first moved in I was so excited and while I loved the location and the apartment it was not worth the hassle and I reccomend no one waster their time there.

• Ri
      22nd of Sep, 2009
    Avalon Oaks LLC - Poor management

I have lived in the River Oaks community for 2+ years. When we moved in they had just removed the previous tenant. This place was NOT in ready move in condition. However, my family and I had already packed up the moving van so we had no choice but to move in that day. We were given a form to fill out for items to be fixed. We are about to sign our third lease and some of those items are still not fixed. We called and left messages with Mark (prop. mgr.) with no response. For a while the leasing office wasn't even open for the hours posted.

Going back to move in day, we were forced to clean this apartment which took an entire day. Majors and minors...we cleaned dirt out of bathrooms, kitchen, dusted, bugs out of lights, etc. RIDICULOUS!!! And the smoke infested carpet was "cleaned" but the stains are still there. LUXURY APARTMENTS is meant as a joke right?

The topper is a family member just moved into the this place and for the same unit they are paying $100 less and have brand new carpet and a clean apartment. I approached Mark about signing a long term lease and they don't have to lower our rate, I just want this dirty carpet replaced. We were forced to buy area rugs to cover stains!!!

Why we stay. One of the few 3 bedroom apartments located in Hilliard School District which is the most important issue.

To sum it up: Terrible property manager that will not communicate. He hides when issues arise but is unreasonable when issues are brought to his attention.

14th of Oct, 2009

I couldn't agree more! The only reason we stay...3 BR in Hilliard Schools. Mark is the sorriest excuse of a "Property Manager" I've ever witnessed! He completely hids when you bring issues to his attention. I think he works a whopping 20 hours per week. He talks down to his tenants, I've actually heard him YELL at a tenant. The maintenence is a joke. They take weeks - months to fix things that go wrong. We have mold growing in our apartment, the people above us have mold and the neighbors across the way who just moved out complained of mold as well. Not to mention, there are few tenants that actually care about the place. There is trash all over...no one picks up after their dogs. I can't believe how much money we're paying to live in this sh** hole. From what I hear, the management was great until Mark and his group took over. (by the way, he says there is no one above him to complain to). Do a google search on Mark Kauer and Avalon Oaks/River Oaks. There's a ton of complaints - all very similar.