AutoZone / horrible customer service

1 Old Fort PkwyMurfreesboro, TN, United States Review updated:

I went to Autozone to get a "check engine" light diagnostic code read on my vehicle. After waiting in line for several minutes the cashier told me that it would be a few minutes before he could get to me as he had to wait on other customers. I told him I would be outside waiting for him.

10 minutes later I noticed customers that had arrived after I did were having their diagnostic codes read by Autozone employees. I went back inside and waited (again) in line while the 3 people in front of me were taken care of. The cashier, Troy, asked me what I needed and I told him that I was waiting to have the diagnostic code read. Without a word he turned his back and walked away, finally saying over his shoulder that he had other customers to wait on. He then went to another register and started waiting on other people!

Totally amazed I went to another line and waited (for the third time) to be served. When I got to the counter I asked who the manager on duty was and proceeded to tell him of my experience with Troy. On hearing this Troy started to argue, but the manager waived him off and continued to listen to me. I told him that either he wanted my business, or he didn't, and insisted that he take the time to check my vehicle (by this time I've been waiting over 20 minutes). He read my code and explained the issue to me.

When he finished I told him I wanted a corporate phone number to call and file a complaint against Troy. I also told him I wanted the store ID number and Troy's full name, which he gave me. Upon hearing this Troy argued that I was not next in line at the time I approached him (even though he had waited on the 3 other folks in line in front of me). When I told him I had already been through the line once prior to talking to him he blurted out "I didn't know that", when I reminded him that he had served the 3 others in front of me with no hesitation he had no response.

I served in the U.S. military for 20 years and was stationed in countries that would much rather have shot an American then to say "Hello" to one. Never was I made to feel more insignificant than I was that night at Autozone. It appears Troy has "customer relations" issues. Maybe he should look for a new line of work that does not involve customers.

I will never shop at Autozone again...looks like PeP Boys or O'Reilly Auto Parts for me from now on.

Dj

Comments

• Ga
      1st of Feb, 2010

it appears autozone isnt having luck with its troys i was in a south high street store in columbus ohio when troy who obviosly did not want to have anything to do with my black bussiness became very disrespectful and rude and finaly just flat out refused to wait on me and i ended up having to wait on 4 customers who came in after me! it wont be long before troy costs this company a law suit but i will never step foot in another autozone i guess they havent realized they arent the only auto parts store in bussiness

• Di
      21st of Apr, 2010

Troy is obviously a tool and is not representative of most employees. But you could go to a dealer and pay $80 for the same service! Again, another spoiled customer that expects to be handed everything for free and when he doesn't get it, starts crying racism. Try extending a little grace to people who are helping you for free and try waiting longer than 10 minutes before blowing your top. Troy is an obvious tool, but you are a bigger tool, for not being better than him

• Su
      15th of Dec, 2010

There always to sides to the story and yes Troy may have mess up. Autozone over the course of 8 years that i know have been adding more tasks, Key Performance Indicators that monitors employees sales and cutting down hours in hoping to merge two business such as commercial employee with DIY employees. Thus having employees multitasking to much to where services is effected. The check engine light, battery, starter and alternator our FREE services but we are trained in which has highest priority. 1. Never have a ready paying customer waiting to check out. 2. Answer the phone (3 ring rule) autozone train us this way because we are trying to get the phone customer in the store. 3. Sale parts 4. FREE SERVICE. Most stores now only run with 2 employees in the winter and 3 to 4 in the summer only at autozone weird forcast scheduling software. You see it may have been Troy fault and documented at a store manager level. But the fact is its a number game and autozone corp know its as like all corp companies do. You go to Walmart because of its friendly prices but its long check out lines (knowing all registers are not being used) are a nightmare and no help with any employees. all they do is stock and front face all day.
    One note to djvc: pep boys charge to pull codes they have a full servise shop nothing is free there, O Reilly boys will not come out from behind the counter at all but i hear from my source thats up to the store manager at that location. they are driven by commission sales so its make sense to me to sale sale sale i'm not going outside to install batteries. well djvc i see you back at autozone because ya always do come back lol
    ps

• H8
      14th of Jun, 2011

This store was built here within the last year. You would think that with all the people looking for jobs, then Autozone would choose some employees who actually want to work and care about helping the customer. The 6 times or so, in the last month that I have come in, the employees seemed more interested in talking to each other than helping the customer. I have been given the wrong parts several times, and apparently they dont like to tell you that you have rewards money to use. Then when you ask them about it, they act like they don't know to access it for you to use.. The employees also know very little about auto repair. Ill be going to Baxters and O'Reillys from now on, like I used to. Autozone, you suck..