Auto Rickshaws-Pune / Overcharging by auto rickshaws

1 India Review updated:

We always have to travel by auto rickshaws in Pune as we don't have our own conveyance due to the fact that we are outsiders. Auto Rickshaw drivers in Pune take advantage of this thing and charge us a lot. We sometimes argue with them to go as meter says but since they know that we don't have any other choice so they demand a fixed amount that is generally much higher than what comes up if we go by meter. They are very troublesome. Every outsider inb Pune faces this problem because generally they don't have their conveyance.

Comments

Pa
  27th of Dec, 2007

Dear Frieds,

What would I say. It is the same old story with different perspective. It's been over 3 yrs for me in Pune and I came with the intention of settling down in Pune. All works well and so far gioing well. I have seen the many good things changing over this period and worst things I saw is the changing AUTO RICHSHAW wala's roudy behaviour. Everytime when taking a rick, whether it is a day time or night time, we have to pay him over the meter. Reason is same as usuals that they have to come empty in return journey. For them, night means no time as such, if its dark outside (then it may be 5:00 PM during winter), their night starts and then their DADAGIRI starts demanding much more than meter rate. Hardly anyone carry rate card and these guys never had change. So we have to pay him in round figure.

I am fade of all this and looking for some place or website link where complaints can be registered.

Guys, this is the high time now to take footahead againest this before its too late.

Sh
  22nd of May, 2008

Today I took a auto from Swargate for Mundhwa by meter. When I reached at the destination Auto driver demanded Rs. 120/- for only 8KM. As I know as per rate card the total fare should Rs.50/-He gave the reason of Half Return charges. However I was nither travelling at night nor the place is out of city. And the most important he didnot tell anything about half return initially. When I danyed to pay half return and demanded rate card, he told that he is not carrying rate card and demanded 80 Rs by giving the explainantion of 8Rs per KM (against actual 6rs per KM). He behaved very roudly and refused to take as per meter or even Rs.60/-. Lastly i kept Rs.60/- in his auto and left the place. These people make TAMASHA in front of the offices and refuse to take proper fare. This is not the first instance and i am fed up with such rikshawala. I wanted to launch a complaint against such people. Does anybody know the proper channel for this or how to teach the lesson to them.

Su
  29th of May, 2008

So isnt there any solution for this problem??? In Aundh in front of Rohan Nilay Apartments, All the auto's in the stand decided and ask for fixed prices and doesnt put meter. How can this be stopped ???

Ra
  4th of Jun, 2008

Pune rikshaw drivers are world famous for their rude behavior and dishonesty. we can do nothing about them as they are protected by the rikshaw unions and most important, by the traffic police of Pune. Some time back the leading news papers published the monthly rates (aka 'Hafta') given by the unions to traffic police for the protection they receive. (Min hafta is per rikshaw 100 Rs per month)
Have you ever seen police taking action against illegal rikshaw stands or checking their licenses or PUC certificates?
We can raise our voice only if we stand together in form of some forum or a activity group. I can think of the SPTM activity (Save Pune Traffic Movement) from which we can have some hopes in near future, only if we participate in large numbers to make the difference.
here is the link: http://www.savepunetraffic.com/html/index.htm

Su
  8th of Jun, 2008

Pune auto rikshaw drivers are totally corrupt and rude, i stayed in lots of city but the experience which i am facing in Pune is the worst. There is no rules for auto rikshaw drivers. They all are very rude and highly corrupt. They are ready to fight if you prove them guilty. Its much better to avoid auto rikshaw in Pune. Normally Overcharging and corruption is experienced by the new people or travellers but here its very common to all the residents.

Pr
  15th of Aug, 2008

Pune auto rickshaw's have altered meter. Meaning 1 KM=1.5 KM or greater . We actually travel less but are charged more because of the fake meter used. They also have some settings with the meter, which makes the meter run even though auto rickshaw is not moving. Be careful if they try to alter some thing with the meter.

Sh
  30th of Oct, 2008

Yes the auto - wala's are rowdy, they want their terms & conditions and also their meters are fast which i've noticed on many occasions. For guys who agree to take on meter their meters are very fast just try to observe the difference for 1 particular route. I dont know when govt will take a control on this.

So
  26th of Feb, 2009

Not oly for outsiders but localites are also feeling the same problem. I travel by an auto daily to the same route and i have abserved that 90% of auto rickshaw meters are faulty. They run too fast. I have observed the change in fare by a pretty big amount. Also the auto fare is too much though the fuel rates are lowered. But these autowallas are not bothered about it neither the government.
Where we should log a complaint ? No one is going to bother.

Yo
  20th of Mar, 2009

I Strongly Agree... Many time I faced this problem & now decided to stop using Auto's.

19th of Apr, 2009

filthy is the only word for Pune AutoRickshaw Drivers

Here is where you can kick their A$$

Gets your complaints registered to Pune RTO officials

27492828 for PCMC

2. By Email :
rtopune@datanone.in

3. By SMS :
rtopune (space) autorickshaw (space) name of complaint (space) place, time, date

4. By Fax
020-26058282

You must provide following details
Auto Registration Number
Badge Number of Driver
Place
Date
Time
Nature of complaint

Es
  13th of May, 2009

All details mentioned above can be retrieved apart from the badge number of driver ...how does one go abt getting tht...

14th of May, 2009

well, most of them don't wear the uniform so goes with the badge so you can say that he was not wearing uniform neither badge

this gives one more point against him to support your complaint

Pa
  6th of Aug, 2009

I do not have complaint about a single autowala. I want to complain about all those autowalas who are outside of my complex's gate. They charge extra fare as well as they don't drop u to the location where u want to go. And its of no use to argue with them, your start of the day just spoils. And they don't care if we don't take their auto. Because they get other customers who pay them what they want.
And the thing is they'll impose their rates on the other autowalas as well. Initially i used to get auto from the corner of my lane which used to charge according to meter. but now these ppl have also started behaving like the other autowalas.

Na
  14th of Sep, 2009

I totally agree to all the above comments. I and my family too have many times faced problems with altered meter by rickshaw's & also experienced their rude behavior. Fed up of this thing so landed to complaint.

I have noticed this problem with almost 90% rickshaws with altered meters in last few mnths, who then demand money very rudely and few start using slang language if disagree to give that much amount. There had been few cases where, when I made notice that rickshaw's meter running very fast, few rickshaw people do agree and ask to pay as per my every days charge. There also had been cases where rickshaw people demanded money with old tariff which was high.

Why there don't be any checks on rickshaw meters? And how are they allowed to alter meters? This is really very serious case. How many rickshaw numbers should we note down and how many times should we just mail RTO? it won't be feasible.

I am wondering is someone going to take action against these complaint launched at above mentioned email id or is it just going to end there? Or is it going to be waste?

Ab
  20th of Sep, 2009

Recently in front of Central Mall at university road, i asked auto if he wants to go to Baner and then a next one too.Finally we boarded the second auto after this the first auto guy came to us n started shouting and abusing us for not taking his auto, when i shouted back he started to threatened me in Marathi,
since i was with a lady friend i dint peruse the matter and drove off in the second auto.but it was very very disturbing as there were other auto walla also and all seem to pounce on me.
Later on at Baner my second auto guy said tat tguy wouldnt have done anything to me as his license would have got cancelled but i doubt that as all of them were looking so hostile at that time.
Usually at all the stand this drivers they form there gang and then they dont want to go by meter, ask extra money, many places they dont want to go to only(as per rule they cant deny).
and when this people can deny to go somewhere then why cant v choose them in which one we want to go.and we dont threaten them or abused them when they say No.
request authorities to curb this misbehavior of auto walla's n make Pune a really a pleasant place to stay which is spoiling to some extent cos of this idiots fool
I dont have his auto no. so its just a neutral appeal to authorities.

Ab
  24th of Sep, 2009

auto number mh.14, v.1366

driver name
balaji,
sunil baswani,
pimpari, pune

auto driver accident my byke when my byke stand infront a shop...

and owner said jo karna hai kar lo...

means any thing what u can do just do that against me...

i am not local people what can i do in my favor

Pu
  1st of Dec, 2009

Not sure but is anyone listening to this and doing something... i agree we all are frustrated and have issues but guys we need to take action against them. i suggest use media if you can, they are the best weapons against such people...

Ch
  9th of Mar, 2010

I mailed a complaint to rtopune@dataone.in and the mail bounced back saying exceeded the quota.
Seems nobody is checking the mail for years.

Mu
  7th of Apr, 2010

Indiacommutes.com is trying to solve the autor rickshaw conditions in Pune.

Please visit our website. We are also getting media attention. Hopefully we will be able to make a difference in the way people travel in Pune.

Regards,