Auto Repair

Jim's Auto
Hamilton Rd
London, Ontario
Canada
I have an old sportscar. It is German. It had a blown head gasket, clouds of white smoke out the tailpipe. The son said no problem. $700. I have all parts already.
Then when I talked to the owner, the dad: he told me he can't do it for $700 and quoted $1000.00.
I had the head gasket replaced, water pump, timing belt and tentioner and the starter all replaced with new product.
The bill was $1030.00.
I went to pick up my car and they told me I need new plugs, as the engine was running on 5 out of 6 cylinders!
The washer pump did not work now (I had to re solder the wires they tore out)They did not understand why I had wires running into my hood...(heated washer jets)and they lost the retaining nut for my washer tank and -get this... they crammed foam into the engine bay.
Coolant was pouring out of one hose clamp...but I was told it was not leaking as they tested it.
I picked up new plugs and had them install... no change. Then they claimed after "testing" that there was only 60 psi on cylinder #4 and that it was dead.
Nothing they could do. I was told to buy an additive to free "stuck" rings.
I took my car to another garage and they found the compression to be 165 psi across all 6 cylinders, and that the injector was plugged.I replaced it and all was good for about 3 days...
The same thing happened.
Replaced the injector again and 4 days later... back to square one.
I inquired at many shops why my engine was doing this, and a main tech from my dealership told me there is only two likely reasons, first the head could be warped or cracked... or the gasket was improperly replaced. I am getting the engine inspected to find out the cause.
Jim's Auto aslo did not bother to plane down the heads... Jim claimed he tested with a straight edge and it was only out .004" well within spec. So he decided not to send it out to be re surfaced.
The mounting for the brand new water pump was also stripped and had to be re tapped at my expence.
All in all I spent about $2000 in labour and parts to have the head gasket blow again only 3 months later!
Jim said it is not his problem.
He feels that he did his job right.

Don't ever take anything to Jim's Auto.
Not only could they not even diagnose a simple injector fouling but their workmanship is very poor!
I heard from a neibour that they also scammed them.
Complaint comments Comments (5) Complaint country Canada Complaint category Car Service Centers

Comments

Minneapolis
Minnesota
Phone: 612-871-7545
uptownautorepair.com

Had my SUV in for repair and paid over $2100 for repairs and in less then (1) month the vehicle overheated and the engine block was cracked. Took the vehicle back in for warranty repair and/or a refund and was told to leave the shop. Turns out the shop owner (m.p.) forgot to replace the thermostat (the brain of the cooling system). Uptown Auto Care will give you a warranty, but it is useless as a phony $3 bill.

N  16th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes

Auto Repair - WORSE PLACE TO WORK
WAKEFIELDMANEGMENT
Laconia
New Hampshire
Phone: 603-524-2240

IVE WORKED FOR MIDAS FOR ALMOST TWO YEARS.I WAS THE ONLY CERTIFIED TECH THEY HAD.I GOT FIRED BECAUSE MY TRUCK BROKE DOWN HAD TO PUSH OF ROAD PULLED MY BACK HAD DOCTERS NOTE WELL ANYWAYS THEY HIRE MECHANICS THAT DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CARS I THOUGHT U WERE ASE CERTIFIED TECHS APPEARS NOT.ITS PRETTY SAD U SAY ALL YOUR MECHANICS ARE THE BEST BUT IVE BEEN THERE FOR TWO YEARS AND NEVER HIRE EXPIERENCED EMPLYEES I HAVE SEEN IT FOR A WHILE NOW AND I WILL MAKE SURE I TELL ANYONE THAT ASKS ME.WILL HAVE MY OWN BLOGGS DISTURBED X EMPLYEE
N  16th of Oct, 2010 by    0 Votes

Auto Repair - taken advantage of
WHITE TIRE
Electric Rd & Apperson drive
Salem
Virginia

My dad took his car to this shop with a minor ignition switch problem. The technician told my dad to purchase a new starter when my dad asked to replace it with a used one the technician told him its against company policy which is BS because you as an owner of anything are in charge of what kind of parts u put in your own car. with that said i would also like to say that my dad is not an american and does not speak english fluently and what waa going through that technicians head was probably hey ill charge him labor on a new starter and fix his ignition switch which would probably take 30 mins to do so and charge him 350 dollars for something that does not need to be replaced. basically he doesnt speak english lets tell him this and that so he can spend money for nothing. IF ANYONE KNOW OF THIS PLACE PLEASE DO NOT GO THERE FOR YOUR AUTO REPAIR NEEDS BECAUSE I DONT BELIEVE IN SUPPORTING A BUSINESS THAT SCAMS THOSE WHO DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CARS .
N  16th of Dec, 2014 by    0 Votes

Auto Repair - Mazda Damaged My Car
Ferman Mazda of Countryside
24825 US Hwy 19 North
Clearwater
Florida
Phone: 727-797-6770

Sunday, 12/14/14, my car lost power and had to be towed, 1st to Tire Kingdom, then the next day to Ferman Mazda of Countyside, due to computer issues. The 1st Tech asked me to put up my power windows and give him the mileage. The dashboard with hazard switch was intact! The 2nd Tech gave me a repair estimate, for computer sensor, radiator, and thermostat, not mentioning a hazard switch, totaling $588.55. Today, Tuesday, when I went to pick up my car, I found a hold in my dashboard, so asked the Tech. He said the hazard switch fell inside the dashboard, and wanted to charge me to fix it! He claims Mazda was not at fault, yet the hazard switch was not mentioned until I got the final bill, which reads, hazard switch broken in dash. All my AC vents next to the hazard switch were moved! The bottom line is that Mazda damaged my car, so need to fix it at no charge, or I will take legal action, as they are only good at making excuses! They need to be held responsible for all the damage they did to my car, as I need a hazard switch for emergencies!
N  16th of Dec, 2014 by    0 Votes
Complaint should say hole in my dashboard, as it was misspelled.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree