Auto-Owners Insurance / Disiability Insurance Claim

1 OH, United States Review updated:

Purchased a disability policy from this company. I had an elbow injury about 3 months after I purchased the policy. I had the surgery and put in the claim. It took this company 6 weeks to get back with me to tell me they have denied my claim. The reason being is because in the lengthy 10 years of medical records they wanted from every single doctor you have seen in that time period, I did not list one medication (anti-depressant) in my initial sign up form that I am suppose to remember off the top of my head. This was the reason they denied my claim. So a pill that has nothing to do with my elbow surgery and that I took probably for a few weeks, years and years ago. Shut my claim down. What a Scam!
Not to mention with this company you have to fill out a bunch of paperwork to get it going and take an in-depth physical and pee test. The claim is the same way you have to fill out about 6-7 pages of paperwork and they want 10 years of your medical records. Who can remember and list every doctor and medication one has taken in 10 years off the top their head.

Fix all solution to all these disability policies: Give them all your medical records upfront, this way they know everything and you have forgot nothing and say now how much is the policy, now? I bet these insurance companies will never go for this solution. Due to the fact now they have no excuses to fight you and will have to pay you.

Comments

• Wp
      30th of Mar, 2011

This is a terrible practice by many health insurance companies. It is called post-underwriting and it is only legal with health insurance. Fortunately the Affordable Care Act of 2009 bans this practice in 2014.

3rd of Apr, 2011

Auto Owners Insurance is a scam. A refridgerator installer who carries there insurance, poorly installed a heavy built in fridge at our home. My son opened the door and the fridge fell on my 7 and 4 year old. Thankfully there was no serious injury. The fridge was damaged beyond repair according to the manufacturer (Miele) . The fault was clearly with the installer. Auto owners twice committed to pay the claim to replace the refridgerator, then denied the claim. We tried to be reasonable, but this company is shady. We will more than likely have to sue the installer to recoup our loss. If you have a business and need to protect yourself, you should not have this insurance. By the way, the installer was a CERTIFIED Miele service person...another rip-off. Miele says they are not responsible for their certified installer's screw ups. AVOID!