Auto Marketing Systems / Scam

1 VA, United States Review updated:

We were contacted by Melanie, who said she was from a company that matched buyers of used cars to sellers for $199.00. My husband specifically asked the question--"What if we sell the car through another means?" (We had advertised through the newspaper.) She said that we would get all our money back minus $29, and said nothing about a 90 day waiting policy before getting our money back. We sold the car 3 days after the posting and called the company immediately, who then told us about the 90 day policy and refused to give us a refund. In order to get a refund we have to get the request notarized. We disputed this with our credit card company and have reported them to the BBB. Please do not use this service!

Ch

Comments

• Pa
      13th of May, 2009

To "char" -

Could you please provide me your Customer ID#? I'd like to review your account.

• Md
      30th of May, 2009

I agree this place is a total scam. I signed up almost two months ago and was told they had people waiting for my car and have not received one phone call. Whenever I try to contact them I'm on hold forever and the last time I called the woman hung up on me. Its also funny they must not track their sales very well because they have called me several times trying to sell me they services... Hello I already bought them.

1st of Jun, 2009

MDJ -

It is unfortunate that the service has not yet produced a buyer for you, but there is still time. We guarantee the sale of your vehicle in 90 days or less. If it doesn't work out for you, please take advantage of our money-back guarantee.
    I must say that I find it hard to believe that you have to wait on hold forever each time you call in. We have incredible customer service and an impeccable "calls handled" rate.
    Nonetheless, I'm disappointed to read of your frustrations with the service. But I am also unable to look into them any further based on the vague information you have provided. Please provide your Customer ID# and I will gladly help you in any way I can.

Sincerely,

Paul Russell

p.s. - Would a "total scam" offer a money-back guarantee (which you are still eligible for) or customer service like this?

8th of Jun, 2009

Paul from AMS I have question for you.

I received a call today from one of your represetatives today and they were very professional. They explained briefly what they do and how they do it. They also explained to me the money back guarantee, minus the $29.00 processing fee. They forwarded me information on the company and the refund policy quickly as the promised. In reviewing this I have a question for you. I was told that if I didn't sell the car for the asking price I could request a refund. However, how is that possible? I have copied and pasted the three requirements in your contract and #3 says the car was not sold through AMS. (Please see below). So, can I or can't I request a refund if I sell my car for less than my asking price to one of your procured buyers? I am a bit confused. However I will say that I am impressed that you post this information out here to counter act the negative comments. Please respond and let me know.

1) The listing must have been listed with Auto Marketing Systems for 90 consecutive days following the ad start date found on the front of your receipt;and

2) A photograph of your vehicle must have been submitted via email (photos@amsvehiclesales-support.com ) OR U.S. mail to TheBigLot!, P.O. Box 1671, Roanoke, VA, 24008 within 14 calendar days after the ad start date found on the front of your receipt; and

3) The advertised vehicle must not have been sold through Auto Marketing Systems.

I appreciate your time...jsc

• Mi
      12th of Jun, 2009

Absolute criminals! My experience was worse!!

• Ka
      14th of Jun, 2009

I agree it's been a bit shady as they called me a few times and I was hesitant, but since I was not getting any buyers on my own I figured I'd try. I was told there were many buyers out there for my car, but I have not yet received one phone call and my car has been listed for about 2.5 months with AMS now. Early July is when my 90 days ends and I plan to request the refund as I am very disappointed.

Kathleen

JSC -

Our guarantee really covers ANY reason that you may not be satisfied with the service. That being said, if you let your vehicle go for a price you weren't satisfied with, then I don't think you should've sold it. Contrary to popular belief, if you want to move your vehicle quickly, it's best to list at a reasonable price, closest to the lowest offer you would accept.
    When selling a vehicle, negotiating comes with the territory... people are always going to try and talk you down. My advice is to pick your price, stand firm and back it up with details; let your buyer now why you want this price and why it is a fair price -- establish value!
    Now, I would also assume that if you only sold for a small fraction less than you were asking that you would be pretty happy with our service. But if you were not, mail the notarized form in during the appropriate window and we'll refund your money anyway!

Thanks for the question!

15th of Jun, 2009

To those visiting the site, I am aware of Mike's "experience" with our company, and I feel it is only fair to share his experience with you. Mike has been contacted by AMS and been left a voice mail. He was upset by this unsolicited call and has proceeded to post his disdain on many websites and I have proceeded to answer ALL of his questions on those sites. Please note that he refers to AMS as absolute criminals, though he's never signed up for our service and we've never asked for a penny from him. All of his claims are based solely on the unsolicited phone call(s) he received. I can only hope that his feelings have changed since addressing his concerns.

Paul with AMS,

Why then would you not have your contract language match your promises. Something tells me that a signed contract would hold a lot more water than a vague promise on a blog. However, I am skeptical, your company is in business to make money, I can't see you giving away money just because I say I wasn't happy. I understand that negotiations are a part of any sales transactions. However, I have also been taught to avoid companies that promise one thing, their contract says another. When it comes to which they will follow, your attorneys as well as the courts will stick with the contracts not the empty promises. If you want to earn my business the contract needs to match the promise. Otherwise, too risky and not nearly straight forward enough.

JSC,

Fair enough. I guess my question would be this: why would anyone accept an offer from one of our buyers if they weren't satisfied with the offer? And if you did accept the offer, how could you not be satisfied with the effectiveness of the service? In my experience a vehicle sold equals a satisfied customer, so why at that point would the customer want to request a refund anyway?

Whatever the answer may be, this is an area where we can largely be taken advantage of. What I was trying to say earlier was not meant as an empty promise of a refund on a blog. Rather a testimony that we are not interested in asking questions when you request a refund. If you properly submitted a photo (or a few photos) in a timely manner that we could use to help promote your vehicle, and then sent in the requested refund form during your cancellation window, your refund WILL BE PROCESSED. Your buyer is not obligated to contact us, and we don't go checking asking prices. That was the point I was trying to make. We don't ask questions. I apologize for the confusion.

Sincerely,

Paul,

I appreciate your candor, however, I will stick with contract language. While you might not ask the buyer anything, I am an honest person. It is not a matter of selling for the asking price or less. It is a matter of your contract says one thing, but you and your representatives are saying another. Again, business is business, I understand that. However, I will only do business with individuals whose contract match their verbal commitments. If you are going to refund the money regardless of if I sell my car to your buyer, you should remove that selling my car to a AMS buyer nulifies my refund. I agree with the fact that my car sold would make me a happy person, and if was willing to sell it at that price, I must be ok with it. But I am not ok with doing business with contracts that don't match what I am promised. I understand you have to protect yourself and your company, but if you are willing to refund regardless, #3 should be removed from your contract all together.

JSC,

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to raise your concerns. I will make certain to suggest that the language of the contract be modified.

Thanks again,

• Mi
      16th of Jun, 2009

I'm sure that contract change will happen right away . . .

16th of Jun, 2009

Soliciting people through places like Craigslist, in total disregard for the bottom of the ad that CLEARLY states, DO NOT contact me with other business offers or services, is a very poor way to get customers. Your company combs places like Craigslist, Kijiji, Auto Trader, and other websites, and is in clear violation of their Terms of Service.

How you acquire your customers is very untrustworthy, and a BBB report does not look kindly in your favor. Oh yes, I'm sure that you do have satisfied customers. However, how you conduct yourself as a company is terrible. You do realize that it is YOUR responsibility to check whether it is a cell number before you call, do you not? If you don't, I suggest you contact the FTC for clarification on this subject. Clearly, your contract wording needs some work, as do your advertising and telemarketing habits. Don't you find it strange that complaints about your company are pasted all over the Internet? You must be doing something really wrong to be in this situation. You seem to be awfully busy, going to a lot of websites to cover ASM's hind end. If you like, I can post some excerpts from the BBB here about your company as well. After all, if YOU are allowed to tell people about your company, they should know the truth from the BBB.

I will be getting some legal advice in the near future on how to deal with your company. Soliciting my cell phone and pulling my number from Cragslist violates at least two laws, but I want to know what action to take. Companies that do business in the manner that ASM does are despicable.

• Th
      19th of Jun, 2009

I was also contacted by the company about selling a car I had on CL and was told they had buyers in my area. I then asked for a ballpark number of buyers they had.I knew they wouldn't give me anything exact without exercising my credit card first. (Fair enough. It is a business making money.) I just wanted to see if this were a pitch or if the woman on the other end was actually looking at an actual computer screen that showed actual buyers in my area actually looking for the car I was selling. Of course, she couldnt' tell me that without getting the magical payment which would unlock the passcode on her computer and give her access to what only the csr's would have. So I moved on. When I asked for a copy of the 'guarantee', I was sent an attachment, which was the page from their website. Just not reassuring me Mr. Russell. Plus, a buck ninety nine does seem a little high when other reputable sites will run an ad 'till it's sold' for seventy to a hundred bucks. I also know that waiting on hold for longer than usual periods, and in some cases not getting a return call can be extremely frustrating. Especially after they have taken your money. And if someone goes as far as to sit down, go online, and post it for all to see knowing what that would do to the company, they're probably a person who was put on hold or didn't have his call returned. Nothing personal. I would check your company's procedures before going online a questioning whether someone who had given you a big chunk of change was telling the truth on a very public, and easily accessible website (found by simply typing 'auto marketing systems online' on google) I'll have to admit, I was skeptical before but have decided to skip this one all together for some of the comments here. Thank you for letting us know

• Pl
      11th of Jul, 2009

I too feel that the marketing tactics of this company are highly deceptive at the least and possibly illegal. I plan to contact my state Attorney General's office to explore the latter possibility. Essentially, I was lied to. I was told on the marketing call that if I sold the car myself to someone other than one of the buyers that they provided, that I would get a refund less a $29 processing fee. That seemed fair, so I signed up based on that understanding of their refund policy. After roughly a month that they were supposedly "marketing" my car, I had not receive one single lead from them and it was costing my $8O per month to keep the car insured. My far less expensive AutoTrader and Craig's List ads produce several interested potential buyers over the same period of time and one of those inquiries led to the sale of my vehicle. When I called to tell AMS that I had sold my car to a buyer that found me through AutoTrader and to ask about the details of how to apply for my refund, I was directed to the fine print in a letter that they had mailed me a week or two after I signed up over the phone. It was only then that I discovered that the refund policy given to me on the phone did not match the refund policy stated in their letter. I never agreed to the terms of the letter, and I was most definitely told a different story on the phone call to get me to sign up. Fortunately, I have not yet paid the credit card bill with this charge on it, and I plan to dispute the charge through my credit card company. If it is not resolved to my satisfaction, I will then file complaints with the NM State Attorney General's office and the BBB. I may also sue for damages in our local small claims court. If you are in a similar situation, I encourage you to do the same. If enough people file legitimate complaints, AMS will either need to clean up their act or the authorities will shut them down so others won't be hurt by them. If you have not yet signed up, don't fall for this bait-and-switch routine. There are far more effective and less expensive ways to sell your car.

• Rp
      25th of Aug, 2009

They promise to sell your car for 199.00, and if they do not or you sell your own car you have to wait 90 days have papers notarized ??? Then you might get paid...Stay Away!!!

27th of Aug, 2009

Never fear, folks the FTC is on our side! They just passed a new law that will go into effect September 1st outlawing "robocalls"! Telemarketers will NO LONGER be able to use them to contact consumers. Here is the link so you can see what I'm talking about, and with information on how to report companies that don't follow this rule after Sept. 1st. It should go a long ways towards stopping companies like this that illegally comb the internet looking for phone numbers to harass you for things you don't want.

• Bk
      13th of Sep, 2009

I wish I would have seen this complaint site before I made a comittment for this company's services. In my opinion I lost $99.00 for a service that I think is a scam. The promises were big. The large list (over 800 people) they said they had with people specifically looking for my vehicle must have disappeared as I never received one inquiry. I too was a sceptic as previous commenters have written, but received a link via email to their site by their phone solicitor. I was informed by the solicitor that they had applied for a BBB rating but hadn't received it yet and that they expected an A+ rating. I suggest that you or anyone you know may want to think twice about using this service.

13th of Sep, 2009

They DO have a BBB rating. It's a solid C, with a warning from the BBB that you should use this company at your own risk, and it's not recommended to do so. That A+ rating she told you about is a lie, and nothing more. It's so sad that a company has to use deceptive sales pitches instead of just doing a good job and making people happy.

Now, you can contact the BBB and your local Attorney General's Office and file a complaint to get your money back. I would also recommend doing so to bring attention to this shady company that scams people and uses false sales pitches to get your money. As a matter of fact, I would urge you to do so! The more complaints against the company, the better the odds are of them getting shut down so they can't scam anyone else. Please, take the time to write about your experience and file complaints!