australian-ancestors.com / misleading and wrong prices quoted

1 Queensland, Australia Review updated:

This site is not good for aussie researchers, I have years of experience in online family research and this one couldnt even come up with records i know exist on other sites, their aussie history database is very poor I only used it for an hour but hey wont give me a full refund i have to minus 9.95 Us$ for "handling, processing and software" but i feel ripped off, even their prices varied between email and join up site with different titles for what you were paying for, they offered unlimited 3yrs at Au$14.99/yr plus Au$17.99 for State and Federal records, plus Au$12.99 For global services, plus Au$5.60 For International Pass Total of73.58 Aust$ which Equals approx 49.53 US$
But the email to me
Billing information
Membership type:3 Year Unlimited for a total of 39.77 $ USD
Extended Federal & Nationwide Search for a total of 17 $ USD
Extended Database Search for a total of 11.86 $ USD
Extended Business Search for a total of 4.95 $ USD

Grand total: 73.58 $ USD

Again not what the site quoted, it was also very hard to contact them as you cant use the contact us link and you can only submit one ticket at a time and cant add to it

Comments

• Be
      26th of Jan, 2009

I agree, this has to be the crappest geneology product on the market. I likewise could not find people I knew to exist including Australian WW2 soldiers (I couldn't find a single ancestor who served, despite having 3 of 4 grandparents and one great-grandparent, numerous great-aunts and -uncles). It's also very difficult to find out how to cancel your membership. I signed up for a 3 year unlimited membership and somehow ended up having purchased a 5 year Plan!

• Pa
      27th of Jan, 2009

I too am having quite a difficult time in obtaining a refund from this company. They seriously need to be shut down if possible, or perhaps given more bad publicity. I registered back in Sept 08 and it only took less than 3 minutes to realise this site was not what I required. I emailed them straight away and asked them not to debit my card. I did receive a reply email from them asking me to re-consider- to which I replied NO - The site does not give me the information I need. However the debit to my card still went through and for an inflated amount!
    I have sent no less than 15 emails to them asking for my refund - They do reply however they use various excuses claiming they cannot find my details, which is really strange considering I have sent them back the email originally sent to me with my registration details on it?

• Ka
      7th of Feb, 2009

I totally agree with all of the above. It is a waste of money and NO good for Aussie users. I'm trying to get my mey back at the moment. It's very frustrating!

• Ka
      7th of Feb, 2009

Sorry in the above comment it should say 'money' back...
    I would recommend NOT signing up to this product!

12th of Feb, 2009

Oh dear and oops - if only I had read these comments before I signed up a couple of hours ago...having given my credit details for the order, I received an on-line password but have been unable to log-on - according to my Firefox browser it 'could not find the host server for the provided address'...I have since sent their customer support a request for immediate access or cancellation / refund (after all they claim a 7 day money back guarantee if not satisfied!?)... I guess my gullibility was that it has links from reputable software (Legacy) and I trusted those references...and if I do get access it seems like the Australian content I'm seeking may very well not be there... thumbs down to Australian-ancestry.com

• Sc
      26th of Feb, 2009

I thought i was paying 14.99 aus dollars only seems it has cost me 91.00 aus not what i signed up for I have disputed payment and put an email to them to not use my credit card ever again what a rip off you cannot search for anything all it gives you is links

• Sc
      26th of Feb, 2009

if you send them an email to say not to use your credit card again for anything else and make sure you give number then do a screen print of email and another of submitted email and keep they can be had for fraud if they use it again also ring bank and dispute the payment

• 20
      23rd of Mar, 2009

I agree with the above compliants. I too subscribed to their service last Thursday March 19 2009 for a fee of less than $25 Australian. I then tried to access their data base to receive the response:
    "unknown data base 'USER_member'. Thus far I have not been debted any money from my credit card. I will continue to check my credit card in the coming days and post the information here. Given the above compliants, I would advise people not to subscribe to this organisation. Google/Firefox seem to have removed this site; I have luckily stumbled on to this compliants site when I did a seach for "australian-ancestors".

23rd of Mar, 2009

for what it's worth - after appealing to VISA for a 'disputed item' charge, my bank advised a week later 'disputed item resolved in your favour' ... the process is a bit of a hassle but definitely worth it..

• Ct
      23rd of Mar, 2009

They have also a "SmartDraw" free download on this site.
    After contacting the head company, they have no affiliation with
    Australian Ancestry.com at all & will be checking further as to why
    they are stating download from "Smartdraw". Again you are unable to download or access anything

• Do
      29th of Mar, 2009

I can't agree with you more. I cannot believe I was so stupid! I realised something was wrong about three minutes after I'd signed up as I couldn't get into the site. I immediately contacted my bank (which bank?), and forgetting the inconvenience, stopped and cancelled my credit card. It still means the company can send charges through but if I can prove I sent an email saying I had cancelled my membership within the 7day cooling off period then I should be ok. The bank should be able to "bounce" the charges back. I'd really like to know if anyone has had continuing problems. I wish I had googled the site before I signed up. A lesson learnt.

Donna

29th of Apr, 2009

I paid a membership last year. At the time I was busy with other things but expected to get information whenever it was convenient.
    I have found it impossible to access anyone. Names readily available on other genealogy sites are not accessible. AustralianAncestors advertise that any records on anyone are available.
    While I did not really believe that, I expected a lot more than what I got, which is nothing. I needed help from them but so far have not been able contact them by email.There is a phone number to ring between 9pm and 10am. That is not covenient for me.
    I thought this was an Australian website. I was sucked in by the name. How does one email them?

Does consumer affairs deal with these things? It is about time something is done to stop these scams.

Annette

• St
      22nd of Feb, 2010

How good is 20/20 hindsight !!! ... Web site address for AUSTRALIAN ancestors = www.australian-ancestors.com ... err where is the ".au" ... 1st wakeup call.
    2nd wakeup call ... all rates expressed in US$ !!! 3rd wakeup call ... can't access site, access timed out ... you ### !!! There goes another $68.63 $USD to help Obamas bloody deficit !!!

• Dd
      22nd of Aug, 2010

Try going to australian -ancestors.com now! It's a marketing site with no reference to geneology whatsoever and yes, I got ripped-off for close on £50 GBP. It was a huge con.
    I live in England and am trying to trace relatives who emigrated to Auatralia in the mid 1950's. If any geneologists out there know how I can get started, I would be most grateful. my email is ddt1945@talktalk.net. No spam please.

• En
      21st of Sep, 2010

What a dud!! paid for three years, oh can't log in.-- yes got on to somone who gave me a new password, ok in we go --- but cant find anything I want -- tried a few easy ones, yes got some current names, from the phone book but no old information. plenty/only American references--- Australian Ancestors I don't think.. Can I have my money back --- Sorry--- too late. Now a bit over a year later -- I wonder if 'it' is working yet? --- you guessed it nothing but dissapointed subscribers. as they say in France - humph but what can we do? oh well easy come easy go and good bye to you all.