AUL Extended Warranty / Coverage fail

1 1132 N Polk extMoscow, ID, United States Review updated:
Phone: 2084033851

Before I bought my next car (Saturn vue 2003), I took it to a mechanic to take a look at it and he only found that the CARRIER BEARING was worn out. So I went back to the dealership and they offered me an AUL warranty (estate coverage) that would cover this problem and many other problems. I got the car and after a couple of months I took my car the chevy dealership to take care of the CARRIER BEARIG. Later that day I receive a phone call from the tech, who said: "AUL wont cover the carrier bearing". So, I called and I told them that the main reason I bought their warranty is to be able to fix the CARRIER BEARING, because I knew about it before hand. On top of that, I told them that the contract would cover it. Now, this is the excuse the guy told me over the phone:"The CARRIER BEARING, as listed in the contract, is known to us under the name of "center support" therefore the warranty would not cover it. Is that the most stupid excuse ever or what??? carrier bearing and center support are the same thing.!
All this happened last weeek and I'm still calling people involved to get this fixed. There is no way in heaven Im going to fold my arms. They have to fix this and they will.!

Ed

Comments

• Jm
      2nd of Dec, 2008

COMPLAINT SHOULD BE AGAINST SELLING DEALER. SERVICE CONTRACTS WILL NEVER REPAIR FOR PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS. WHY DIDN'T ORIGINAL DEALER FIX THIS? HE APPREARS TO SELL CARS THAT ARE DEFECTIVE, ESPECIALLY KNOWING THAT THE PART WAS BAD AND TELLING YOU TO LET THE WARRANTY COMPANY PAY FOR IT.

• Mr
      12th of Jul, 2011

THIS COMPANY IS NOT WORTY THE TIME OR MONEY JUST GO OLD SCHOOL (SAVE FOR THE RAIN DAY). I HAVE TOOK MY CAR TO NAPA SERVICE CENTER TO GET MY CAR DECLINE FOR A WATER HOSE AND 2 CLAPS AND WATER PUMPS (estate coverage) SO I HAVE TO DO IT ON MY OWN MONEY WASTED. PLS DO NOT USE THIS COMPANIE IF YOU DONT WONT TO WASTED UR TIME AND MONEY

• Ra
      30th of May, 2012

Warranty's have specific coverages on listed items only. Also they do not coven pre-existing conditions. This is not the fault of the warranty company, but the fault of the selling dealer that has sold the warranty knowing that is was not going to be covered. I do not believe that we are getting the full story, but I do not think that the warranty should be at fault

4th of Mar, 2013
    AUL Extended Warranty - WON'T PAY
    AUL CORPORATION
    Napa
    California

We purchased a power-train warranty on a 2003 Pontiac Aztec from AUL Corporation. The power-train warranty was for 24, 000 miles/24 months. Shortly after we purchased the vehicle we had a service engine light come on so took it back to the Team One Chevrolet in Charlotte Michigan. They claimed it was old codes that were left in the computer. The problem came back and the engine started to make noise. This time we took to Fox on Alpine. The problem was the rocker arm assembly had broken. AUL denied the claim because they said they do not cover fasteners or rivets. It was inside the engine and part of the rocker arm assembly. I feel like we were ripped off and I don't recommend any aftermarket warranties to anyone. Especially AUL Corporation. They are crooks!!!

• Zo
      10th of Jun, 2014

While I agree that a carrier bearing and center support are the same thing I think you and the dealer should be arrested for stupidity; i.e., admittedly trying to get a previously known problem covered under the warranty.

You should just be quiet and take your lumps. You tried and failed. I was a service writer in dealerships for many years and sold lots of extended warranties with the exact same intention that you had; getting something that was known to be going bad covered in the future. But in doing that I always explained to my customers that it was a gamble and might not work on that particular repair but that the warranty would pay off in the long run. And it always did.

Many times the key in getting something covered under an aftermarket warranty is in how it is presented to the warranty company. This is where the service writer needs to study the nomenclature that the warranty company uses in it's contracts and literature and use THEIR terms for parts and repairs instead of the ones he may be used to. It's also good for a service writer to develop a working relationship with one or two adjusters at a warranty company. That way they become familiar with each other and can develop a trust and understanding that will help smooth out rough spots that sometimes arise in a claim.

My best advice to consumers is to buy the factory warranty offered by the car maker. This is possible even if you don't buy from a factory dealer but, they are usually more expensive and have lower mileage and age restrictions. However, they offer much more coverage, they are designed for the brand of vehicle you drive, and sold by the people that build and sell the brand of vehicle you own. And that, in my opinion, gives you an edge in getting something repaired because everybody involved wants to keep you as a customer. The auto maker and the dealer.

But, with older and higher mileage cars factory warranties aren't available so my advice is to take any service contract you are looking at to a good repair shop and have the service writer or a technician look at it and tell you if it covers the "good stuff".

• Zo
      10th of Jun, 2014

Did the rocker arm break or did the bolt "holding" the rocker arm assembly break or come loose? Big difference! The bolt could fail due to being over or under tightened. The rocker arm assembly would normally only fail due to a failure in the part which is what the warranty is for.

This is where HOW a service writer presents the damage and repairs needed to the warranty company makes a big difference. As a former service writer in dealerships for many years I always studied a warranty company's language on it's contracts to see how they described what they did and did not cover and then tried to word my comments to fit what they would accept, even if I knew otherwise.

Sometimes it's just knowing how to play the game and bend the rules right up to the limit.

As a former service writer I ALWAYS tell people to buy an extended warranty on a used car. I do most of my own repair work but I still buy warranties to cover the big stuff. ALWAYS!