AT&T Wireless / unauthorized charge, misinformation of contract end date resulting in early cancellation fees, intentionally charging for services not used

1 NY, United States Review updated:

Summary: stay away from AT&T. I am now a Tmobile customer and so far have seen a greater level of transparency as opposed to the old Tmobile.

Issue 1: Early cancellation due to misinformation by AT&T reps.
- Fully conscious of contract cancellation fees, i called AT&T on multiple occasions asking when my contract expires. The reps on 2 occasions said that April 12, 2011 was the expiry date. After i cancelled on April 15, 2011, then i received a final bill which included cancellation charges. When i called to inquire, they told me the contract was over in September and even though they could see records of all the past calls, they would not honor what the past reps had told me, and insisted that i pay the cancellation fees.

Issue 2: AT&T does not remove Iphone data plans when a user removes the iphone from their account.
- When i lost my iphone, i called to deactivate the line. The rep deactivated it but did not inform me that the data plan would still be active. This should be the responsibility of AT&T to remove the plan.

Issue 3: Knowing that AT&T would be charging me for my final bill of which i disputed, i went online to remove the automatic payment. AT&T charged me automatically anyways, illegally charging my credit card without permission.

U1

Comments

• Av
      1st of Jul, 2011

That is absurd, clearly you are not the only one. Many people are finally complaining about AT&T and their ridiculous fees, especially on the data plans. Did you know that independent researchers claim that AT&T routinely overstates data usage by 7-14%, and in some cases up to 300% on users iPhone and iPad data plans. That would mean that if an iPhone user downloads a 50KB website, AT&T’s bill would overstate the traffic as 53.5KB (a 7% overcharge) to as much as 150KB (a 300% overcharge).

You should check out this article from Scam Book: http://www.scambook.com/blog/2011/06/is-att-over-charging-you/

Also I recommend that you visit their website and file a complaint, scam book has their own legal team which is readily available to assist victims of consumer deception by filing class action lawsuits on their behalf. The law suits are actually dependent on how many people filed complaints, if there are enough people to pursue the case you could have a chance of retrieving your refund.

Good Luck.

• Su
      16th of Aug, 2012

I have had nothing but trouble with AT&T Uverse. In November 2011 I decided to bundle my cell phone, internet and uverse together. Boy what a BIG mistake. The customer service representative did not bother to tell me that I had to pay 3-months in advance for my cell phone. So between December 2011 - March 2012 I have paid over $1, 600.00 to AT&T for charges they say I owed. One month my bill was $654.00 - that is more than my house note. In June 2012 I decided to cancel my service with them for good. I sent the equipment back to them and requested that they send me a final bill. No bill was ever received, but they did zap my checking and overdrew me with the bank for $432.64. You can talk to 50 different people in that company and you get 50 different answers regarding the same question. They have really gotten "too big" for their britches.