AT&T Wireless / at&t wireless employee harrassing customer

1 CO, United States Review updated:

I have a friend, a woman, who went to an AT&T Wireless store last Saturday for some assistance transfering service to a new phone. Later that day she started getting harrassing text messages on her phone from a number she didn't recognize: "You're Hot!" "Hey Beautiful" "Hey Gorgeous." She ignored them, but they continued Saturday into Sunday. On Sunday she went to a different store and the clerk looked up the number that had been sending her the messages.

Turns out THE HARRASSING TEXT MESSAGES WERE FROM THE AT&T WIRELESS EMPLOYEE WHO HAD WORKED WITH HER THE DAY BEFORE. A guy who apparently thought it was alright for him to take her confidential client information and use it to harrass her. It was reported to the regional manager. That was Sunday. Today is Friday, and the guy who was harrassing her is STILL EMPLOYED BY AT&T WIRELESS. The regional manager wants to "give him a break" because the kid says he didn't do it (he claims his friends did it as a joke, though he can't quite explain how THEY got a hold of her confidential client information). Regional manager says he's a "good kid."

I've worked for Fortune 500 companies in the past. Personal use of confidential client information is grounds for termination. Apparently not at AT&T Wireless.

She's now terrified that he also got her home address when he was stealing her phone number. He also knows where she works, he asked her while she was in the store. So ATTENTION TO WOMEN WHO ARE CLIENTS OF AT&T WIRELESS. THEY APPARENTLY HAVE NO CONCERN ABOUT THEIR MALE EMPLOYEES ACCESSING YOUR CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION AND HARRASSING YOU. WHO KNOWS IF THIS GUY WILL REACT BADLY TO HER HAVING REPORTED HIM. THIS COULD EASILY HAPPEN TO YOU TOO.

Me

Comments

Mo
  17th of Oct, 2008

I would talk to a contract lawyer in your area to file a suit on the employee as well as his manager. A breach of confidentiality contract. He broke it he should pay. You have a good suit. I would persue this matter with a lawyer.

Di
  11th of Jan, 2009

Something similar happened to me while using ATT Wireless. I received a email that changes had been made to my account but I did not make any changes so I called and told them that. They told me that they couldnt explain it because whoever made the changes would have to know my personal information (last 4 of social security number and my zip code). I was in disbelief, they told me they "couldnt" even locate the rep that took the call and made the changes!! So I canceled my service on one line and resumed using a secondary line I had. The day I canceled the service it happened to me again.

How can this happen? Att should not allow employees to access client information without their consent and they should have security measures in place that can track who accesses it. I have to figure out what to do next.

Fl
  20th of Jul, 2010

You keep saying "confidential information" when referring to her phone number...I mean..really?...some dick just thought a girl was cute and texted her...If nothing else it's an understandably annoyance...but to act like its some sort of supreme court case is a little ridiculous.

Va
  20th of Jul, 2010

This post is scarry and two years old??? And yes it is a supreme court issue... There are privacy laws idiot! Why they won't even let me change my husbands account but an employee can get you personal info and possibly come and rape someone or anything else... Good lord whts wrong with you. You must be the kind of person who has done something similar to this.

Vi
  17th of Dec, 2010

thank you, uverse technicians are too busy as it is, the less customers the better!

Vi
  17th of Dec, 2010

Really? Can we stop being babies, oh my hes going to find youuu its called flirting, your probably the same person who is also scared to walk outside because you think everyone is going to turn into demons and snatch you up, wow get a life and def take a chill pill