AT&T Wireless/Blackberry Curve / warranty

1 1620 Mendocino AveSanta Rosa, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 707-591-9500

I purchased a Blackberry Curve at an AT&T store in Santa Rosa, CA in January 2008. In May, within the warranty period, I was plugging in the charging cable (carefully as always) and it didn't feel right. I looked in the charging port and noticed a couple of the connecting pins weren't aligned properly. It looked to me like a very small part of the plastic surrounding the pins was missing. I contacted AT&T. They said as there was "physical damage" to the phone it was not covered by the warranty. I explained over and over to numerous reps over several days and many hours that I didn't damage the phone, I was treating it carefully and the port just stopped working properly. I got the same response over & over: "physical damage so not covered." When pressed, one rep said that no matter what, including buttons that stop working...whatever, if it is physical (meaning not the electronic functioning) it isn't covered whether or not the customer did anything to cause the damage. This is OUTRAGEOUS! I cannot charge the phone with the charger, only through an aftermarket cord through the computer USB port. Even this doesn't work sometimes. I called Blackberry and they said they have no responsibility since the warranty is through AT&T. Beware of AT&T's warranty and Blackberry!

Comments

• Ak
      23rd of Jul, 2008

i am a subscriber of cellone prepaid (up east). i am receiving std calls from airtel (no started from 900042****) but outgoing calls are not allowed by the operator saying " this no does not exist" despite the fact that outgoing calls on other numbers are allowed. there might be some technical snag in the connectivity. i tried to make calls from other cellone prepaid numbers but result was the same. please arrange to get it rectified.

• Bl
      9th of Aug, 2008

Blackberry Warranty number 877-255-2377 they will send you a new phone

17th of Oct, 2008

Wow, your comment reflects the same experience I've had twice with this phone. The little cooper pieces in the charging port fell out in two different phones! I went through an incredible hassle and expense trying to get the first phone replaced. The representatives kept telling me it's physical damage and it will cost me almost $400 to replace it. They did eventually replace the first phone, which I only had 3 months. Then, unbelieveably, 3 months later it happened AGAIN. I even spent over $30 on new chargers after the first phone defect, just to make sure that the charger didn't cause the damage. This is extremely frustrating and the warranty stinks!

• Jc
      20th of Mar, 2009

usb repair info.. XD

• Jc
      20th of Mar, 2009

Tells you how to fix the problem. The post above is where to find the part.

• Km
      7th of Sep, 2009

My experience with AT&T has been completely frustrating. My daughter, age 18, returned her Palm Centro, as it was under warranty & not working (had never worked well from the start, but this was about 11 months into the contract). She was instructed by the person on the phone to mail her phone back & a replacement would be issued. A "new" phone arrived, (i understand they are all refurbished), but shortly thereafter, we received the old phone back with an arrow pointing to a tiny crack in the corner plastic. Due to this "abuse", we were charged $250 "damage" charge to her phone. I immediately returned the "new" phone, & requested that I not be charged. I purchased her a phone that worked better from the onset for about $100 on-line. I have read numerous complaints about the plasting housing on the Palm Centro, & my daughter is very careful with her phone (it's her lifeline!).

Since that time, I have been forced to pay the $250 to avoid having my phone service shut off (bear in mind that my contract is for 5 phones & I average $220/month in bill). I was told that when the phone that was returned was rec'd by the warehouse, it would take 2-3 weeks for billing to credit my account. Long story short, I have never received a credit, have been told that the $250 charge was not really for the new phone, but rather, damage to my old phone (which was my property...?!). After numerous phone calls/emails, I have gotten nowhere and now they tell me they don't have record of the phone being returned, anyway (I have the UPS tracking receipt, thank goodness). So, I don't even have the "new" phone.

I switched from Verizon because Cellular One had a cheaper family plan at the time...then AT&T took over & I made the mistake of re-signing with them. I once had a phone replaced in my first contract, & they simply sent me a phone...period...no hassle, no cheap tricks. I am a prisoner of AT&T's until 6/10, & have already told them I will never renew & to cancel my contract.