AT&T / phone repair charges

1 Knoxville, United States Review updated:

i received my phone bill for june for 308.88. my computer service was in and out several times. i called at least 8 times with varying degrees of success. the first time they came out they said it was my surge protector andthat would cost me 85 dollars, but if iwould add the inside wire protection plan they would cut that in half. instead another 12.50 was added to my bill. then they added another 95.00 service charge for a repair they said had to be done. after this the phone line goes down, they come repair it and all is well. notso fast. the phone line goes down a week later and they come back and decide they have to run a new line from the street to my box. a week later they put it in the ground. iasked what the 95.00 charge was for and they said they did not know but stood by it and would not take it off the bill. my complaint is that before they put the outside line in they did not fix my phone service, therefore those two charges are in error and should be credited back. i pay 100.00+ for my services and you have taken 20% of my wages i am truly disappointed that you speak of us as loyal customers and turn around and screw us like that. there are other options and i will be exploring those. sincerely, bill

Comments

14th of Sep, 2008

i agree with you that you should not pay att a thing. what does a surge protector have to do with phone and internet service. how can they garnish your wages and if so this is new to me. i am having the same problems as you are and it all started when the changed from sbc to att. phone goes then internet and then back and forth. i think i am going to get time warner and go with their phone and internet service. i cant call them cause the phone is down, so i go to their website to email them with this problem and you cant even email them... the pages give you the run around so screw them with their service. if you have some other alternative in my opinion i would say leave them as well.

14th of Sep, 2008

if you learn something good let me know please post it.

• Ji
      16th of Sep, 2008

AT&T always told me if the problem was inside my home I was responsible for the repair cost. I called from June till August about phone and Internet going out nearly every day. They after many calls finally replaced a box on the outside the house and now are saying I owe them 85 dollars because it's inside my driveway. This is 180 degrees from what they'd said all along before and they are standing firm if I call them and it's on my property not just inside my home I owe them . I have had them tell me many times it's inside your home and their plan even says so to be charged for a repair. How they can lie like this is beyond me.

26th of Sep, 2008

Ok this is how it goes, you pay for work done inside the house and the line that goes all the way to that box. Now from that box to the pole is theirs. So I say dont pay them a dime for that box because that box belongs to att. Talk to customer service and ask for the service manager and tell him/her what is going on and they should fix it for you because it happened to me and they repaired the box and didnt charge me.

• Ti
      19th of Dec, 2011

I got the AT&T service because one of there reps came to my neighborhood with a great deal 120.00 a month, but when the bill came it was 297.00. No one can explain this to me. I have been trying to deal with them for a month and a half, every time I call there is at least a twenty min wait, then you talk to someone in another state that can't help you. AT&T is the worst company I have every dealt with. They have NO customer service and as far as I am concerned there a bunch of liars. I have since switched companies and they are GREAT! I would not every recommend AT&T to anyone!!!

• Gg
      6th of Jun, 2012

Stupid AT&T is apparently the only one that services my area so I have no choice. Moved here in February and my internet wouldn't work. Had a repair man come out to the house after AT&T said there would be no charge as long as he didn't have to fix any lines inside the house, and all the guy did was move the router to the only wall jack that provided a good signal. So basically he just moved the modem and that was all. He told us on his way out that there shouldn't be a charge on our bill, and guess what. There wasn't ... until APRIL. All of a sudden, instead of $19.95, it's $138.75 because of a Trouble Isolation/Repair Fee. Great. Two months later. Not only did they lie to us but they sprung the charge two months later on us without any warning or authorization from me. I called to put a claim and here I am two months later with still no adjustment on the account after it appeared that they were going to have it removed. Of course, it never was so I called back, got transfered to FIVE different departments after spending almost TWO HOURS on the phone, only to hear that they say the charge is VALID because the technician had to "COME IN THE HOME." Finally, a representative who called her "Mona Lisa" offered me $50 and that was the best she could do, and said the adjustment would be immediate. Of course it was my fault for not staying on the phone until I saw the adjustment credited to my account, because it has now been 24 hours, and the amount due is still unchanged. If you're a fan of being ripped off, AT&T is the company for you. I should have taken the advice of just about every one of my friends and stayed as far away from AT&T as possible. Even Verizon's service is 100% better.