att high speed internet / internet speed downgraded

1 Dallas, TX, United States Review updated:

Since I got my business number from AT&T in March, I have had so many issues with AT&T that it's difficult to keep track of them all. I am at my breaking point. The worst part is that each person I talk with at AT&T seems to be more apathetic than the last.

My latest issue is with my high speed internet. I had high speed internet elite service and a home phone line. When I had my small business line installed, the installer said he had to "switch the pairs" with my home phone line. My home phone service stopped working properly. When I called AT&T, they denied responsibility and said they would charge me to send a technician out to check out the problem.

So, instead, I cancelled my home phone service. But, since I had my elite internet service on that line, I had to make arrangements with AT&T to move my internet to a internet direct account not billed on my phone service. Since past is prologue, I was very concerned about the move. AT&T assured me that my internet account would not change and that my internet service would not be down for more than 5 minutes.

Of course, on the scheduled date, my phone service stopped working as it was supposed to at 6am, but my internet was down all day. When I called AT&T, they told me that they should have told me that it could a couple of days. I was beside myself as I work from home and could not afford to be down for days.

The AT&T internet guy finally showed up and got my internet up. However, I noticed that my internet speed was slower. I called AT&T and they said nothing had changed. Then, this week, I got my first bill for the new internet account. The service had been downgraded from elite to pro. I called technical support at AT&T and they said my service had been downgraded and they transferred me to customer service to correct.

Customer service said elite service was no longer "available" to my home but that it should be. We're guessing that when the AT&T installer installed my small business line and "switched the pairs" that he changed something. In any case, AT&T told me someone would be out to check. That was on Sept 8. It is now Sept 15. I am calling AT&T today to find out what the delay is but my expectations are very low in getting resolution.

I cancelled my phone line and got efax.com instead for my fax machine. I am looking at porting my business number to another carrier. I am looking at alternate internet providers in the Dallas area so I can switch that too. By the way, my AT&T wireless service has been getting progressively worse over the past year. As soon as my husband's contract is up at the end of the year, we're both switching to Verizon.

Mh

Comments

• Kh
      28th of Nov, 2009
    att high speed internet - SLOW speeds
    att
    Pensacola
    Florida

WHEN I WENT TO REWARDS CENTER IT ONLY OFFERED ME A 100 VISA CARD FOR MY PHONE SERVICE. BUT WHERE IS THE REBATE FOR MODEM?

• So
      22nd of Sep, 2010

Good luck !!
    I have Verizon and I have NO OTHER CHOICE.
    THEY ARE THE PITS OF THE WORLD.
    Calculate at least an hour for a phonecall that should take ten minutes and add another hour, because you WILL be connected to the WRONG department, no matter what.
    A nightmare .
    They all suck !!

• Za
      17th of Jun, 2011
    att high speed internet - slow internet
    ATT
    Texas

I've had att high speed internet (DSL) for a few months now and I have the 6.25 Mbit package, but when i do the speed test at www.speedtest.net, it shows that I get a download speed rangeing from .5 to .7 Mbits

• Jh
      23rd of Jun, 2011

I disagre with JimSut. Although the speed package is an indicator of maximum speed, your contract with AT&T states that they will keep you as close to the max as possible. Otherwise their is no point in paying for the higher rate. A consistent low speed means that they are not fufilling their contract. Try calling AT&T and telling the problem, they may be able to switch you to a less congested circuit. Your speeds are so far below contract that they should be able to do something. Also check your own equipment and make sure that is not the problem. But if At&t's equipment is at fault you should definetly do something. This serious a breach of a contract agreement is not something to be "sucked up".

• Di
      5th of Nov, 2013
    att high speed internet - SLOW speeds

We were so hopeful when AT&T finaly extended high-speed service into our neighborhoodm in the "country." But alas, the pages wont' even load sometimes. For example, on Facebook, many icons won't show up and there are a lot of blue question marks and no it's not the router (which tested at above-average) and no, rebooting doesn't help. : ) When I wanted to read an I-tunes email about books, I had to use my iphone and turn off the wi-fi. When I had the wi-fi- OFF and just used the phone service, I was able to open the mail that wouldn't work with the high-speed. Yet when we called their customer service, they tested our connection and said it was "within their parameters." So its' within their "high-speed" paramaters that webpages won't fully load, and we get the blue question marks. That isn't real "high-speed, " to us. We have had one other "High-speed" service, Hughes satellite service - and AT&T isn't quite as fast. as they were The best thing I can say is it's less expensive. VERY DISAPPOINTED and we hope they will do rightly by their customers and provide TRUE high-speed service in the future.