AT&T / Dsl High - Speed Interent / outages, drops and other fun things

I've had AT&T dsl with no phone line for 4 months now. The first 2 months were plagued with outages and drops, I had my basic modem replaced 3 times and finally the last tech guy that paid a visit, my 4th visit in less than 2 months, gave me a 2wire modem for free. Same problems existed with that modem as well, dsl would drop 6-12 times a day, mostly at night, and speeds were consistently slowing over time according to numerous speed test I have done many times daily. Then about 3 weeks ago all the problems disappeared, only to resurface the last 3-4 days. The last tech suggested I bump down from 6MB service to 3MB, I was going to do this today, Saturday September 12, but nobody was around to do it in my midwest market, had to wait til Monday. A few hours later I noticed my download speeds dropped to 1MB an dhave stayed there for the last 5-6 hours, actually the last 3 or so days speeds have been very low, so I called again today about this being I forgot to mention it on the earlier call about changing packages. I finally get through to a human after 20 minutes of BS with the automated crap and begin to tell the ATT person my issues. Before we could even get to the speed problem, she informed me a new order for 6MB service has been placed in my name. HUH? She said records show I placed an order for 6MB service, something I have already had for over 4 months, on Friday September 10th. WHAT!? I asked for more info and she couldn't give it to me, she said I'd have to wait until Monday to talk with someone. She said the only thing she can see is that 6MB service was ordered under my name and number, but she couldn't tell me to what address or any other info, only that the activation date is September 16th. lol What is next with ATT? I'm almost afraid to think of that. So now instead of just having occasional dsl drops and awful download speeds all weekend, I now have to wonder what the hell is going on about this mystery service being ordered. After 4 months I'm about to give up already, if the speeds, drops and this new order are not resolved first thing Monday morning, I'm done with these ###ers. Back to Charter I will go, then after they go bankrupt I will have to go with clearwire, not as fast but reliable and cheaper.

Last speed test:
Download Speed: 1319 kbps (164.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 657 kbps (82.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

The normal down speed is around 5200 kbps/Up 660 kbps, so it seems the download speeds are only effected by whatever is going on. BS!

1 minute ago:
1316 kbps down
658 kbps up

Comments

• Co
      13th of Sep, 2009

Speakeasy.net/speedtest/ pic

13th of Sep, 2009

I guess I'm going to have to read up on how to upload pictures on here.

24th of Sep, 2009

UPDATE. I opened a maintenance ticket Friday and a tech came on SUNDAY! A Sunday. He spent over 3 hours on the street, then another 3 hours at a AT&T sub-station. There was nothing wrong with anything! He then called many different departments while he was here after 6 hours of ###! From 8am-2:30pm he worked his ### off for nothing. He then talked to those different departments, he, a AT&T tech, got transferred around and fed ### just like you or I would of been. The tech got so frustrated with AT&T he left a few times to go beat on his truck and yell at some people on the phone. So from 2:30pm-4:30pm he was on the phone with AT&T and finally it got resolved. It had nothing to do with software, hardware, lines, phone jacks, viruses, modems, boxes or sub-stations. It was INTERNAL! Some computer somewhere had me set at the lowest basic package, and mind you this switchover was days before I even called to switch from the 6MB package to the 3, the tech nor the person who finally figured it out could say why I was switched. Just fricking frustrating. So now I'm back at my 6MB speeds and AT&T has credited my account for a free month of 6MB service. Let's see if we have any problems with that next! lol AT&T's main problem, NO COMMUNICATION BETWEEN DEPARTMENTS.

24th of Sep, 2009

current speeds

5, 621 kbps download

671 kbps upload

That's more like it.

4th of Mar, 2010

I mean come on what is up with at&t and all of its outages I have not been able to connect to the internet for 2 weeks here in Mississippi! What is wrong with this company? I don't know but if this is not fixed soon I will be switching to Comcast or America Online.