AT&T / completely frustrated from at&t

I am writing in hopes that someone can help or point me in a direction that will help me find resolution. Thank you in advance. The details are listed below.

On 1/16/07 at approx. 9am I called AT&T to inquire about calling plans offered to china. I was offered the Asia Saver feature which would allow the first 60 minutes to be free and additional calls after that to be made at a rate of .15 a minute. I agreed and signed up for the Asia Saver 60.

The Asia Saver plan worked great except for two calls. On 01/16, after many attempts of dialing, I called the operator I told her that I was not able to get through to a number in China and asked if she could see if there was something wrong in the line . I called the operator to see if there was something wrong with the line (I had been able to reach the number from a different phone a few days prior so I knew the number was correct). She said she would try the number. She was not able to get through immediately and then she was after the second time. I asked her if I would be charged additionally if she dialed it. She said I wouldn't. This happened a second time on 01/31 when, after several dialing attempts, were unable to connect. We called the operator to see if something was wrong with the line and she again connected us. At the time of these calls we were told that these calls would not cost an extra amount. These calls cost $4.50 a minute for a total of $291.55... NOT .15 a minute as we understood. The phone system between the United States and China is not always reliable as far as being able to connect. I was very meticulous about making sure I followed the guidelines for making calls to China through the Asia Saver. I specifically asked the operator if we would be charged additionally and she said in this case no I wouldn't.

I called the phone company and spoke to an agent (I didn't document the name of the person) the last week of February. I asked about the charges to China and asked why one call was $33.25 and another call was $258.30 while the rest of the calls to China were .15. She wasn't sure and said that it must be a billing glitch. She said that someone would be taking a look at it and if it was determined to be a billing error, then my account would be automatically credited. I asked if someone could call me back and she advised me to keep checking my account online to see if the charges were credited. If they weren't I was to call back. I paid my phone bill for the amount minus the disputed charges.

There were no credits so I called back on 03/13 and spoke to Matt to dispute these charges again. He said he couldn't see any reason why I would have been charged that amount either. I told him the only difference I could see between these two charges was that they were under the heading of "operator assisted". Matt said he didn't think that should matter but he wasn't sure. He said this had been escalated and to keep checking my online bill for any credits. I asked to speak to a manager. He said one was not available and he could have one call me back in 48 hours. I gave him my cell phone number to call. I received no call back.

I called back on 3/23 and spoke to Maribelle. I explained that I have been waiting for a callback from a manager regarding a billing dispute. She put me on hold and spoke to her manager. She came back and said that a specialist, Leena, would be working on it. I asked to speak to Leena and was told someone would call me back in the next 15 days after Leena had reviewed my dispute. I asked to speak to the manager she had spoken to while I was on hold. I was told that the manager wasn't available now but the manager could give me a call back within 48 hours. I didn't receive any callback.

On 04/09 I received a disconnect notice saying my service would be disconnected if I didn't pay in full by 4/13. I called back on 4/09 and spoke to Ricky. He told me that no dispute of charges had been filed and that's why I received the disconnect notice. He put in a dispute claim (I thought this had been done the first time I called in February). I asked to speak to a manager because there seemed to be a communication gap between their escalation department. He said one was not on the floor. He said a manager could call me back within 48 hours. I explained that I have been waiting for a callback since February and I just wanted to get this straightened out. He said that in the notes someone had called me back on my cellphone on 3/16 at 2:09 pm... the notes say that they called and it was hard for the caller to hear so caller said that they would call back. when the caller called back, they got a busy signal. I told Ricky that never happened; I went online to view my cell phone records while Ricky was on the call and confirmed that no one had called me on 2/09 from AT&T... not that day or anytime. I told Ricky I really wanted to speak to a manager. He disconnected the call.

I am completely frustrated at how this has been handled. I worked for Pacific Bell Internet in the call center so I understand how call centers work. It might be excusable for one miscommunication during a string of calls, but this is not acceptable. At this rate, the phone company can choose to ignore any billing disputes and offer no way for the customer to speak to someone in charge while shutting your services off without having to offer any documentation that the dispute was even looked into.

I would like the two calls that were charged at a rate of $4.50 to be charged at a rate of .15 per minute, per the Asia Saver plan that I agreed to. Again, I specifically asked the operator if I was going to be charged extra for her putting the call through after I was not able to by directly dialing and was told I would not.

Comments

• My
      7th of Jul, 2007

I am so frustrated with AT & T too. I don't understand why such a big company cam rip people off so easily if we don't read what they charge us. I had my bill fluctuate so many times in a course of a year, when I only use their service for internet. When I finally decided to cancel their darn service, they have the nerve to bill me for the following months service along with the disconnection fee. I canceled it during the previous billing cycle and they bill me for the next cycle. My billing cyle ends June 21 and I canceled my service right a way on the 19th. When I do call them to ask why does my bill fluctuate so much when I don't even use my phone service, they just made up so jibberish on certain fees, I was too tired to argue with them. AT&T sucks!

4th of Sep, 2007
    AT&T - Rebates

I submitted a rebate for $50.00 from at&t for their high speed internet. I sent the rebate febuary 22, 2007. My husband then called august 7 , 2007, they claimed we didn't send the activation sticker. How funny? How would you have my infomation then? So the girl my husband spoke to said she would resubmit it and would take 4 weeks. I waited 4 weeks. Called again, spoke with tiffany. She claims it was submitted and we would have to wait another 8-12 weeks, and additional 4 weeks for full processing. That's approximately another 4 months. So its taking over a year to process a rebate? Ridiculous. I wish i would of read the other complaints before i signed up with AT&T.

4th of Nov, 2007

The rebates are a complete joke! Why can't they just give their customer a decent deal in the beginning? The advertising is misleading at the least. Due to my past experiences with AT&T, I would recommend using an alternative company for your communication needs. Do not agree to any contracts with any company, for their good service will be commitment enough, no contract(s) keep a company honest!

• Da
      28th of Dec, 2007

I am experiencing the same problem with a $50 equipment rebate from AT&T. I am considering legal action against them for false advertisment. Are you interested in a class action law suit?
    Darlene D.

17th of Sep, 2008

Since may of this year Ihave been trying to get my rebates from at&t for a land base, cell phone and the internet, a total of $200, 00. I have not recieved one red cent I am a senior citizen and i pay my bill when it's due my son died in april and that's when I switched to AT&T because of the promotion they sent me in the mail. I have call every one I was told to call to no avail I've just had surgery and I no longer have the strenght to hold on the telephone for hours someone please help me with this problem i'm at my wits end thanking you kindly Maxine Sherfield

• Bl
      9th of Dec, 2008

I switched my home phone, cell phone, internet and cable service all over to AT&T. The actual products are great, but trying to get the rebates has been a nightmare. They bait you with great incentives to move your service, but just try to get your rebates! I switched my service on 7/12/08 and 5 months later, I still do not have all of my rebate money. Then, on most you get a gift card, which I have has lots of trouble using...sometimes it works, but most of the time it won't accept the card. If the rebates are a BIG part of making the switch for you, DON'T DO IT! You will encounter mountains of frustration in dealing with this company...everyone is really nice, but nothing ever actually gets done.

• Mi
      8th of Mar, 2009

AT&T sucks!

• At
      22nd of Apr, 2009

I'm an ex at&t employee. I can honestly say is the worst job I ever had. Since day 1 I noticed their selling practices were not the best. I have been in sales for a long time, and I can tell you that I felt so cheap working for AT&T because of the way they treat their customers.
    First of all, AT&T does NOT have a customer service department. AT&T has 1 department, SALES, which handles all complaints, billing issues, so on, so on. Because you are speaking to a sales rep when you are calling about your bill, expected to be sold something. If you don't want to buy it, it may still appear on your next bill. AT&T plays the odds, and the odds are that you may not look at your bill next month, so they may get away with the sale.
    There are two common sayings at AT&T, 1) "It is what it is" 2) "What's in it for you."
    The first one means, that when a rep would feel so bad about the way a customer is being treated, for example, charged with bogus charges or someone upgrade their service without authorization, as a human you want to help the customer, but our manager would not allow us. The manager would say something like "it is what it is" too bad for the customer but there is not thing that we can do.
    So you are calling customer service, and expect to get help, but from the minute you are calling, the rep only has one thing in mind, "What's in it for him." If a rep has been in a call for a while, the manager will go to the rep and ask the rep what is going on. If there is no sale involve the manager will tell the rep to get rid of the call. We are instructed to only help those who may possibly buy something from us.
    During my tenure at AT&T I dealt with so many, many upset customers, and complaint so much about how AT&T does business. But the bottom line is customers continue to choose to do business with AT&T.
    I'm so surprise that there has not been an class-action lawsuit against their selling practices.
    att_complaints88@yahoo.com

• Ed
      7th of May, 2010

I received a letter on 05/06/07 and a statement from AT&T on 05/07/05. The letter threatened to take me to a creditor for $31.11 and the statement from AT&T showed balance Zero. And wouldn’t you know it, I paid it by phone from fear to mess up my credit one hour before the Statement came in the mail with zero. Calling back did now good, they insist I own, so I guess a statement doesn’t matter to AT&T.