AT&T / bad service and bogus charges

When I complained to AT&T about a bad connection with my phone service (lot's of static), they said that they would "check on it" and that they would "get back to me," but they never did get back to me. To add insult--and shock--to injury, my next bill was up by $58 dollars!!!

When I called AT&T to ask them why my bill was so much higher than usual, they claimed that I had requested that they come over to check the problem at my home. Even though I made no such request and I live in a house, they told me that they supposedly came to my home and the "landlord wouldn't let them in".

I told them that they are supposed to ask me first before charging me for any supposed service and they did not inform me or get my consent. They rudely told me to "let [them] finish" and continued with countering that they "don't need my permission" and that they will have it "investigated" and it will take 10 days.

They said that they will call me, but if they don't call me then I am supposed to call THEM and ask about the investigation. They told me that if they decide not to credit me, then I will have to ask them about "my options" (whatever that means).

Yes, I was RIPPED-OFF rudely and unapologetically by the corporate giant AT&T. Basically, the message was that they are a monopoly now and that I have to take their bad service and bogus charges because I have no other choice!!!!!!!

Va

Comments

• Sc
      10th of Apr, 2007

While in the hospital for a week, I purchased a Month of service from ATT WorldNet. I used their dial-up for four days; however, agreed to pay for the month as that was how they billed. I paid $20.00 for unlimited access with local access. When I was released and got home and I canceled the subscription and figured I would see a $20.00 charge on my credit card account. However, today I see a charge for $233 on my credit card and I called ATT immediately. I talk with the first representative and she could not understand a word I was saying and ended up just hanging up after becoming frustrated she could not speak English. I call a second time and get a women who said she could not help me as I did not know the email and password for the account (remembering I used it in the hospital for 4 days for college and canceled it after being released). I asked if I could use my CC number or billing address to access the account and she says no. I explained the situation and said I needed help with this ASAP, she went silent and would not say a word. I kept saying hello... hello... and she would say yes... and then say nothing more. Finally after 15 minutes of her silence I demanded to speak with a supervisor who could access my account. In return, I held for 15 and finally the phone started to ring on the other end - it did that for 10 minutes before I hung up. I then called back and was put on hold once again this time the person did not speak English and could not understand a word I was saying. I said please can I speak with a supervisor, he said someone would call me back in 72 hours. I said I would not wait 72 hours and wanted to speak to someone now! After remaining persistent and pointing out he really didn't understand my problem, I was forwarded to a supervisor (so I was told). I explained to the supervisor my situation and he gained access into the account. He told me the charges were due to my use of their 888 number (10c minute). I said I bought unlimited hours and did not use a 888 number as I picked out local access numbers. He said "I am sorry". I said sorry for what, he said "I am sorry there is nothing I can do". I said I wanted my money back. He kept saying I used an 888 number for four days in the hospital. I said why would I pay 10c a minute when I just purchased unlimited minutes and had three local access numbers. He said "login in and see what number the modem uses". I said that I deleted the account from my modem after I canceled the account - I had cable at home and had no need for my modem. He said "opps... we can't help you. Since you can not login using the modem we will not credit you - I am sorry". I told him if he could not help me to give me the number of the person above him, he refused! He said there was no person above him and there was no one else I could speak too. It turns out they have no complaint department and supervisors looking over their customer service department. He finally hung up on me after I kept repeating that this matter was not resolved and I was not satisfied with the call. I can't believe this company, they care nothing for their customers and the clincher is I have my cell phone account through them. I am not sure what to do. I have never dealt with a company that did not have a customer service supervisor or a complaint department. I have other account I am thinking about closing with your company including a 2 year cell contract.

2nd of Jul, 2007

I have had AT&T 's All Distance plan for many months at the flat rate of $39.99. This month AT&T added a long distance surcharge of 99 cents plus tax without any explanation or reason.

How can they arbitrary add to an agreed upon plan without consulting or informing the other party?

Imagine if they do this on one million customers, then they get an extra one million dollars every month.

4th of Nov, 2007

Due to my past experiences with AT&T, I would recommend using an alternative company for your communication needs. Do not agree to any contracts with any company, for their good service will be commitment enough, no contract(s) keep a company honest!

9th of Jan, 2008
    Best Best Advice +4 Votes

Bell south sold to AT&T and tossed me to the wolves. AT&T are cold blooded thieves who look for ways to cheat their paying customers. My problem started when the cross talk on my phone got so bad my mom refused to call. For over a month there was cross talk and bad connections. My brother has worked on phones for 36 years and runs a phone company about 100 miles away. He taught me how to disconnect my house from AT&T service lines and check to make sure my house wiring is good. I have a degree in electronics and it was a simple matter of unpugging a plug and inserting a phone into the box on the side of my house and phoning out on THEIR LINES NOT MINE. KNOWING that no problem existed inside the residence , I called AT&T repiar department. I told them to please check their lines and equipment. Faruther, I informed them I was leaving town and my house would be locked. I t0ld them that I had determined the problem was NOT inside my house and that NO one should, nor could enter the residence since it was kept locked. When I talked to them I asked that they check their lines, NOT MINE. I DID NOT tell them how to check their lines. I assumed they would load the lined at the office and check their equipment. Instead they say a repair man came out and unpluged their line at the box and found dial tone and I must pay them 86 dollars for the trip.. WHAT! They say, that because the phone was working at the moment,, , MY wiring is bad and therefore I recieved a charge of 86 dollars. They qualify the charge as a trip charge. Let me get this right, 86 dollars to drive a few miles spend 5 minutes checking THEIR LINES. Sadly, IF the charge had NOT been so outrageouos I probably would have paid without saying a word.When I calledthem to nicely get this straightened out. I was shocked at their response. It as as IF I was quilty and the burden of proof was on ME. I got the usual run around. Spend all day, two days in a row. Got the silent treatment, the, we can't help you. When I asked to speak to a supervisor there was NO ONE. One may shouted, SIR I am not going to argury with you. I said, no you won't because that is for kids. I just want service. Finally they agreed that someone would call back. SURE>> No calls yet. So I went on line and filled out a "dispute the carges " form. When I hit "send" my computer hung up. SO, I repeated several times but never got that sent. Had to reboot. Seems they have that base covered too. I am so displeased with the cold, uncaring attitude of AT&T I want a divorce from them as soon as something better comes along.. As soon as I can find someone else I will give my business to them EVEN IF I pay more. I warn everyone DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF SOONER OR LATER. Probably, sooner. They are loosing business because the are looking at the money not the service. They do not have a human nor compassionate side. ONLY COLD business tactits, walking on the edge of legal issues. To off set the losses of business they now rip off the few loyal customers. They are running us off and to compensate they make up bogus charges and make those who are still on their service pay for THEIR LOSS OF BUSINESS. After talking to them at leangth I have determined they see loss of business as loss of money instead of creating more business by being kind and fair to the people they greedly make up bogus charges to make up the loss of money and run rough shod over the customers. It's a loosing battle and the day everyone files a claim or a lawsuit hopefully is near. I would like to see a Class A action law suit from customers who have paid bogus charges..

9th of Jan, 2008

Someone from AT&T did call. They happily DID adjust my bill. I had agreed to a charge of 4.95 cents a month extra for Inside wiring insurance. SO I asked them to add that to my bill. But the lady I talked to said it is now 6.95 dollars a month. At the moment I am trying to get it for the original 4.95 dollars per month. At that price I won't have to go throught this again. BUT at 6.95 dollars I am un decided. BUT the problem has FINALLY been solved.. IF they will honor the 4.95 dollar price I was quoted I will get the inside wiring insurance. GOOD LUCK TO the rest of you.

• Ge
      20th of Feb, 2008

So I got a W300I from radio shack in September 2007 ago and still have my 1 year warranty on the phone. I called ATT to report that my phone, which is a flip phone, has one of it's piece's glue coming apart. Basically for every flip phone there is a little cushion, which is rubber in most cases, that protects the screen from hitting to hard on the other side of the phone when you close it. That rubber can not be moved in any way physically unless you intentionally get some sort of tool to remove it. The problem I encountered was that the rubber pealed off so I called ATT and report it and Mr. Tyler told me that the warranty considers that a physical damage. I asked for him to explain how it was considered a physical damage and he couldn't, so he transferred me to Sony Ericsson's warranty department. I spoke to an unprofessional man and he said the same thing and offered a repair that would take 10 business days. I asked him if I would be getting another phone for temporary use, he said no. I then asked for the manager because I felt ripped off. The manager sang the same song and now I am here. I feel that I deserve another phone in replacement because the manufacturers did a bad job on keeping the glue to stick for that rubber piece, and to my knowledge, the warranty should cover manufacturer defects.

• Sh
      21st of Feb, 2008

I thought this was free I do not want this billed to my phone!!!!

23rd of Feb, 2008

Please cancel . Tricked into signing up

• Pa
      5th of Mar, 2008

I just called AT&T to try and get a phone installed at my sons house ,a rental house ,and because there was a bill still unpaid from a previous renter I was told I would have to pay that bill before they would turn the phone on. I already have a phone in my house but wanted one in my sons house because my husband has a heart monitor that has to be hooked up to a land line in case his heart begins to fail. My son has a cell phone and doesn't need the house phone so I agreed to pay the bill. After several times informing the supposedly manager at AT&T that I needed the phone for medical reasons she insisted I had to pay a bill of someone who no longer rented there before I could get the phone turned on. I informed her that it was ilegal for her to try and collect a debt that I did not owe in order for me to get service. NOR DID MY SON OWE THIS BILL OR ANY ONE WE KNEW>I have been with Bellsouth 30 years and never had any trouble with them .Apparently AT&T think extortion is the way to collect money. I do intend to turn them into every legal gov agency I can. I also explained to this lady? that if my husband had a heart attack because I didn"t have a line to hook him up to while at my sons house that I would hold her and AT&T responsible for his health. She didn't care.There are federal laws stating you are not responsible for someone else's debts ,this was extorsion,she also diclosed this persons name and amount owed ,I think she violated the privacy policy by doing this,She refused service I was willing to pay for after I explained it was life saving for my husband. If any one can top this for being on the low life of human beings I would like to hear it. AT&T YOU MAY BE POWERFUL BUT YOU're NOT ABOVE THE LAW AND HUMAN LIVES TO COLLECT YOUR NEXT DOLLAR>sims7099@bellsouth.net

• Do
      26th of Mar, 2008

Rebate from 2007 never received. Called three times and still have not gotten 5 months later.

5th of May, 2008

I ordered att. They said that install was free. Connection was free. The first 30 min. I had my phone turned on I got two sales people calling asking for me by my last name. My name was not in the Phone book yet. They sold my number out to tellemarketers. They contributed to the tellemarker calls themself. At leasst 2 calls a day from att. trying to sell me a telemarketer block for 7.95 a month.I asked them to stop calling and they would not. I joined the do not call list. They kept calling. It became a phone for telemarketers. Three weeks after the phone was connected I called and told them to cut it off immedfiatly. They did. Three weeks of service total. Total cost-----over three hundred dollars.No b s. Install and hookup was free. thats some damn expensive tellemarketer conversation.Their supervisors could not give a rats ###. They said pay or they start collections and hit my credit. Dont get att.

5th of May, 2008

By the way my att cellphon bill went up 75 dollars.The can have that piece of ### back too.

5th of May, 2008

Everyone do like I did.Take a big dump.Wipe yourself with the payment check.Send it to them.!!!

18th of Sep, 2008

no such web site

6th of Oct, 2008

UNABLE TO CHECK THE CURRENT STATUS OF MY REWARD.

• Al
      31st of Dec, 2008

This wed site does not exist. This is false advertisement.

• Sh
      10th of Mar, 2009

AT&T is an evil company and anyone that works for their call centers for this company should lose lots of sleep and have flaming sacks of feces thrown at them!
    I have been pushed around; put on hold, transferred for 2 hours, and doubled charged under two different names for the same address. To put salt on the wound they sent my billing discrepancies to collections.
    They tried to murder my credit and no one has said sorry. Also about a week ago they sent a letter that said that they had credited my account and that I didn't owe. But the weirdest thing of it all they lied about the date that billing inquiry was made and fixed.
    I have one thing to say to the ### at AT&T of the KKK... “I have kept all my paper work. And as soon as I can prove my case I am taking your f.ed up company to court."
    My lawyer will be in touch!

• Mi
      17th of Mar, 2009

In Feb of 2009 I called AT&T about removing long distance charges on my business account since we dont need it. I asked if I had it removed, would I be in breech of any contracts I have signed with them. She said that it would not, I asked about 5 times to make sure till she started talking to me in a condesending way saying that it was for sure that there was no contract breech. After I canceld long distance on 3 of my businesses, the next statement had a long distance charge of not the normal 28 dollars but was 78 dollars and was not taken off. on top of it, my normal bill of 225 was now 587 dollars since it was a breech of contract to remove long distance. the lady on the phone told me there would not be a breech of contract which was a lie, and on top of it my long distance was still there and it went from 28 to 78 dollars! how does that make sense? I called to complain and to get my bill back to the way it was and the man I spoke with said the woman that made the changes is in the office and does not remember the conversation she had with me. I then spoke with a supervisor Elizabeth and she said she will have to wait till that girl calls me back to speak with me first. How does that make a difference when she already told the guy I was talking to that she does not remember talking to me? and also if she the representative knew what she was doing, she should have told the customer that if he changed his plan he would have a bill more then double the standard amount. and who in their right mind would allow that to happen if they were told that their bill would double if they tried to remove long distance? Obviously I was not told my bill would double, but was lied to. Since Elizabeth the supervisor said I would get a call back today, I asked her to fax me what she said in writing since I am so fed up with the lies. I gave her my fax number and asked her to fax me now and she said you will just get a call back. when I said you are not going to fax me? she just said you will get a call back. so no fax so it just another lie. I went to Comcast and now they can offer me the same service for $179 instead of $225 or $587 that AT&T charges. They have to check if my business is in their service area first and will let me know a week later. it will take 2 weeks for the change. I gave them the address of 6 of my businesses and 2 residential addresses to check since I will be changing all 8 accounts when possible and if it works out ok, I will be sending out fliers about this savings to the 200 restaurant owners at our quarterly restaurant meeting, hopefully AT&T will be losing not only my 8 accounts but much more after I convince them of the savings they can gain by leaving AT&T.

30th of Mar, 2009

Where is the website for redeeming my reward. I sure canot find it.

• Ro
      14th of Apr, 2009

was told to go to att.com/rewards after bundling my services for a gift card. guess what have been unable to do so. why so complicated-if I qualify for gift card lets give it.