ATT 2.4 GHz 3 Handset Answering Machine / Poor customer service

I purchased this item (Model # E2728B) about a week ago at our local Walmart Store in Houlton, ME. It was the last one on the shelf when I picked it up, and I noticed it had been already opened. I took it to the electronics dept. woman and told her I would be willing to purchase it anyway, if she would look through the box and make sure that everything was there.

She did, and said everything was there. When I took it out of the box a couple days ago and set it up, I noticed that there was no instruction booklet. I tried to work with it for a couple of days anyway--unsuccessfully. I called the local store and asked for the manager [protected]). A guy named "Skip" came to the phone, and I explained what had happened and asked him to mail me an instruction booklet. He put me on hold, and I just assumed he was getting something to write my address with, but instead a woman named "Irene" came on the line and asked me to repeat the story. I had to repeat every detail a couple of times for her, and she then said, "Well, are you going to bring it back?" I said, "No, I live quite a ways from town, and all I want is for you to mail me an instruction booklet." She got huffy and had me repeat all the identification details a third time. Then, she took my address. When I told her the address, she said: "Well, you don't live very far, I live in Hodgdon" (a town about 8 miles closer to the store). It is a 30-mile round trip to my local Walmart, and we are a 1-car family at present.

She then had the temerity to ask me why I didn't check the contents of the box myself before leaving the store. At that point, I had had it and I just said, "This is unbelievable. Please just mail me the instruction booklet" and hung up.

Comments

• St
      27th of Mar, 2007

Irene just called back and said, "We've been all out of those since the 23rd, and will not be getting any more in for 2-3 days." I simply said, "Well, please just get me an instruction booklet ASAP."

She said very rudely, "As soon as I can" and then hung up on me.

I called the store manager and told "Skip" what had happened. He said, "There is no need of that, I will have to have a little talk with her." Then he took my address again "to make sure she got it right."

So, hopefully this will be resolved positively.