Atlas Travel Insurance / Waste of time and Pointless Insurance Policy Insur

1 Medical Insurance Services 251 North Illinois Street, Suite , Indianapolis, IN, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-605-2282

Total RIPOFF. Here is why. Our own health insurance has a $4000 deductible. Therefore, any small incident our son might have while in a Student Abroad program would not be covered. I specifically told the Atlas representative that this was the reason we sought out additional coverage. Sure enough, our son twisted his ankle, while in Florence and required about $75.00 worth of medical care. After going through "Claims Hoop" we were then told that the claim was denied because the policy was secondary coverage, not primary coverage.

After explaining to the claims rep exactly why we had brought the coverage. I had gone over the policy in detail to be sure there was no language that defined the policy as "Secondary Coverage".

Under "IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR INSURANCE there is a link "Please be sure to read the summary of the coverage available under this plan, available at: Atlas Description of Coverage".

Appropriately listed on "Page 14" (yes, I had to read 14 additional pages) the document discloses that this is a "Summary of the Master Policy".

Any rationale human being would think that the header "IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR INSURANCE" should include this critical component of the Policy...but I know it is intentionally excluded.

There is also a "sales" page from their site, which is 11 pages long...There is no disclosure about primary / secondary coverage.

However, it is the Master Policy where the provision for Secondary Insurance is most likely disclosed. This "hide and seek" strategy of the Insurance company requires a Policy holder to purchase the policy, review up to 18 pages of information to verify that coverage is consistent with policy holder's needs and THEN seek out the Master Policy.

So, I am 60 years old and a seasoned business person, simply seeking proper coverage for my son...and Atlas almost “got me”. We couldn't get proper insurance through this company and spent more time than it was worth.

I disputed their Charge on my Amex card, disclosing all the above..and won the dispute...

Why? Atlas never responded to the Dispute Inquiry. They must figure that since most people will not challenge their scam, it not worth the time to even respond when a Dispute comes in...

You caught in the same scam/jam? Dispute the charge...

More Atlas Travel Insurance Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Sc
      26th of Dec, 2011

All travel medical insurance plans sold in the U.S. are secondary to any other insurance you have. And you should not purchased Atlas (or any similar plan) for the purpose you have described. You just need to talk to a better broker who is knowledgeable and experienced when buying the insurance.

5th of Sep, 2012

Please lodge your complain at https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/ .At least make it black listed so that it cannot cheat others. I am also facing the same issues with this fraud company