Atlanta Cattle Exchange / Door-to-door meat sellers rip off!

1 6728 Highway 85Cumming, GA, United States Review updated:

On Dec. 6, a pair of men drove up to my house and offered to sell me frozen, vacuum-packed meat at a "real bargain", 40% off retail! I went out to look at their wares, and they had cases of meat, chicken, pork and seafood. The product looked very nice, vacuum packed.

They said they had a satisfaction guarantee, and would make me a great deal on the meat, since it was the end of the day and they wanted to get home. I ended up buying one case of steak and one case of mixed chicken/pork. The total cost was over $450.

One of the men carried the food up to our front deck while I paid the other. After they left, my wife and I started putting the meat away in our freezer. We were surprised at how little the meat weighed, given how much we paid. After checking the net weights on all the packages, we were surprised to see that we had purchased a total of only 38.5 pounds of meat, with about 16 pounds of that being beef and the rest a mix of chicken and pork. The per-pound cost came out to a little less than $11.85 per pound, which is expensive meat anywhere in America, certainly not 40% off retail!

I contacted the company the next day to complain, and was foisted off to a "manager" who took my complaint. He said that the records showed that I had received two cases of steak and one of pork/chicken. I told him that this was not true, and we argued for a while. He said he would contact his boss and would call me the next day.

No call came in the next day. I called and left a message. On Monday, I called two of their offices and was told I would be contacted the next morning. No call came in. I called again the next day, late in the afternoon, and was told that they were going to "give" me another box of beef.

By this time all I wanted was to get a refund for the meat and return it. This was not an option, according to the person who spoke with me. I told them I didn't want another case of meat, and didn't even have a place to put it, that my freezer was full. She told me to give it away as a Christmas present.

I was also told that "on the back of the brochure" it was clearly stated that I had only three days to complain, and that it had to be in writing (certified letter, I believe she said.) I tried to tell her that I had never seen a brochure (because I had not), but she talked right over the top of me and said she wasn't going to argue with me, that I wasn't going to get my money back. As far as that goes, it would have been nice if someone had told me about the requirement for a letter the first time I called.

With a "guarantee of satisfaction" and an unhappy customer with a lot of unopened meat, I'd think they would want to keep themselves from getting a bad reputation by settling things. But I've since then seen other mentions of the company on the Internet with complaints about bad customer service, so I guess I should have checked first.

Va

Comments

• Ec
      26th of Dec, 2007

I'm sorry, but someone comes around selling crap door-to-door out of the back of their truck and you don't *immediately* know it's a scam, the merchandise is probably stolen, and tell them to get off your property?

• Je
      24th of Jan, 2008

They came to our door yesterday and my mother bought some meat herself. We were also mislead on what we would be getting. I called the company to complain and they were all very rude. They say they have been in business for 26 years but i think its a load of garbage. We are trying to return the meat and get a refund. I have already reported them to the Better Business Bureau. They did use the same line on my mom that it was the end of the day and they just wanted to get home. They are an awful company to do business with. Should have researched them better.

24th of Jan, 2008

I was scammed by these guys in the same way. i ended up eating my purchase too, and i know others who it happened to. the cost per pound thing and the "end of day/have to sell whats on the truck at less than retail" pitch is all crap, DONT FALL FOR IT. i am going to report them to the BBB for our market and to clark howard in atlanta.

Everyone in this market should do the same.

• Su
      29th of Jan, 2008

Same story as the others. Two men came into the nail salon where I was getting my nails done. It was a classic bait and switch sales job. I was shown thick, good looking steaks -- steaks, I was told, that would sell for $7-$8 per pound.

I said I didn't want to buy the original package he was pushing for $140, so he said, "If you'll buy the steaks (pointing in the brochure to the $74.40 bacon-wrapped filets), I'll throw in the chicken and fish." I agreed. The total was $79.98.

When I got home and started taking the meat out of the boxes I was embarrassed for my husband to see what I had gotten for my money. It was NOT what I had been shown. What I got were much smaller, fatty Peppercorn Strip steaks - I don't think the total weight of the 10 steaks was three pounds. I got 9 boneless chicken breasts and a bag of Red Snapper fillets that had so much freezer burn I wouldn't even want to eat them (and the brochure states, "We guarantee our product 100% for tenderness, flavor, and to be free from freezer burn for 12 months." I stopped payment on the check first thing next morningt.

28th of May, 2008

I was researching this company to actually buy some meat as I'm tired of overpriced and inferior grocery store meat. I'm glad I stumbled on this link! If those scam artists to this door to door, it makes you wonder what they'd do IN their store! There are other meat markets in the Cumming area. Thanks for the comments folks!

• St
      18th of Jul, 2008

the cattle exchange approached my wife while I was at work and preasured her in to a purchase of $250.00. The sales person wouldn't leave till the sale was made so she bought the meat using my charge card. As soon as I found out that she had done this I contacted Claude Walker their "executive vice president" and he was worthless. when I tried to go above him his "boss" was even more worthless. I had horrible problems and would not suggest this company to my worst enemy.

• Sy
      24th of Jul, 2008

I was fortunate to not buy anything when the salesman came to my door. I found it strange that they didn't go to my neighbors, but that was none of my concern at the moment. A decent-looking man tried to give me his sales pitch and tried to get me to look at the steaks. I told him that if they have a website, I will go to it and asked for him. He gave me the web address and left.

I wanted to tell him about how inefficient it was for him and his collegue to try to go door-to-door, but that was before I knew who they were. I Googled the company's name and found this complaint on the internet. I'm glad I ran them off and will tell others on how this is a scam.

• Pa
      19th of Aug, 2008

Uh Oh! My 79 and 82 year old parents just paid $220 to these people! The main guy had a story about making a delivery to someone who wasn't there, etc. and he needed to sell the still frozen meat. Guess I'll find out more shortly! Thanks for all the information you all have shared!

• Ra
      27th of Aug, 2008

They are horrible. The same "Claude Walker" VP of the company, like others have mentioned told me that these "scam artists" that come to your door are subcontractors, and The Cattle Exchange has no responsiblity for them. That makes me mad because I did not put my trust in some random guy who pulled into my driveway, I put my trust in the company that is "reputable" and offers 100% guarantee, according to the website!! I have a no soliciting sign up at my house, and have told the company that if they are not at all responsible for these people who claim to work for them, the next time one of them pull into my driveway, I will call the police. I have not seen any of them since. And they did the same sales pitch about a neighbor ordering it and cancelling it and needing it gone because it is Friday, blah blah blah! I am actually going to see about taking it to civil court, not so much about the money (I was out over $500 and only got $100 worth) but out of principle. There are so many complaints, and when a sales person comes to your door, you don't have time to do research with them there. I have not heard of a single complaint that was resolved by them. They need to be put out of business. If anyone else in interested, let me know. We will have a lot more chance of winning with more than one. My email is mykennabearchacha@yahoo.com.

• Pa
      16th of Oct, 2008

I also was ripped off by these thugs. I am fully disabled, and on narcodics for chronic pain. I was lied to about the water added to the meats. and the meat quality was extremly disappointing, for 20.00 a pound. These clowns should be charged with burgerly and arrested. The next time they come to our house, they get to meet Mr. shotgun...

• Ka
      27th of Nov, 2008

We got taken, also. I wish I'd seen this complaint before I bought the meat. He tried to talk me into "package deals" but after I called my husband to come to the store that I work at, he settled for selling one. It was a lot more money than I would have spent at the store and I should have known it was a rip-off when he couldn't produce the name of a neighbor who had purchased. Then he tried to get me to pay in cash. When I told him it was a check or nothing he then tried to have me sign the check and put in the amount but leave the payable line blank. I told him no way and asked for his name. I even made him produce a driver's license so I could write down his information and his telephone number. He wasted no time in cashing my check at my bank on his way out of town.

I called him a few days ago to tell him that I was not impressed with the meat and wanted a refund on the unused portions. I was told, also, that I only had three days to change my mind and that the 12 month no freezer burn guarantee was only good if we hadn't eaten any of it. When I said to him, "in other words you ripped us off" he basically told me that it was the way they were told to do business and hung up on me. Any attempt to contact him since then has been met with voice mail which will not let me leave a message.

I have reported this company to the Arkansas Attorney General and my boss has since put up a no soliciting sign up at door of the business. Again, I should have known better but I guess I'm still naive enough to believe that there are still good reputable people out there. I hope other people find this complaint website and read about this company before they buy. Wish I had!

11th of Dec, 2008

I have been on both side of this VERY shady company!!!

About 5 yrs or so ago I was convinced to buy some of there products from one of their door-to-door sales person. I paid approx. $300 dollars for their products. The meat tasted good but I felt I wasted a good bit of hard-working money for the meat. I never saw them again and went back to my standards not to buy from door-to-door salesmen.

I recently moved from Savannah, GA to Atlanta, GA. I work with the colleges and Art Groups around Atlanta, since they are on breaks for about a month because of the holidays I needed a "hold off for a month job". I spotted an ad on Craigslist.com asking for drivers that could make up to 380-1000 dollars a week. I applied. It was the Cattle Exchange. I went to their pathetic training to find out that the products I bought 5yrs ago for $300 was really worth at cost for $120 the salesmen got to pocket the remainer of what they make which in that case would be $180. In the training I learnt absolutely nothing except how to "con" or in their words "hustle" folks into taking the product. The trainer constantly degraded women and told of story of how he sold the meat and got the hell out of town. He spoke of how at the company you could smoke as much drugs, do as much drugs, drink as much as you like at work or on your own time. I listen and just wanted to get through it and go on the road and try and sell their product the honest way and get the hell out of there in a month. After a week of putting up with their very terrible company I honestly decided that this is not for me and should not be for anyone.
    It is also pathetic that they mentioned time and time again of how they have the Clayton County Police Dept wrapped around their fingers. They were very proud of that. They Clayton County Police Department Chief of Police hangs out at their so called HQ very often and they have the Police Dept working for them in the evenings.
    They also encourages their so call drivers to claim they made no money on their sale to avoid filing taxes. (and we wonder why our economy is doing poorly) It is because of companies like this.
    The owner Harry Pearden has a "Boss Hog" company. He pays the cops and I guess Clayton County to let him deal as he likes in the county and his "workers" work like "get want I can, can what I get, and screw everyone else" theory.
    I lefted today 11DEC, cuz my standards have not reached that low yet to deal with those people or company. I am going to write as much as can to others newspapers, politicians, and anywhere else possible to let them know that this company is an embarrassment to the US.
    I must say that the salemen there are really just trying to make a honest day work, but the company is very, very pathetic.
    Anyone need me for more insight on my experience both as a purchaser or worker of this company they please contact me at laughing420@hotmail.com. Beware that I am very bias at this point and see nothing good of this company.

James Holmes

• Bl
      4th of Jan, 2009

I myself, am like James Holmes above. In early November I was job hunting on Craigslist and saw the listing for "delivery driver/sales 500+ a week". So I went to apply, and after filling out an application I was told to show up for an orientation. When I asked what was this place, I was told "We sell meat man, this place is just a front. Check it out tomorrow". I came for the orientation, was pretty much annoyed that I had gotten myself into a soliciting job and also was annoyed that they lied about the salary.

Well, I got along with the others but just like James said, it was disgusting. One thing that it seems James didn't say was their use of religion as a means to empower the employees. As in they literally use religion in a brainwashing way to keep the workers going. I stuck around for two days to see what the deal was. It was a big con job and truthfully something I'm embarrassed to have been around.

If one of these guys approaches you, run don't walk away. You will get ripped off. You will not ever get any satisfaction from the product. You will be dealing with organized crime.

If you ever see their job listings, don't waste your time. You wont make any money. They literally repeat the hiring process every few days.

• Mi
      19th of Feb, 2009

They also harbor fugitives and help them get out of the stste

• Li
      19th of Feb, 2009

I love the meat just bought it again and I wanted to leave a positive comment!
    The meat is great and I have always had a great experience with it!

• Ou
      3rd of Mar, 2009

i used to work for lagrange cattle exchange trust me meat is good but its tha biggest rip off ever company only pays 50 bucks a case we have to turn in 108 u do the math but i quit today b4 i seen this site and boy im glade i did

13th of Mar, 2009

do you know what it sounds like to me, all you complaining are just straight up dumbasses, and in reality you scammed yourself. No one told you to buy the meat.

• Er
      24th of Mar, 2009

Hey guys, Today is March 24th 2009 and I went to the company for a job this morning and the place is like a closet, also the walls had cracks and dirty paint every where. the lady behind the desk tried to get me to hand her my drivers license and to full out some paper work. I looked at her and said you must be crazy and stormed out of there. I found the job on craigslist, be very careful with that site.

• Ha
      17th of Jun, 2009

i bought from this company several weeks ago, the meat was great and i must say my salesman was honest polite and helpful. i will buy from them in the future.

• Ha
      17th of Jun, 2009

i often come to this board since i buy from the cattle exchange a lot, i have never posted but i feel it is time i do so, i have been buying from this company for about 2 years now, durning this time i have had a problem with the product only once which was corrected right away, i must say i have never had a problem with my salesman Harold, he know i buy about every 2 months so he always call to make sure i'm ready for delivery. i don't know why there are so many negative comments, people like myself who is happy never bother to post therefore, it seems the company is bad because if you're not happy those are the ones that come to the board, i will only suggest that you try the product and company for youself, i think you will be suprised. it's not what it made out to be on this complaint board.