Ativa / Horrible shredder

United States Review updated:
I bought an ativa from office depot too that has quit after just 9 months!! I oiled it every month and routinely cleaned out paper from the sides of the grinders where things were apt to get caught and still it broke! In response to people who have posted comments like "buy the warranty that's what its for" i disagree. The rules should be on the store to not sell such crap that breaks down.
Ch

Comments

Va
  7th of Aug, 2008

Ativa - No customer service there or standing behind their products!
Ativa
ativa.com

I got a defective Ativa digital picture frame with remote from Office Depot for Christmas. I tried numerous times to exchange it at Office Depot, but they never had any. I called Ativa's customer service number since their website doesn't even list picture frames, and was told by Cynthia there that there is no warranty on this product. She said either exchange it or get a refund from Office Depot. They can't do anything about it!!! No customer service there or standing behind their products!
Al
  16th of Jan, 2009
One year old Ativa DX180d shredder from Office Depot, a heavy duty model, failed after relatively light use. The motor could be heard running but the gears would not engage. Turned out one out of 5 gears was plastic and was stripped, the rest were made of out of hard metal. Looks like something that was designed to fail. Called the company and was told that no replacement parts were available for any of their shredders. Looked online where a lot of people are having similar issues. Interesting. Looks like a scam.
Ja
  4th of Feb, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I have the exact same thing on my shredder. The Plastic gear (the main one) is stripped. Jaime
Jo
  19th of Feb, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I purchase a ativa 16 gb storage device from office depot it did not work at all from the start. i can only exchange and the second time it work once this poduct need to be recalled. and ativa need to be check
Ro
  20th of Feb, 2009
I have the same problem with my Ativa SX180Du shredder. The plastic gear has several teeth striped out. It seems that there is no replacement. It would seem reasonable for Office Depot/Ativa to offer a replacement at the very least to electronics repairs shops so as to be able to repair the machines. Considering the price I paid and the fact that the product was not ussed all that much I am to say the least most unsatisfied. I will be taking my business to Staples or Office Max.
Ms
  13th of Mar, 2009
Have an Ativa DQ120D. It's crap and I only use it for residential shredding of personal information that I don't want in the trash. It gathers paper in the top of the shredder and I have to dig it out constantly. The two shredding lines in the middle of the machine were damaged due to this problem and now they only mash the paper, don't shred it. It's horrible. I oiled it and cleaned it and followed all of the directions for maintenance and I NEVER put more than about 5 sheets of paper in it. DON'T BUY THEIR PRODUCTS! HORRIBLE!!
Gu
  22nd of Sep, 2011
Ativa shredder LD100 is a garbage. Dont buy this product and is practicly not supported. The excuse they will provide you that is your fault because you didn't lubricate the equipment. I was supprice about the office depot garbage businness. I used this equipment for personal use betwwen 15 to 20 invoices per week and only worked 6 month.
Ab
  4th of Sep, 2015
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
My Ativa LD100 will not stop running. After paper/sheet feed is empty the motor continues to run. Have to slide master switch to 'off' position.

Ativa Logo Ativa