At The Beach Tanning / Bad Cancellation Policy

1 Tulsa, OK, United States Review updated:

As many complaints as I have read about At the Beach Tanning, I can tell you it's all true. The salesperson tells you whatever they need to tell you to get you to sign up. They don't go into detail about the horrible and terribly expensive cancellation policy. They just say you can cancel at any time. The "fine print" is the whole contract and, yes, as an educated person, I should have read it. Being that is was for a tanning package, I didn't think I would have to worry about such ridiculous rules.

Good luck calling corporate. I left 16 messages over a 3 month span. Still have never gotten a call back for that particular question. I stayed on hold 1 hour and 23 minutes to talk to a person about cancelling the other day. Every few minutes, I would hear a recording, "average wait time is 1 minute." And I found out that the option I was told I had to sell my contract to someone else was not valid. Lied to again. What a feeling.

While the facilities are usually clean and the equipment is good, the employees are generally rude. There are a few nice ones, but most have a prissy attitude. 25% of the time I go in one of their computers doesn't work or the girl doesn't know how to use it. 20% of the time I get to the room and the bed is dirty or there is no towel. 50% of my visits the Mystic Tan is broken and I can't use it. Most of the time their is no towel, hair nets or barrier cream. Drying off with my work clothes is so much fun. Oh, I can upgrade for additional cost and extend my contract for another 2 years if I want to use the Versa. ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

I am posting this complaint in every forum, outlet, backboard, workplace break area of every friend and family member I have, and filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Do yourself a favor ladies, don't sign up for At the Beach Tanning and Fitness.

Je

Comments

• Ha
      23rd of Mar, 2010

I have had very similar problems with At The Beach. I learned my lesson, and I will always check with the Better Business Bureau before signing any contract with any company. If I would have checked before signing, I would have known that At The Beach has an F rating with the BBB. I also found out that At The Beach, Inc. has more consumer complaints than ANY other company in the BBB's system.

The complaints I have against the company are numerous, but I'll tell you about the most outrageous one. I purchased Natural Bronzer lotion from ATB with much hesitation because I have very sensitive skin. I was assured by the sales person that I could return the product to the manufacturer if I wasn't satisfied. I had a bad reaction to the lotion, and after numerous failed attempts at trying to get the manufacturer's contact information from the corporate office, I was finally told that the manufacturer has a strict no return policy.

After several more calls to the corporate office, they decided to give me $60 in Bonus Bucks (which of course, I would never use). However, while following up on my BBB case, I saw a comment from At The Beach that I had used $58.14 of my Bonus Bucks to purchase more lotion - which I never did. When I called corporate advise them that someone had "stolen" my Bonus Bucks, I was told that I needed to proof that I didn't make the purchase. After having my employer write a letter verifying that I was at work during the time the fraudulent purchase was made, At The Beach is still unwilling to admit that someone stole from my account. Basically, it's not their problem. I let every person I meet know not to do business with At The Beach. Today I was successful in preventing a new customer from signing a contract. At least I have found a little satisfaction. Dealing with At The Beach, I truly understand why people "go postal". Good thing I'll never own a gun.

• Je
      28th of Apr, 2011

I strongly agree !!! I have also been a VICTIM of ATB and now I have to waste my 'precious' time to prove that I have been (and continue to be) wrongfully charged for absolutely nothing!! My 18 yr/old son and his friend, each printed out a 'one free week of tanning coupon' which was never honored. The so called Manager (her first day on the job . . . red flag--major turn-overs) wanted $83.00 from both boys. I consulted privately with my son and his friend, and together we took a second look at the coupon. No where on the coupon did it indicate that there would be an additional charge!

What a shame for a company to have to deceive & cheat their way to the top . . . preying on the young & innocent !!! They need to do a disappearing act !!!

• Ji
      22nd of Apr, 2012

I just called within the 24 hour window to cancel and still have to send a certified letter to them today to make it happen. All of their business practices are silly and I will send in my letter, tell everyone I know, and drive out of my way for a tanning salon. All I wanted to do was change to a 6 month plan.

Do not do business with these people. Tell anyone that is looking for a tanning salon to go elsewhere. I was a member at Planet Beach. They have a great business model and sensible rules. I just wanted a Versa spray tan that I can get elsewhere - it is not exclusive to At the Beach.

• Th
      1st of Jun, 2014

First comment about " At Beach Tanning Salon"! I'm promoting and protesting against this establishment in Tulsa Oklahoma and yes (both stores here in Tulsa Oklahoma). I went to get a tan about 7:35 pm. The counter girl stated she was going to be closing at 8:00pm. All of a sudden behind me there was a guy leaning against the wall yells yes" I said "YELL" Were closing so you just need to go home" I quickly turned around and ask "who are you" ; he did not give his name. I asked the counter girl who is he? The counter girl stated " That is my boyfriend; I said "does he work here" ; She said, no but we are closing in 12 minutes. The boyfriend states again " Well she is closing so you should just go home". I asked for the manager's name, corporate phone number and her boyfriend name. I was so upset. I walked out after feeling threaten by a non employee. The counter girl ran to my car and said ms please don't tell corporate I will let you tan my boy friend shouldn't have said that. He aggressively comes to the car with his hand behind his back as he approaches the car. I look up and he said "ms please don't tell on my girlfriend you can come tan. Secondly, I did not feel comfortable taking off my clothes to tan while a strange male is bossing his girlfriend around in the facility by this time. I'm afraid of what else could possibly happen while I'm naked getting a tan if he is aloud to yell at customers in the manner he spoke to me, what else would she have allowed him to do . I pay over 75.00 dollars a month and to be treated like a dog. I recommend no one I mean no ONE should join this place. If anyone in Tulsa is looking for tanning salon please I recommend 24KT Gold salon or at least somewhere safe you will not feel as though a non employee is yelling at a customer. I will say the BOTTOM LINE I FELT UNCOMFORTABLE TO REMOVE ANY Clothing at this point! I'm posting this on FACEBOOK, YELP, Angie's List, Making everyone know at my job please do not go to this business. I have contacted my mothers who knows a vast amount of people at her job. This is just one of the many other complaints I've experienced with this business. The tanning beds do not work half the time some of the employees are rude. I'm telling anyone who seeking future tans please you are risking your life. I would especially recommend to teenagers who want a tan please be safe going into their business. Once you remove your clothing you have no ideal if an employee's boyfriend ( Who no customer knows if this man has a criminal record or what ) will walk into your private tanning session telling you to get out. I have never had anyone yell at me the way this lady's boyfriend yelled at me"! If my teenage boys had not been with me when this guy ran up to my car with his hand behind his back as if he had a weapon I don't know what I would have done. I have not mention the over charges I had been charged to my account that I over looked in the past. I never posted anything because I tried to not sweat the small stuff. This is a build of my complaints, the issue last night was unbelievable. A friend of mine stated she would show up 45 minutes before the business close and they told her they were closing early so she was not able to tan. There has been many times I go to tan and there's many teenagers hanging out with the employee because apparently these teens were friends of the counter help- these teens did not have an At the Beach uniform t shirt. One day I decided to sit in my car an observe these teens and many were jumping behind the desk, laughing playing grab ### as if this was a high school hang out! !!! No More Money will I give to them! DONE! PLEASE DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE PEOPLE ITS A PLAY GROUND FOR TEENS OR VERY YOUNG ADULTS!