Asurion / unacceptable service

1 Pembroke Pines, FL, United States Review updated:

My ordeal began last Thursday May 22nd when I misplaced my Metro PCS cell phone. I immediately called Metro PCS to have the service temporarily disconnected until I filed an insurance claim. I then was given Asurion's phone number. I called the customer service phone number and described what had happened to my phone and was told that with paying the $80.00 deductible a replacement phone, that would be activated upon arrival, would be sent to my via DHL the following day. I was also told that the Nokia 6265I phone that I had was discontinued and that a similar replacement phone would be sent to me.

On Friday May 23rd respectfully I received my replacement phone. Upon receipt of the phone I read the instructions indicating that the phone needed to be charged, although it seemed as if it had a full charge upon arrival. I waited almost 5 hours and then turned the phone on after installing the battery. Once the phone was turned on I proceeded to dail a number and was given the message that the phone was not authorized for service. I called Asurion back and told them of the problem that I was having. After several failed attempts of entering codes, turning the phone on and off, entering passwords, removing and reinstalling the battery more than enough times I was told to call Metro PCS that there must be a problem due to the fact that I suspended my service when my original phone was lost. I contacted Metro PCS and went through a series of similar tests to no avail. I was told my Metro PCS to call Asurion back and let them know that I must have received a defective replacement phone. I called Asurion and indicated what I was told by Metro PCS and Asurion indicated that there were no supervisors available and that they would put a technical support call in and that the problem with the phone should be resolved within 24 hours. On Saturday I attempted to call my Metro PCS phone number to see if the problem had been resolved. The call immediately went into my voice mail. I tried turning the phone off and back on and placing a call from the phone, I received the same message indicating that the phone was not authorized for service. I called Asurion and they told me that I should contact Metro PCS again to make sure the account was released from suspension. I called Metro PCS and they indicated that there were cell phone tower problems in the area where a reside, but that I should go into a physical Metro PCS store with the phone to try and resolve the issue. Since I was on emergency call at work all weekend I could not go into a store instead I asked my fiance to go and try to resolve the phone issue. My fiance went into the Metro PCS store in Pembroke Pines, Florida and the Assistant Manager attempted to reset the phone several times. She was told by the Assistant Manager that everything that they could do had been done with trying to reset the phone and the phone would still not work. The Assistant Manager told her to contact Asurion back in which she made the call from the Metro PCS store. She was told by a supervisor at Asurion that nothing more could be done until the Corporate offices opened on the next business day. Being a holiday weekend that would be Tuesday May 27th. I indicated that this was unacceptable due to the phone is used for business purposes and I was told that's all that could be done. I also mentioned that the replacement phone that I was sent was not a similar model to the Nokia phone that I had put in a claim for that had costs me almost $280.00 when originally purchased a year ago with Metro PCS. I was told by the Metro PCS store that the replacement phones that Asurion sends out to it's consumers are refurbishes phones and the Motorola phone that I received as a replacement was also a discontinued phone and that it's value was no where close to what I had originally paid for the Nokia phone.

Today is Sunday May 25th, I have been on emergency call the entire weekend and will be through Monday May 26th there is no way for my customers to contact me nor for me to be in contact with them. My finances Mother is in the hospital expecting to have surgery on Tuesday and I will continue to be without a phone during this critical time. I can only comment that I noticed on your main page that Metro PCS is not the only cellular phone company that uses your insurance for their customers. I would seriously be rethinking about taking out insurance on a cell phone when I could just as well walk into the cell phone company and purchase a working replacement phone and not have the troubles that I have had these past days. At this point I will be making a decision by Tuesday if I will be sending Asurion back the replacement cell phone for a credit of $80.00 and walking into a store and purchasing a new cell phone along with canceling my cell phone insurance plan or just change cell phone providers all together. I refuse to believe that this is the type of service that an insurance company provides to it's consumers.

Va

Comments

• Sp
      11th of Jun, 2008

I call sprint this pass Monday 6/9/08 to report my Nextel i880 loss and i had to deal with Insurance Asurion this would be the 2nd time in my life... Everything went smooth and they said i had to pay a $50 deductible and that my phone would be ship within no more than 4 days... Okay is still Wednesday and i had this feeling that something was wrong! The first time i dealt with Asurion was last year in August and they made a big deal out of it, saying i had to sign a notarice an affidavit send them a photo copy id and the most recent bill! i was out of town and i had no bill with me... so i lost my $499.00 phone back then and i had to cancel my service with sprint/nextel... Here i am almost heading to work and was wondering how difficult they made it for me back then, i made a call right now to try and see if they could give me the tracking number of my phone and GUESS WHAT IT HASNT BEEN SHIPPED YET... Like im so pist cause this means ill probably be without a phone till next week. Asurion needs to get replace or we consumers should have diferent options when it comes to selecting insurance to our phones... I DONT TRUST ASURION NEXT TIME I RATHER LOOK FOR MY PHONE ON EBAY AND PAY THAT DEDUCTIBLE AND THE MONTHLY FEES TOWARDS THAT NEW PHONE.

• Ce
      15th of Jul, 2008

Whenever you are getting insurance from any cell phone company, their policies are not the same as the insurance company. A lot of cell services use Asurion, I have noticed. Mine does as well. When I purchased my phone from the store in 2002, I asked for full insurance, which covers Lost, Stolen, irreparably damaged, & (surprisingly) mechanism issues for replacement; also Equipment Service & Repair plus Door-to-Door service from the manufacturer of the phone (w/1-year warranty from phone's for minor damage. I was given Asurion's number upon signing contract. When I got home, I called the cell phone company immediately. I asked what price plan I was on, if I had insurance & to verify the insurance company/number. Then I called Asurion & asked for a copy of their policies & procedures for replacing a phone. They sent it to my email & I printed it out. To this day, I still have the original boxes my phones came in (I had to swap 3 phones then to a new model [all free to me from the store] w/i 3 months because phones got too hot), the original receipts (including exchanges), the service agreement (that came w/original phone & recent purchase 2008), contract (1st [02-04] & 2nd [08-10] 2-year contracts) & insurance policy. Thing is, I never have used my insurance to replace my phones, am being very careful w/current phone (because of the way it flips), I understand the concept of paying insurance to get the replacement & know better to contact the Asurion before I put a temporary replacement phone on the account. Asurion checks to see what phone you are using before they honor your claim. If they see you are using a Motorola, but the phone you were claiming was a Palm, you replacement will be a Motorola. Keep informed, people.

24th of May, 2009

asking if you recieve the other phone from angelbert angeles, coz asurion send me two of that phone.

24th of May, 2009

i just want to have a comfirmation that you have been recieve the other phone that i have been return may 20, 2009.

24th of May, 2009

i want to know if you been recieve the other phone i been returning, coz you have sending me two of that phone.

• Ro
      19th of Apr, 2012

Asurion is the worst company I have ever had dealings with. I recently had a ordeal with them for a rebate never got the rebate of $400. They claimed they did not recieve reciept but I had conformation of where they recieved several I sent that day. They would not replace the phone I had and tried to make me except a down grade phone. They would not give me a upgrade so I have to except a down grade. Then I bought another Idenical phone and never recieved my rebate. Just got screwed out of my $400.