AstroKitty / Rude owner sold a broken action figure

1 15 E 7th StLawrence, KS, United States Review updated:

I purchased an action figure from the AstroKitty booth at a local comic book convention. The owner of AstroKitty was working the booth that day and he did not give me a receipt. When I got home (I live in another town), I opened the package and the action figure's hand fell off. It was not attached at all. I thought it was possible that the store did not know it was damaged, so I called to see if they had another of the same figure that I could exchange it for. I talked to the store owner and he become immediately defensive. He said that the action figure was on sale and maybe that was the reason it's hand fell off. I said that it was not marked as defective and he turned around and said that he could not possibly have known that it was broken. He did offer store credit, but refused a refund (this figure was the only one I wanted), then ...he hung up on me! My friends and I will never shop at AstroKitty again.

Va

Comments

• Er
      2nd of Jun, 2008

I highly doubt that he intended to sell you a broken figure.
    If it was on sale and you got it for a cheaper price, it was probably an "all sales are final" sort of thing. I mean, if you get a good deal on something, you sort of take on the responsibility of your purchase (especially at Comic Cons where people are trying to liquidate merch that doesn't sell as well in the store).

I think he was more than helpful by offering you store credit because most places would have said "all sales are final" and that would have been that.

Did he hang up on you because you wouldn't take the store credit and/or "no" for an answer? I know many people who shop at Astrokitty and it is a fine establishment with good customer service. But really, dealing with customers who just don't "get it" can be frustrating. That sounds like what happened here.

Sorry your figure is broken, but that's the risk you run when you don't want to pay full price for something. (Sometimes you DO get what you pay for.)

• Bo
      5th of Jun, 2008

An action figure is a delicate product. Sometimes they are broken while they are still packaged, sometimes they can break while playing with them. You're lucky you got offered store credit. I mean, you're not dealing with Wal-Mart here, where you can just get your money back for any reason. I would've taken up the offer for store credit, any got something else. I'm sure they probably have something similar or better than what you got.

Also, if you're just going to put the figure on display, why not use some super glue to fix it up? If it's going to be played with, you can still use super glue, but the articulation might be compromised.