Assuranct Solutions / bad service

1 Omaha, NE, United States Review updated:

This is the second warranty I purchased from Assurant for a computer. The first time they were just rude but this time they'd out done themselves with incompetence. In June I started getting a message "your windows vista product key is invalid" and so Assurant had me keep restoring my computer. This didn't help so they had me call HP and pay for restore disks. Restored again, but still got the error message 2 weeks later. My computer also overheated all the time. Finally they agreed at the end of July to send me a box and ship the computer to them for repair. It went to their vendor in Dallas. I got it back and there was no note or indication of what had been repaired.
Guess what - 2 weeks later, the same error message! After about 3 hours of phone calls the Assurance tech finally figured out that the vendor used a generic copy of WIndow Vista even though I sent my recovery disks along to them as requested. I restored AGAIN!
Every time I restore, I have to re add my music, documents and pictures. Annoying!
Then yesterday I got a message that my hard drive is full! Calling Assurant, they realized that I had a 160GB hard drive when I sent the computer for repair but now I only have a 32GB one. How could that even happen?
Assurant tells me I have to sent the computer back AGAIN so this vendor who 1) didn't tell me what they fixed 2) used a generic copy of WIndows Vista instead of the real restore copies and 3) put in a tiny hard drive and kept my big one!
I refused to do this and they said then they won't do anything else and I'm being unreasonable. I have talked with 3 people and even spoken with a manager.
DO NOT BUY AN ASSURANT SOLUTIONS Warranty, it's Worthless!

Ja

Comments

• Pf
      22nd of Aug, 2009

Sounds like you are the victim of a microsoft update to the WGA program that has been sent out through Microsoft updates. I have had to deal with this 4 times in the last few months on different computers. I used to be an active computer technician but only repair for myself and few people I know. Seems Microsoft is trying to make sure people update to windows 7 soon as its available. You have to reinstall the OS then set auto updates to notify but don't download or install until you ck the updates. when you see the update icon you have to right click on it and select the updates you want to install. Stop the computer from installing the WGA update. This will solve the problem. Seems to be a false positive for pirated OS. You also have to make sure no one in the future clicks on install without checking what microsoft is installing. I fixed mine over 2 months ago and have not had the problem since. Good Luck