Associates in Opthalmology - Dr. Daniel Zimmer / Don't Let Dr. Dan Zimmer Near Your Eyes!

1 Pittsburgh, PA, United States Review updated:

I had a nightmare experience at Associates in Opthalmology with Dr. Dan Zimmer. Buyers beware... and do your homework on the subject of laser vision correction. I did not and was never informed by him or his staff that I could end up with impaired vision. It was only portrayed as a miracle where contact lenses were never needed again.

Despite struggling to "take the best guess" at the eye charts, I was consistently marked down as having 20/20 vision. Even his counselors are trained to tell the patient they have good vision when it really is not. It was only when I broke out of there that i discovered the truth. Being nearsighted the same amount as before with induced visual aberrations added to the mix is life altering.

I was never a good candidate for this procedure and not tested properly. Dr. Zimmer is also quite rude and arrogant.

Comments

Da
  15th of Feb, 2010

I saw Daniel "The Arrogant A$$" Zimmer also and he was more interested in his female co-worker than my eyes.

Dr
  27th of Jun, 2011
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

Completely disagree! I had my procedure done by Dr. Zimmer, and he was EXCEPTIONAL! I wasn't about to mess around with my eyes, so I literally did WEEKS of research before selecting an opthamologist for my procedure. According to my internet research, Dr. Zimmer was one of the original pioneers in this field in the US. He'd performed THOUSANDS of procedures, and his statistical results were SIGNIFICANTLY better than national averages.

I'm living proof. My eyesight was so bad that I couldn't even read the big 'E' at the top of the eye chart. My vision was literally off the charts! My own personal optometrist estimated that my vision was around 20/700. The odds of me getting to even 20/40 vision after my procedure were less than 50%. The odds of 20/20 were less than 10%. After my procedure, I had 20/15 vision...in each eye! AMAZING!!!

What impressed me most about Dr. Zimmer was his approach to vision care. Rather than offer just the latest fad, he offered a full menu of vision care options. And the price for each procedure was THE SAME! When I asked about that, he said he intentionally made all his procedures the same price so that his patients wouldn't feel compelled to make decisions based on cost. He wanted each patient to choose the option that was best for her or him, and not choose a less appropriate option based on cheaper cost.

I think it's unfortunate that the author of this comment didn't have a positive outcome, but that's one of the risks. Every medical procedure has its risks no matter how good the doctor is. If you believed that this was your miracle cure without risks, then perhaps you should have taken your own advice and done your own homework. When I went to Dr. Zimmer's information session, he explained ALL of the risks. Even after everyone else had left, he spent an extra 30 mins with just me to answer all of my additional questions.

My experience was COMPLETELY opposite to this comment. I think Dr. Zimmer's results after THOUSANDS of procedures are telling enough. I would definitely recommend (and have) Dr. Zimmer to my friends and family. He's not only an EXCEPTIONAL opthamologist, he's someone that other patients go to for help after their own doctors have made mistakes with their eyes!

Pa
  27th of Jun, 2011
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

If you were "consistently" marked down as having 20/20 vision when you knew you struggled to see, why did you ever go back to this doctor? Or ever let him near you for corrective surgery?

Ke
  19th of Jun, 2012

I researched the procedure of LASIK for quite some time and went for consultations at several centers before I selected Dr. Zimmer to do my procedure. He and his staff were fantastic. They did a comprehensive visual examination, every test taken was explained and every risk was thoroughly explained. There was no "hard sell" to this procedure. Quite the opposite. I was told to call as often as needed if questions arised, the consent form was given to me to review and I found Dr. Zimmer to be understanding, compassionate and kind. He staff was phenomenal and put me at ease through the entire process. I couldn't be happier with the results or the care that I received. LASIK surgery comes with no guarantees just like any surgical procedures. I have recommended Dr. Zimmer to family and friends and they have all had a very positive outcome while feeling that they were provided with an excellent quality of care from this team of professionals.

Ca
  26th of Dec, 2012

Dr. Dan Zimmer did lasik surgery on both my daughters and he did my cataract surgery, I find him very competent and caring and now am recommending him to a relative who lives in Bedford, PA. Its a long trip for her, but I certainly don't have any qualms about recommending him. I thought he was great!

Ci
  23rd of May, 2015

Please do not believe this individual. Dr. Zimmer's practice uses highly sophisticated equipment to determine if someone is a good candidate or not. Additionally, there is extensive paperwork and educational materials provided. Both my husband and I have had excellent results. Also, Dr. Zimmer presented with a friendly and caring "bedside" personality. The cost of the procedure appears to be in direct relationship to the sophisticated equipment for evaluation as well as the surgerical equipment. As a matter of fact, during my procedure another surgeon and his two assistants were observing as they were considering upgrading to the equipment Dr. Zimmer uses.

Wn
  31st of May, 2016

I also disagree. My husband and I both had our vision correction performed by Dr. Zimmer. My PRK was done in 1999 and now in 2016 I still have 20/20 vision from 20/400 before the surgery. My husband's RK was done in 2006 or 2007 and he is also still at 20/20. Dr. Zimmer is an excellent practitioner and I never hesitate to recommend him.