Associated Tax Relief Inc. / Failure to live up to their promises!

1 226 South La Doux Road 90211Beverly Hills, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-560-2966

I am a disabled diabetic, heart patient who went to this company in good faith to help me with my IRS taxes... was promised to get our amount due down to about a $1000 due to my circumstances from their spokes person Collie Wainer... was charged $2900 and was paid in full by credit card to them... Collie Wainer told us not to worry about anything, that they would stand before the IRS for us... that was 2 years ago in April of 2006... they have been very difficult to deal with... we always had to call them asking about progress... they got the amount down a little but nothing like we were promised, barely over what we paid them...

We are very disappointed and dissatisfied with their work... Buyer beware!

Comments

• Co
      26th of Mar, 2008

what a joke the complainer admits we reduced there debt by more than they paid us. They were hiding assets are not as destitute as the claim.

• Br
      28th of Apr, 2008

I have been a client for over a year and can not get Linda Wilson to call me back. Getting a hold of the clerk that knows nothing about my case is very easy but when I leave messages for the actual person handling my account I get no response. Consider yourself lucky that they have actual worked on your behalf.

• Ra
      9th of May, 2008

Associated Tax Relief is a completely bogus RIPP OFF. If it sounds to good to be true it usually is. They have been under investigation by the Feds for some time. Anyone who pays this company one dime is throwing it away !

• Ju
      3rd of Jul, 2008

Associated tax relief has been rated F, a BIG F rating, by the BBB Better Business Bureau for quite some time now.

Locate a company that is rated A or better at the BBB website.

• Ro
      9th of Jul, 2008

I have had to find new representation for my case because Associated Tax Relief was so deceptive. They are only after your money -- as that was the only thing they ever called asking for more of. My problem was not an easy one to solve, I owe money and I want someone to work on my behalf to help put an end to my tax nightmare. I did not even mind owing them more money, but I wanted some assurances they were actually working and the only person who would ever talk to me sounded like they were selling cell phone packages.

I am angry with myself for not checking their track record and BBB rating prior to obtaining their services. There are reputable firms out there --- find one who represents themselves in a professional manner. Talk to them. Meet with them in person if you can (I found one who has someone in my area).

I lost a significant amount of money to Associated Tax because of my gullible behavior, and they prey on that because people with tax problems want the nightmare to be over. I always assume everyone is who they say they are -- but in this world, we only hurt ourselves by these assumptions. It won't happen to me again. Be savvy, -- there are people who can help you solve your problem. Find those people, ask a lot of questions and remember ... you are the customer. Don't let them treat you like you don't know anything and if someone gets defensive because you actually want service -- cut your losses and move on.

23rd of Jul, 2008

Associated tax relief will cause you more grief than relief.Linda wilson will not return my phone calls, e-mails, or certified letters. They filed back taxes for me and is now avoiding me while the IRS is threatening me. PLEASE DO NOT THROW AWAY YOUR MONEY BY HIRING THIS FIRM. THEY HAVE NOT NEGOTIATED WITH THE IRS IN MY BEHALF. I have had to hire another firm. Please do not play RUSSIAN ROULETTE with your life by hiring this firm. If you do not have have highblood pressure or mental illness now, you will become deathly ill if you hire Associated TAX RELIEF. I STILL HAVE A TAX LIEN ON MY CREDIT AND LOTS OF PENALITIES AND FINES AND OUT OF $3200.00 CASH.

• Le
      12th of Sep, 2008

I contacted them about helping me. Brifly discussed my case with Mark Klein. They said they could settle my 29K for 3.9K and the fee would be $3900.00. They sent me a bunch of paperwork to sign including a release to deduct the $3900 fee. I didn't have that much available but told them I would work on it. I got a call everyday sometimes twice wanting me to call them with my money status. So to save some time and pain I faxed the following to them.

Dear Associated Tax Relief / Mark Klein

I have received the paperwork faxed to me signed and filled out as much as I can at this point and am ready to send in.

I will not be sending the Checking Account Authorization form at this time because I have insufficient funds to cover the $3900 charges. I do not have a credit card or any other form of payment at this time that can approach the required costs. In fact if I had that much I probably would have already sent it to the IRS as a good faith payment instead of the $200 I sent last month till I could get this mess straightened out. I am however working to get a personal loan and / or sale of some stocks that I have that could help offset these costs. This may take up to a week to secure.

My only concern about this is being nickel and dimed to death over “unforeseen” or “additional” charges including service charges etc. Before I move forward on this or turn over any money or information, I will need verification, “In writing on company letter head” explaining and spelling out the charges and costs. If the $3900 is only the beginning of the costs, I need to know this up front because additional expenses will cause major problems for me and if the costs are much more than the $3900 I may have to pass on your services all together.

I have never recieved a call or any other info. seems i called there bluff.
    Don't fall for it. i'm glad i didn't.

• Ju
      14th of Sep, 2008

To all Buyers BEWARE RUN WHILE YOU CAN I have been dealing with ATR since May of 2007 I was representing my husband and trying to get relief on his tax debt prior to our marriage so I would not be responsible for his debt that was created prior to our relationship. Throughout 2007 contact was extremely difficult even being aware of the time difference my spokeperson was not available leaving me talking to rude receptionists and useless voice mails. My persistent did prevail and finally made contact with a Harry Slotow who was responsible for my case. Through Aug 2007 and November 2007 i believed progress was being made. All money due to ATR was given and fees for the IRS and the offer in compromise was paid. This money was saved from our wedding fund and wedding gifts. Not an easy task but as many of you agree the communication was good when they were trying to get the payments for their services. On several occasions even when i thought i was recieving the services promised i could not reach Mr Slotow or his "assistant" which was frustrating, This would go on for months then out of the blue they would call and reassure me all was good no news was good news. In November of 2007 i received a letter from the IRS with my OIC attached saying it was not approved but needed to be edited. a signature was missing and a section was not complete we had 30 days to fix the errors and return it. I immediately contacted ATR and they supposedly would handle it. Well i thought i was making progress time went on and i began contacting them again in Jan 2008 no return calls made. Finally in April of 2008 i received a call from them at this point i was furious. I had already contacted the IRS and was aware that my husbands OIC was denied, it was never returned back in november. ATR had no idea. Again they tried to persuade me to trust them and they would make better. In may late june a new representative started contacting me her name is Stephanie i told her of my experience and had no faith in them she promised me it would be different. I gave her several tasks to prove that ATR was not a scam to change my mind. I had already invested so much time and money i was not sure if pulling out would be so appropriate. Well Stephanie failed to its now September and when i call ATR a automated voice picks up that tells me they may have shut down services. My advice to all who need this service check with the better business bureau and check the companys rep before signing anything or giving any money.over the past 3 months i have been talking to the IRS i gained Power of Attornery from my husband that allows me to discuss his case with the IRS and submitted his OIC 2 days ago.
    with the help of the internet www.irs.com and using their forms and publications i was able to complete and submit and offer in compromise. Its normal to get overwhelmed with a bunch of forms and think we need to hire a specialist for this but i am proof that it is plausible. I filled out the forms, discussed certain sections with the IRS to confirm my answers to questions, got my husbands account out of collections, stopped liens that were out there and put a hold on his account. Nobody paid me thousands of dollars to do this. Do not be so overwhelmed and pay out so much money for something you can do yourself. Please take my story and share it we can take a negative and turn it into a positive.

• Da
      16th of Sep, 2008

I have been dealing with ATR for well over a year...they promise the world and deliver nothing...they filed my taxes for 2006, and did so incorrectly, and it was I who aught the error...Bic the office manager never calls you back for follow-up...as a matter of fact no one calls you back, all you get is answering machines...linda wilson not sure if she is a real CPA, she is the one who filed my taxes incorrectly...and she never ever calls you back...supposedly she is on the phone with the IRS...yea right...the only good news is i didnt pay the full amount, until they produced...though we did loose $2500 or so to them...we are going to look into filing complaints with the AICPA and BAR in California against Linda Wilson and the Attorney who told me to quite my job, it would look better for a settlement...we should get a clase action suite against them...and if e can prove they acted in a criminal manner, we could then go past the corporate vail and get to there personal assets...

• Un
      24th of Sep, 2008

I'm glad i googled there companies name and also the word scam behind it... thank god for the internet.

• Ke
      2nd of Oct, 2008

Associated Tax Relief is a big scam. What a rip off company. Avoid Associated Tax Relief and report them to the BBB and to the CA attorney general for investigation.

• Ke
      11th of Oct, 2008

THEY MADE MY PROBLEM EVEN WORSE THEN BEFORE WITH THE IRS. THEY NEVER RETURNED PHONE CALLS. MAIL BOX WAS ALWAYS FULL, SECRETARY ARE VERY NASTY, IF YOU GET ONE. NOW I'VE HAVE A LEVY ISSUED ON MY BANK ACCOUNTS AND CANT GET ANYONE TOO HELP ME. IM PAYING THEM 500.00 A MONTH SINCE JULY 08. AND NO RESULT BUT LESS MONEY THAT COULD HAVE BEEN PAID TO THE IRS. NOW I HAVE TO FIND A NEW TAX LAWYER AND START ALL OVER AGAIN . BEWARE AND STAY AWAY.

• Ji
      13th of Oct, 2008

I contacted ATR in June of 2006, I havte to say what I paid them for thier services, but it was substantial.
    Since they have gotten the payment infull after several phone calls from ATR about pyments I have heard nothin g from them at all. As several complaints have stated, all I got was voice mail. I finally got a call back and was told not to argue, and just listen. I was shocked to see that one comment said they were talking about going out of business..
    I would be very much in favor of a class action suit if one could be brought against this giant ripoff

• Mi
      27th of Oct, 2008

This copany is a scam. Thanks to them I'm losing my Home and everything I've worked for.

• St
      7th of Nov, 2008

These idiots sent in my form 656-L to the IRS without sending it to me first to fill out and sign and of course, the IRS rejected it. You can't reach anyone by phone, their voice mailboxes are always full and if you do get through, NO ONE CALLS YOU BACK! This is such a scam.

5th of Dec, 2008

Hoping some one will start a class action, so we can act as one. I too went threw this with Linda Wilson, no calls back.

• Gr
      5th of Feb, 2009

Thank-you, Thank-you, Thank-you. My spouse in his desperation to resolve our tax issue contacted this firm for services. Thanks to all of your postings, you enabled me to save him further stress and loss of greatly needed finance. Through these listings, I was able to show him not to take any company at face value. Thanks 5900.00 times.

7th of Mar, 2009

Yes... their are very inaccurate in their approach.. They sent me papers with Typographical errors and miss spelling. What do you think they will do with your tax return. They made several false promises... if you would like to call me, let us get a class action lawsuit. What ever you do dont give them money. There are plenty of companies out there that have the courtesy to return calls. 206 309 0987

7th of Mar, 2009

I feel they were not upfront and honest in the beginning. They made several claims and then denied they made those claims. They have a boiler room that answers the phones. These people will tell you anything.. THe first question they ask is 'How much do you owe." THen try to get you to pay them something... dont do it. Once they ngage you they will not give you the money back... money back once they take it. and they rarely answer the phone. It appears to be a really disorgagnized place. There are plenty of reputable firms out there and they will interview you first to see if you are a candidate for the OIC or the abatement ... ATR does neither.

7th of Mar, 2009

Yes... I have had very similar experiences... I think we should complain to the AICPA and BAR in California. Please call me, we should start a class action law suit... My boyfriend is an investigative reporter for a major CBS affiliate. He said he would be willing to do a story and go to the 3303 Wilshire Blvd.. if that is really where they are located. He said he would have to have enough people to interview... which I think would be easy... Please call me. 206 309 0987. It would be a great story and help a lot of people.