Aspen Dental / charged for services not rendered

1 293 Boston Post RoadOrange, CT, United States Review updated:

I went into Aspen Dental on October 22, 2007 for an exam. After the exam I was told that I needed over $4700 worth of work done. I was also told that my insurance would cover about $2000 of it (which I later discovered they would not). They told me, among other things, that I have a very dangerous gum disease in my mouth which needed to be treated with a series of injections and was very urgent. Because I felt pressured and did not have the money to pay for all of this, they had me apply for credit. They barely asked me for any information for the application. When I was unsure what my take home pay was per month (I work seasonally) the "financial advisor" who was assisting me said something to the effect of "I just need a number to fill in the blank." When I got home, I spoke with my wife about what had happened. I had felt so pressured and nervous about being there by the end I wasn't sure what I had even signed up for. We looked over the paperwork and decided to get a second opinion so the next day we called and cancelled all of my future appointments I had made on the 22nd. We were told we had to pay $65 for a cancer screening that was a left over balance. We did and assumed we were clear of paying any other bills to them. When we received a bill from a credit company stating that we owed them over $2700 we were shocked. Aspen had gotten us approved for $6500 credit and then charged my credit for the work I was scheduled to have but never did! It took them 4 weeks and several phone calls to remedy this and we still have had several problems. When I called to ask them why they had charged me for the work I never had, they said it was to "make sure" I was able to pay for it. Although we believe that our problems with Aspen have been settled, we have found they are full of nothing but surprises. We will continue to discourage everyone we know not to patronize any of their branches. They are nothing but a bunch of scam artists who use your health as a way to empty your pockets and hope that you don't know any better.

Comments

• Mi
      17th of Mar, 2008

For some reason Aspen Dental has been under the impression they can do this. Often they probably do not get paid in a timely fashion for their services once they have rendered them.

HOWEVER, the moment they file for the credit for you, they cannot bill the finance service for your treatment without your permission... and should not.

You can also require they only charge the credit service for the amount done that day and also must provide you with a receipt.

For some reason they push this payment prior to treatment. IT IS WRONG.

I don't think they get that if you push people they will go elsewhere. If you strongarm people enough you won't have enough business to keep your doors open.

I think the method they use in prebilling your credit service, Care Credit, Unicorn or whomever... they feel they don't have to give you a bill reflecting each set of charges and then I truly believe they skim the money.

I NEVER COULD GET A CLEAR CUT BILL OUT OF THE RECEPTIONIST ONCE I PAID UP WITH UNICORN.

NOW, I find they are REBILLING OLD SERVICES... that were already pa id for. Again, to my new dental insurance.

Yet, they don't think they are doing anything wrong.
    It's called padding. It's fraudulent and against the law.

• Al
      10th of Apr, 2009

Aspen Dental is committed to providing all patients with exceptional service and care. Eric, we sincerely apologize if your visit to our office was anything less. We want to do everything we can to address your concerns. I have forwarded your message to a member of our Patient Satisfaction team who will get back to you shortly. Eric, we are committed to your total satisfaction and we look forward resolving any issues quickly and courteously. Thank you for letting Aspen Dental serve you.