Ashley Furniture / company treats their employees with no respect

I am friends with an employee of Ashley furniture and when construction began on our new house, the decision was made to furnish it with new furniture. We wanted to work with your employee (i.e. our friend) so we visited her numerous times, maybe 10, going over color schemes, size issues, motif, etc. She had actually been to our home while it was being constructed so had a definite idea of what and where things could be furnished. She was very instrumental in our continuous patronage of Ashley. Once our decision was made, we arrived at the store not realizing that she had not come in to work due to illness. Being our friend as well as a vested party of our purchasing decision, I called her cell phone to let her know we were looking for her. She said that she would come in to handle our purchase, over $8000 worth of furniture. Also, being our friend, we were well aware of the Ashley commission structure and wanted to work soley with her with this sale so she would get a full credit. While we waited in the store, one particular employee would not take no for an answer even after we told her that we were waiting on our friend to come in. She insisted she was only doing the credit application and our friend would get full credit. It has now come to my attention, my friend did NOT get full credit and had to split it in half. As a business owner, this seemed ludicrous when I found out the way Ashley employees are treated by their management. For close to a year, we had talked about this purchase and now we think our purchase from Ashley was a mistake. If a company treats their own employees with so little respect, I have to ask myself how will they treat me or any other customer??? As far as my wife and I are concerned, we may decide to cancel the order completely and definitely spread the word about how disrespectful Ashley Furniture Homestores are. Repeat customer are always key (remember I am a business owner) but Ashley won't be getting any more of my business.

Comments

• Kh
      21st of Mar, 2008

The furniture of the Asley really sucks . I have bought Asley leather love seat and sofa . it suck s, just after 2 months the leather color faded away and the the leather started scaling . its under warrenty, its been 8 months and i havnt got any solution from them or the store Pilgrim where i bought the sofa . i am going to throw away that sofa . think hundred time not just twice before buying anything of Asley or from Pilgrim

• As
      13th of May, 2010

I work for Ashley in the DC located in the Houston area. To the guy speaking about respect for the employee's, you hit the nail on the head. I work for 8.25 per hour, get a 30 min. lunch, that is stated in our hand book to be for an hour. Can't be one min. late without a write up, and to top it off they are about to move the DC clear across town 32 miles away from where we are located and they are not giving any raises. Oh yeah and they want you so sign an illegal paper stating if you are going to move or not. I HAVE GOT TO FIND ANOTHER COMPANY THAT CARES!!!

• Ex
      30th of Jun, 2010

I worked at the Ashley Furniture run by The Dufresne Group in Edmonton. They recruited me, I took the job and it was a huge mistake. Right on par with jumping out of a plane without a parachute.
    They lie about customer sales, in fact when you are the second associate to help a customer and end up going through a lot of work with them you regularly lose out entirely on the sale. If a customer is simply greeted by a "Sales Professional" that initial contact labels that customer as theirs. Now, the staff regularly "dump" a customer they feel to be free loading and try to grab a promising one. You now have a customer wandering around without assistance and as soon as they choose something and want help try to grab anyone near by. That second associate who does _all_ of the work, save for handing a flyer, is forced to split and on many occasions loses the sale entirely as punishment for stealing that customer.

Yes I know welcome to commission sales, however this is typical management behavior and the behaviors encouraged by their corporate structure. The break structure is common throughout. Not just in the DC location. You are instructed that you're entitled to an hour in breaks but are denied that. It's like going back to grade school, not one minute longer than the 1/2 hour. If you are a non-smoker you are not entitled to taking your 15 minute breaks, they're "not necessary."

After going through their training program you're lead to believe that all of the furniture is manufactured in Wisconsin. It is made in China. All of it which is why the product fails. The fabrics fade, the joints weaken and separate, the finishes scrape off, the leather gets scaly. They even try to market pig leather as cow hide. The poor Muslims out there beware! Even the sales associates are not aware of the leather origins. Management doesn't know!

If it's leather, DON'T SIT/TOUCH!

• Th
      8th of Jul, 2011

I'm a FORMER Ashley employee (delivery driver) in Chattanooga TN who was not only harassed by another employee assigned to my truck, and who was the "pet" of the manger of the warehouse, but also BY THE MANAGER (AN OPENLY RACIST PERSON) himsel[censored] I endures MANY hours of disrespect IN FRONT of customers from this punk HALF my age, and though I observed the company's policies regarding complaints, I was the one FIRED when I wrote to HR and CORPORATE AFTER launching NUMEROUS complaints against the co-worker in question! NOT ONCE did I hear from HR during my process of using the "Chain of Command, until AFTER I was fired and bot the manager {Webb Camola} and the co-worker {Chance Norton} still had jobs!! And even when HR DID decide to respond, it was to inform me that they did not discuss such matters with "Employees, NON-EMPLOYEES, or FORMER employees!!! Well guess what sports fans...THEY'RE TALKING NOW!! I'M SUING!!! AND YEAH...I'M WINNING!!!

22nd of Jul, 2015

Ashley delivering system is no good because is run by a group of thief the they don't care about the customer or the owner op the works 16ours a day and all they do is charge the poor guys the go out and waste there diesel for nothing somebody needs to do something about it claims and claims all day this people are making lots and lots of money please somebody needs to take control

• Oa
      29th of Jul, 2015

I worked at Ashley Furniture and would get great feedback from customers, but that didn't stop consultants and my boss at Ashley from creating a hostile environment, when I was the only woman on the sales floor they would interrupt me and tell me to go clean. I watched everyone above me lie to customers and do really upsetting things. Also the things most stores do to try and get people to buy they did like mark the price up and then say sale ending today only to do the same thing again and again. Every bad thing I have read on here about this company I have seen from working in the store as well, and then some. As for the quality of the furniture customers came in and told me that to beds broke and basically all the things that we were trained to believe we selling quality products, weren't true at all. All the general managers care about is making money and it shows...also there financing is a scam too

• Lo
      14th of Apr, 2016

Ashley is the worst company you can work for ...store managers feel they own you and the world. They pick favorites who they favor working schedules for and love to put employees down in front of new hires. To top it off if you are a women...everything is great until the day you become pregnant. Once the news of your pregnancy are out that's it for you my friend...nothing but harrasment and if your store supervisor is like mine...you can bet your life at work will be a living hell once he/She knows you are expecting. They have no mercy speacialy for pregnant women...once pregnancy news are out HR/supervisors start looking very closely to all the tardiness & absences you may have to write you up and fire you even if in 6years of being employed you've never had a write up Trust me you will once they know matternity leave is coming.
    Due to necessity... Some stay...the pay is decent. That's the only good in Ashley.