ASF Int / billed after contract completed

Fitworks/ASF Int
Like the other complaints on this board, the company continued to withdraw monthly fees from my checking account after my two year contract period which I had contacted them not to automatically renew. When I brought it to their attention I was told the money would not be refunded and then received a paper bill for an additional month's dues. Very shady very poor business management...clearly they do not look to build a business on good practices, good reputation or repeat customers.

D  27th of Mar, 2009 by
Depending on what state you are in (for example in WA state), proper form of notification is return receipt by registered mail to cancel, or to come into the club and cancel and get a receipt. The attorney general would like all health club members to do this, so this in effect is required on all health club contracts. Oral comments or commitments are not valid as stated on most contracts and billing companies like ASF usually direct the member to the club of origin to officially cancel so that they can get a receipt. I am sick and tired of these health club members not reading their contracts and fulfilling their obligations. It seems always that people do not take health club contracts seriously. It is unfair of you to report a company for doing their job and blame them for your problems when you should of read your contract and followed the procedures per your contract. STOP BLAMING OTHER PEOPLE FOR YOUR PROBLEMS AND READ THE FINE PRINT LADY!
D  19th of Aug, 2009 by
I disagree with the response statements. I read my contract but signed a 1 year paid in full agreement and never received a bill or any form of notification when my contract expired. I received my first bill more than 2/3 into the month following the expiration of my contract causing myself to be billed for 2 months following the end of my 1 year original agreement. Based on contract information following the end of a contract the member must give 30 days notificiation before full cancellation to take effect which in essence allows the company to bill you for up to 1 full additional month plus a late fee. When I called to request the 2nd month to be waived as a courtesy due to lack of receipt statement, I was declined and told there was nothing to do and that I should read the contract. I agree that many people do not read the fine print, but I paid my 1 year term in full with an initial payment up front. For someone to be forced to remember the exact day they signed the contract 12 months later without any form of notification that the contract is expiring is in my opinion is unfair and deceptive practices. Even if i had put the date on my calendar as to when I had to respond by for cancellation, due to a promotional 3 month addition to my contract because I paid in full, the date would have been over 14 months later!!