Argosy University / professors

Argosy University is a for profit university that pretends to care about the students. The school is driven by profits and does not care the needs of the studetns. The University hires part time professors that are not familiar with the University and do not know its rules and regulations.

Since I have been at Argosy, I have had four academic adviors (in 15 months) and each one could not meet my needs or expectations. They have set up a system with only consequences for the students and none for the professors. Here is my example, Argosy had a technical problem on 05/11/2009 that shut down their system for two days. I was unable to log into my class and do any of my work. The University acknowledged their mistake and sent an e-mail to all students and staff that all deadlines were extended and no late penalities would in place.

This seemed like a very fair solution and one I could work with. The problem was tha the Professor did decided not to adhere to this policy and reduced my grade by 15%. This mistake hurt my grade and could have impacted my future admission to graduate school. I had to drop out of school with a financial penalty. When I mentioned to my academic advisor the reason I was dropping out she said "that is your problem (about the penalty) and you will have to take it up with financial aid. When I spoke with financial aid they told me it was not thier responsibility ( appeal the drop policy), it was the responisbility of the academic advisor.

The situation was never resolved and I am probably going to need to pay the pentaly and transfer to another University.

DJK

Dj

Comments

9th of Jan, 2010

Here are the biggest and most highly publicized lawsuits against Argosy University:
    Click on the links to view these cases:

and

TEXAS COLLEGE SUED BY STUDENTS FOR MISREPRESENTING THAT IT WOULD BECOME ACCREDITED
    Texas College Sued by Students for Misrepresenting that it would become Accredited
    Dallas, TX - August 7, 2009 - Several students have sued Argosy University, which is an education system of Education Management Corporation (Nasdaq: EDMC) in Dallas County District Court, alleging that the college lied to them in order to get them to enroll in the college. Argosy University is a for-profit college. Plaintiffs were students enrolled in the school's psychology doctoral program at Argosy's Dallas campus. At the time Plaintiffs were considering enrolling in the program, school officials told them that the program was in the process of obtaining crucial accreditation by the American Psychological Association and that the program would become accredited before the students graduated. As a result of these reassurances plaintiffs enrolled in the program at significant personal expense.

The lawsuit alleges that during the students' enrollment in the program the school indicated on numerous occasions that the school was actively pursuing APA accreditation. In reality, the school had not begun to secure accreditation, and the students ultimately graduated from the program without the program ever obtaining APA accreditation. Julie Johnson, plaintiffs' attorney, explains, what sets this case apart are the blatant and repeated lies told by school officials: "When students expressed skepticism about the school's progress toward APA accreditation, the school dismissed these concerns as baseless 'rumors' and perpetuated the sham that it was in the process of pursuing APA accreditation."

The school's repeated lies, claim the plaintiffs, have significantly hindered their ability to repay the exorbitant student loan debt they assumed in order to attend the college. Johnson explains, "even though the state of Texas does not require a degree from an APA-accredited college for individuals to practice as clinical psychologists, the reality is that in this competitive job market, most employers require APA accreditation. Those that are willing to employ clinical psychologists that have graduated from non-APA accredited institutions pay them significantly less than they would pay a clinical psychologist that did graduate from an APA-accredited institution." This, plaintiffs claim, has left them saddled with unserviceable student loan debt and dashed dreams.

Attorney Julie Johnson often represents students in Texas Deceptive Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Act, fraud, and breach of contract cases against proprietary colleges such as Argosy University. To contact Julie Johnson, please call 1-888-416-9572, or send her an email at jjohnson@vanweyjohnson.com. For additional information about Julie Johnson and her other areas of practice, go to http://www.vanweyjohnson.com/.

• Pr
      24th of Feb, 2010

I agree Argosy University scams students. I have a learning disability and I requested assistance one time since I started a Master's programs in forensic psychology and they refused to assist me. My advisor informed me in my last semester of the program I have an option to take a comprehensive final exam or do an internship and when I started my last semester my advisor told me I cannot do an internship and I have to do a comprehensive exam. The comprehensive exam was confusing because they do not give you accurate information so you do not know what to expect. I ended up transferring to another program due to the lack of support from Argosy University. I also recieved an award letter from Argosy stating how much student loan money will be deposited into my school account but the most interesting thing is I did not apply for another student loan because I did not need one. Argosy is a scam.

• Pr
      24th of Feb, 2010

I agree Argosy University is a scam!