Apx Alarm / Untrue Sales Promises

1 UT, United States Review updated:

Beware of strong sales tactics. A salesman came to our door and badgered my wife. Although we had an existing alarm system, he said APX was better because of its wireless phone connection. He wanted her to try it for 3 days to see how she likes it. She told him she had to wait for me to get home to make a decision.

In the meantime, two installers came in and began work. They removed the old system and installed their own. They promised to put the old system back if we didn't like theirs.

When I got home I got to the facts. If we signed a 42 month contract for monitoring, the equipment was free. In Missouri, you have three days to void the contract if you have buyer's remorse or change your mind.

If you have an existing alarm system, you probably have an existing contract. They automatically renew unless you cancel them before the end of the current term. Being in the business, the APX salesman should have known we would have penalties if we switched services in the middle of the term. When we found out, we cancelled the APX contract in the first three days.

APX came and took their equipment but said it was against policy to hook our old system back up. Despite calls to their home office, we got no relief. We are now going to have to pay a $150 service charge to get our old system hooked up.

If you have an existing system don't make the same mistake my wife made.

Although the product is a good one, the fact the company wouldn't do the right thing when their salesman lied to us is all you need to know. Do business with someone else.

Regardless of which company you use, be aware that your contract automatically renews. After your initial term expires, your equipment is paid for. Cancel your contract in advance of its expiration and find a lower cost monitoring service.

Comments

• Wa
      5th of Sep, 2010

APX Is my security provider, and I am a 100% satisfied with their service.
    I do not believe for one moment that half of the negative reviews on here are from real customers os apx, because I would like to believe that if these people have the clear ability to write, they would have enough brain power to read a ONE PAGE contract and decide for themselves if they want the PAID CONTRACTED SERVICE, they have been offered, key word OFFERED.
    I have 7 properties, 4 residential and 3 comercial. ALL have APX alarm systems. I was approached by one of their young men, last year and went through the same thing you all, so bitterly complain about, let me delineate:
    - The salesmen are just that, salesmen, they WILL want you to make a decision on the spot (THEY DO NOT WORK FOR FREE, as I am sure none of you bitter people do). So make up your mind.
    - They are ALWAYS, knowledgeable about the product, and they explain everything included, and I even talked to the company on the phone before they left my house.
    -I find it hard to believe ANYONE CAN BE FORCED to acquire something like that, unless they tie you down and point a gun at you (in which case you should call the police).
    -As it was with me, you all have SEVERAL chances to say no, several, if you get the product is because you want it.
    - The proposal is actually very simple, even kids should understand: They have a service, it costs this much, there's a promotion today, it'll cost this much, for this long a contract. DO YOU WANT IT?
    -They are not a charity, you greedy people, they have top of the line service and gear. PAY FOR IT. OR SAY NO.
    -They don't target seniors, they target anyone that owns a home. (If your senior can't make decisions by themselves, shouldn't be living by themselves, be responsible).
    SUMMARY: I recommend APX, it costs more, yes, it does more, and it's more reliable I give it 4.5/5 stars.
    I worked with sales when I was younger, So I know most these negative reviews are from bitter people who sit in their homes all day waiting for a chance to be mean to someone at the door. Most these young men are honest trying to make money for college, to break the cycle of ignorance so many of us are a part of. Don't ruin their job, BE INFORMED.