Apx Alarm / Misleading to get you stuck in 5 year contract

1 Suisun City, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 707-450-9407

PLEASE do not fall for the same thing i did A nice man came to my door selling an alarm system acting very concerned about my family's well being YEAH RIGHT he first lied and said I was not paying an activation fee I would only be paying $99 for my key remote which I agreed to because i have 2 kids under 2 and it almost impossible to get out of the house in 30 seconds. Come to find out I WAS paying a $99 activation fee so when I found out I called them and considering i was still in my 3 days of being able to cancel they offered me a free month I accepted. Second I specifically told BRAD ROYAL from APX alarm that the whole reason I wanted the alarm was because my 2 year and 6 month old were going to start sleeping in there own bed rooms and I wanted to feel safe having alarms on there windows so i would know in the event something did happen while I was asleep I would be aware I even asked questions about it and they even showed me how to by pass the windows if i ever wanted to leave them open for any reason. Well a week later when i woke up at 3am I forgot about the alarm and opened the window NOTHING happened so I called APX the next morning thinking something was wrong with my system ummm no nothing was wrong there was nothing on any of my windows only my 3 doors in the front of the house (who breaks in your front door?) then they said well you can put sensors on your windows for $60 a window, WHAT?? then to top it all off Brad told me if was happy with them and decided to stay with that company my rates would stay the same for 60 months he did not tell me I HAVE to stay with the company 60 months because I just signed the contract when I informed a few reps including a supervisor they did not care all they said is well you signed the papers. And last but not least when i filed a complaint with BBB i researched them and they have had 938 complaints in the last 36 months when i checked ADT i checked 4 different offices 3 had 0 complaints and 1 had 4 complaints in 36 months. and guess what the BBB still considers them as a satisfactory company, are you serious??? DON'T LET THESE PEOPLE SCAM YOU! this has been the worst 3 weeks of my life.

Comments

• Le
      11th of Jan, 2010

We signed with apx in july of 2008 .This man show up to are door right at 7:30pm. we all sat at our table and my husband read the contract while I asked questions about the company like will our dog make the alarm go off he said no .Then I asked is the alarm easy to use cause we have a preteen and 3 small young children who will need to use the alarm system he again said yes . So when my husband asked about the contract if it was long trem or how many monthes we were told None. That we can cancel any time and that we need to sign this contract so the inst can come and put the alarm system in .
    we agree to that term not knowing the contrect he hand my husband was for 5yr (he took the other form my husband had and said that was his copy ) Then another guy showed up to the house 5min after we signed the papers 9:20pm. Do not leave until 12:45 am.
    That was a friday(july2008, ) in the county of Leavenworth Ks you have to have a perment to have a alarm in you house. So we had to what until monday to turn it on. The first night we turned it on, our dog made it go off when we went out . Sec time it want off for no reason and our teen could not turn it off. So we called to cancel, they told us we had signed a 5 yr contract. We told them no thats not right, we read the contract there was nothing about that in the contract we when we got our copy for sure there was it in small print my husband swear it was not there when he read it friday. They said sorry we can't help what you missed that and then told us we have to pay 3, 485.00 to cancel. Now we have alarm we have not use but twice. Yes they came out tried to fix it but we are to scared to use it . Here the funny part our back door was broken in dec 1 2009 and today is jan 10 2010 we replaced the door but have not replaced the alarm senor .Apx has not called to check on us or anything but they took the money off my card. I would not ever get a alarm system again after this. apx should be a shamed!

• 2k
      23rd of Jan, 2010

My adult brother (44 years old) was persuaded to sign a contract for an APX security system several months ago. After the system was installed he called to tell me he had it put in and how wonderful it was. Since the house he lives in is owned by the family trust, and not by him, he technically had no authority to have the installation performed .. however it was done nonetheless.

Today I received a call from APX about "my account". I explained I had no account with them. After some conversation, it came to light that my brother's security system was set up in my name. This was done because his credit wasn't good and mine was. While my brother forged my signature on the contract, the APX salesman sat there watching him do it. Both of them were totally unethical ... and they are potentially guilty of forgery, fraud & theft.

When this came to light in the conversation with APX this morning, their only response is that they would send documents to my brother to remove my name, and that once both of us signed they would change the account. Sure, good idea. Send the documents on a forged contract to the person who set it up in the first place.

I am in the process of collecting copies of all the documents and will turn everything over to the authorities. I intend to follow through with any civil and criminal options available.

APX sales people will say and do anything to get the sale. BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY!!!

• Ji
      17th of Feb, 2010

while i was on deployment in the gulf, my wife was talked into a contract with apx. i get back to find that she had no clue that it was for 5 yrs, and they installed the system to the front and back doors and not the windows like she originally thought. they did not even ask if she was the owner of the house (which she isn't) before punching a hole through texture plaster walls, which you can not just patch up without being able to see where the hole was unless i pay a professional to fix it. i found that when i had some work done to the electrical system and the power got shut off they didn't even call to find out when there system shut done if every thing is o.k.
    after triing to get out of the contract they said we would have to find some one to take the contract or pay the total for for remainder of the contract. my wife found the next door neibor was looking for an alarm company because she is eldorly and wanted to take it off our hands. apx told us that the niebor did not qualify and if she took over then defaulted we would have to pay off the account in full still. if i win the lotto i'm going to by out as much stock as i can to gain control of apx if possible and fire every one.

• La
      19th of Feb, 2010

I don't doubt that there are salesmen that twist words around to only benefit themselves. These guys are out trying to make a living and probably don't care as much about the company as one would with a desk job.

However, I felt the salesmen that came to our front door were very honest with me. There was nothing in the contract that I felt was lied to me about. I signed a 3 year contract knowing I would be moving within a year. The gentlemen said I would be able to have my system moved for free. Additional moves would be about $100 each.

I don't think 3 days is long enough to test the system and get accustomed to it to determine if it's 100% right for you. Something like 14-30 days would probably help customers feel less trapped.

We've had a sensor fall off our sliding glass door and unfortunately door frames shift in humid Texas, but all of our issues have been quickly resolved.

My husband just got orders to PCS. We would like to keep our system, but unfortunately it isn't allowed in our future housing. I spoke with a gentleman at customer service that said he appreciates my husband's service and hopes we will return once we get more permanent housing. He said there is not a military clause in the contract but they do try to accommodate military families. He said to cancel I would only need to write a letter of cancellation and send a copy of my husband's orders.

18th of Mar, 2010

Have you been looking over ads for mature online dating and are wondering if it is really for you? You may have a few concerns over the value of such a service since some may call this type of dating a 'gimmick.' Well, those that are using the word gimmick to describe this type of dating truly do not know what they are taking about.

There is nothing gimmick oriented about a mature online dating service. It is simply a means of providing niche dating for those that would otherwise be unable to properly find a paramour in a general online dating site.

That is certainly not to infer there is anything wrong with the more generic online dating sites. They cater to a wide range and array of people. This includes people from a great many age ranges.

Once again, while this is not a bad thing per se, those looking to date someone in an older demographic would have to perform a bit more filtering on a generic dating site. With a mature online dating site, such filtering does not become necessary. This makes for an easier dating process that all will be happy to take part in.

So, you could say one of the most tremendous benefits to an online dating site is the ability to meet people in a streamlined manner. This is certainly not a gimmick approach by any stretch of the imagination and should not be looked at as such. And here is some news: the wise do not look at it in such a manner.

Then, there is also the issue of members having a better comfort level signing on with a mature online dating service. When people are entering the dating scene after a possibly long absence, they will assuredly be a little nervous. But, such nervousness will disappear when you are surrounded by others in a similar position. Consider this another great attribute to signing up with a mature dating service.

The convenience of such a site is also quite helpful. These dating sites are literally open 24 hours. That means you will never run out of time on a schedule to make contact with someone. For those that may be a little up in age, such convenience is a help.

And these sites are pretty easy to navigate. You need not be a techie or a computer fan in order to navigate such sites. Anyone can do it with very little introduction. So, consider that another big plus to working with such a site. Work? Actually, it really is not work at all. It is a lot of fun so there is no reason to stress about signing on with such a site.

The costs of these mature online dating sites are relatively minimal. You will not be paying a ton of money to join. This is further proof that such sites are far from gimmick products.

As a single Baby Boomer, the thought of dating again can be a nerve-racking and uncertain one. So how do you know when you're ready to get out there again? Ask yourself these three important questions before you take the plunge.

Have you recovered from the divorce/death/break-up?
    If you're still holding onto your past, you won't be able to be hopeful for the future. And dating without hope is a dead-end road. Divorce or death of a spouse is traumatic experience of which you need time to properly cope and heal. If you're still holding on the feelings of hurt, disappointment and sadness and find difficulty completely the mundane tasks of everyday life, you probably haven't recovered and still need time. But how do you move on? Well, if you can't re-examine your past by yourself and find someway to come to terms with it or let it go, then you might consider therapy. Sometimes a third, un-judgmental party can help guide you through that healing process.

Are you resentful toward the opposite sex?
    What is resentment exactly? Resentment is the feeling of displeasure or indignation at an act, remark or person, which causes feelings of displeasure. If you're resentful towards your last spouse, you won't be open and excepting of the love a new partner can offer. Admitting to yourself that you still harbor some resentment toward your ex or the opposite sex in general is the first step in overcoming it. You'll also want to work on your self-esteem and self-worth and learn to turn inward only for approval and recognition. Tap into your support network, too. They'll help you see when you slip into your resentful attitudes. By freeing yourself of resentment, you'll be more open to dating and the possibility of building a healthy new relationship.

Are you active and engaged?
    Your level of physical activity and engagement in the world that surrounds you is a telltale sign of dating readiness. Why? Because it means that you're present in today and not held back by the past. Aside from that fact that physical activity elevates endorphin levels that increase the feeling of happiness, the pursuit of interests and recreational activities prepares you for connecting with other people, particularly future mates. Imagine going on a date with someone who can't articulate one singe thing that interests them. How could you possible engage in a conversation with such an individual? Doing activities that excite you add value to your life and make you feel good about yourself. And if you don't feel good about yourself, there's a slim chance that someone else will feel good about you.

It is important to work though all of the hang-ups about your past before you move onto the future. By allowing yourself time to recover from divorce or loss, letting go of resentment and engaging in the present, you'll find yourself more than ready to get back into the dating scene and up your chances of finding a love that is both rewarding and true.

18th of Mar, 2010

Have you recovered from the divorce/death/break-up?

Are you resentful toward the opposite sex?

Are you active and engaged?

• Be
      29th of May, 2010

apx alarm they are cons.

28th of Jul, 2010

They put it on my credit report.Now, it has mess up my credit.

• Ge
      31st of Jul, 2010

I just gave one of their salesmen the boot from my front door. This is the second time that they've been to my home within the last two months trying to get me to sign up for their product and advertise their sign on my property. Although this young man had stopped by at a reasonable time of 10 am his predecessor had done so at night while my wife and I were preparing dinner for our family.

The first salesman has the APX salesman M.O., and that's to give you the impression that crime is going up in the neighborhood; that everyone else among you are getting the system installed (if you don't get it then you'll be an easy target for thieves because they won't see the APX sign); and that you've got to commit to the service now before the free offer is gone. Let me state that in all my years as a home owner that I've never had to deal with a door-to-door salesman but after getting scammed years ago in my youth I'm incredibly wary of anything that sounds too good to be true. When dealing with the first salesman I allowed him to say his piece but when he wanted to step inside my home to perform a security assessment I had enough. I emphatically stated that it sounds like a fine product but we're not interested. He was courteous and left to speak with my neighbor.

So when the second salesman, who just left my property, stopped by I did not want my time wasted so I just curtly stated that I already told a previous salesman that we're not interested and never will be. Before closing my door I also clearly stated that his company should remove my address from their list of homes to visit. Just as my door was about to close I hear the salesman call me a [censored]. In his defense I was rude enough to deserve the rebuttal, but as a salesman offering a service that's a comment that you say in your head.

On my street I've noticed one neighbor has their sign up. Most of my neighbors are retirees so I'm afraid that they will easily succumb to the aggressive sales tactics that APX uses. Are they aggressive as in threatening? No. They are aggressive in how they present themselves as clean cut, professional security experts with a practiced sales pitch and wanting to enter your home to provide an assessment. They are aggressive in that they are offering a limited time product with a finite number of customers who'll benefit from the free install.

APX must understand this. If this is a desired product then it is the consumer who will dictate the market as they themselves actively seek out security services.

• Wa
      5th of Sep, 2010

APX Is my security provider, and I am a 100% satisfied with their service.
    I do not believe for one moment that half of the negative reviews on here are from real customers os apx, because I would like to believe that if these people have the clear ability to write, they would have enough brain power to read a ONE PAGE contract and decide for themselves if they want the PAID CONTRACTED SERVICE, they have been offered, key word OFFERED.
    I have 7 properties, 4 residential and 3 comercial. ALL have APX alarm systems. I was approached by one of their young men, last year and went through the same thing you all, so bitterly complain about, let me delineate:
    - The salesmen are just that, salesmen, they WILL want you to make a decision on the spot (THEY DO NOT WORK FOR FREE, as I am sure none of you bitter people do). So make up your mind.
    - They are ALWAYS, knowledgeable about the product, and they explain everything included, and I even talked to the company on the phone before they left my house.
    -I find it hard to believe ANYONE CAN BE FORCED to acquire something like that, unless they tie you down and point a gun at you (in which case you should call the police).
    -As it was with me, you all have SEVERAL chances to say no, several, if you get the product is because you want it.
    - The proposal is actually very simple, even kids should understand: They have a service, it costs this much, there's a promotion today, it'll cost this much, for this long a contract. DO YOU WANT IT?
    -They are not a charity, you greedy people, they have top of the line service and gear. PAY FOR IT. OR SAY NO.
    -They don't target seniors, they target anyone that owns a home. (If your senior can't make decisions by themselves, shouldn't be living by themselves, be responsible).
    SUMMARY: I recommend APX, it costs more, yes, it does more, and it's more reliable I give it 4.5/5 stars.
    I worked with sales when I was younger, So I know most these negative reviews are from bitter people who sit in their homes all day waiting for a chance to be mean to someone at the door. Most these young men are honest trying to make money for college, to break the cycle of ignorance so many of us are a part of. Don't ruin their job, BE INFORMED.

17th of Oct, 2010

YES IF YOU NEED A ALARM SYSTEM CALL ADT . APX WONT LET YOU OUT OF THE CONTRACT UNLESS YOU PAY THE WHOLE THING OFF. HAD ADT BEFORE AND IT WAS JUST FINE, NO COMPLAINTS . I WAS AT HOME ONE DAY WHILE I WAS GOING THROUGH CHEMO AND ON PAIN MEDS, A MAN CAME TO THE DOOR AND CONVINCED ME ADT WAS A INFERIOR ALARM CO. I SHOULDNT HAVE ANSWERED THE DOOR. I MOVED AND ASKED HOW MUCH IT WOULD COST TO CANCEL, EXCPECTING A3 OR 4OO DOLLAR FEE. THEY TOLD ME I WOULD HAVE TO PAY THE REMAINING 3 AND A HALF YEARS ABOUT $1400 . SO I AM STUCK WITH THEM .DONT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU

• X4
      18th of Feb, 2011

I agree! They suckered my81 year old parents who do not speak english and do not read into buying this alarm system. They DID NOT tell them they were signing a 4 year contract!! Now my parents can't afford the system and they are stuck paying it because they state they can't back out because they signed a 4 year contract. This company is nothing but a bunch of crooked individuals robbing people of their money. and like the previous person commented, their are no alarms on the windows and that is where they ususally break into!! We've had alot of robberies here in our town and what good is the alarm if the crooks can still get in?? why are they paying 50.00 per month for??? Someone needs to get a lawyer involved, and I just might do that!!

• Me
      12th of Apr, 2011

My husband and I had a young man knock on our door asking if we would be interested in purchasing an alarm system for our house. Just a month before our house had been broken into so we decided to listen to the speech the man had to give on his product. He told us that we were able to cancel the contract at anytime and that if we decided to move we didn't have to keep paying for the service. My husband just kept asking him all sorts of questions to make sure this was not a scam. We both read over the fine print to the contract and it said nothing about being locked into it for 5 yeards. Both of us felt comfortable enough to get the alarm system. We never had a problem until the day we decided to move. Once our house was sold, I called APX Alarm to cancel our agreement on our old house and would think about getting it in our new house which we decided not to get. The customer service rep told me we have a contract for 5 years and have only completed 3 years. I told them that is not what we signed up for. She told us we either have to get the new owners to take over the remaining 3 years or get a system put in our new house. I proceeded to ask for a manager on duty and she told me that there was not a supervisor anywhere on the premises which is not likely at all when dealing with a company. My husband and I have been fighting with this company for the last year and half and nothing has been resolved. We have contacted the Better Business Bureau and have not heard back from them. We keep getting calls from a collection agency to pay the outstanding balance to APX Alarm.I just can't believe a company can get away with lying to innocent people. PLEASE NEVER SIGN A CONTRACT WITH APX ALARM... THEY WILL RUIN YOUR LIFE!

• X4
      12th of Apr, 2011

THEY CHANGED THIER NAME TO "VIVINT", they probably changed since they are getting so many complaints under the other name, they are what I call, professional crooks...after 3 attempts to get this resolved, each time they said "we'll call you right back", they NEVER did...one guy said that they always call their customers and record it..letting them know it's a 3, 4, 5 year contract..which come to find out is a LIE...they do not record anything...I called the guy who came out and sold the alarm system to my 81 yr old parents, and he states he told them but NO ONE EVER SAID IT WAS A 4 YR CONTRACT...my poor mom just thought she had to pay month by month and could cancel whenever she wanted, THAT IS WHAT SHE WAS TOLD...so I finally agreed after the 5th call to take over HER contract, told the person that I WAS NOT going to sign a new contract but take over my mothers so she would stop stressing about it and I MADE it VERY clear I was not going to sign a new contract but when the guy came out to install, my husband asked him and he called the company AND we were told WE HAD TO SIGN A NEW CONTRACT!!! THEY WERE STILL GOING TO CHARGE MY MOTHER!!! CROOKS CROOKS CROOKS!!! My husband sent him away without installing anything...

• Vi
      12th of May, 2011

This company..OHHH THIS COMPANY. I don't use them, I'm through central security so when I came home yesterday to find my Central Security Sign ripped off its post and there put there needless to say I was quite confused. The company, by the way, is now know as Vivint. I called Vivent trying to figure out what was going on, they asked me if I was formerly an APX customer which I was not and I told the woman I was through Central. She tried to hell and back to find me in theyre system which I was obviously not. She never apologized and just asked me what I wanted to do. At this point I'm steaming mad, I told her since they had time to rip off my sign they needed to find time to come put it back up. She informed me that me getting irritated with her would annoy her...okay, Its not like I'm having to take time to deal with these idiots when I have a home and children to care for. After informing her that what they did was illegal her tone changed, she told me someone would be out that week to fix my sign, I don't believe her in the least but I got my point across. I called my security company this morning to inform them and they too were just as upset as I am (reminds me why I chose a local company! VERY understanding and concerned) They informed me APX had changed their name to Vivint because they had such a bad reputation, I now believe them, dealing with them was a terrible experience and they obviously have NO morals. I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy and pray no one else is having to deal with their ruthless shinanigans. My company is in the process of contacting theirs and I am currently waiting for a call back, I hope they rip someone a new one over there and judging by the irritation and anger in my reps voice, it will most definitely happen.

• Ly
      31st of May, 2011

I too was scammed by Apx now Vivint. First the fast talking salesman. I was told 2 year contract as I told him I was planning on moving when my daughter started high school. Next I see a man walking up in my yard so I go out to see what he was doing. He was walking away and when I looked he had pulled my Apx sign out, threw it in my yard and stuck a Vivint sign in. I was never notified they had changed hands. Forward till now, my home is in foreclosure due to me getting very sick and not able to work for over 1 year now. I am a single mom. I called to cancel my contract. I knew there would be a cancellation fee like with a cell phone contract. They tell me I have a 4 year contract and have to pay the remainder or pawn this off on a family member. At this point I am going to box up all their equipment, send it back signature required. Stop the automatic debit to my checking account. I don't care if it affects my credit. I don't care if they turn it over to collections. I will wait and see if they decide to pursue it in court. I would think it would cost them more to go to court than I owe. Maybe with all the complaints there will be a class action suit for deceptive practices and consumer fraud. I am not going to stress about this after today! Do NOt let these people in your door. Taking advantage of elderly, sick and people struggling is unacceptable! I am going to slam this company on every website I can find. On to the next site! Good luck everyone! Maybe if everyone cancels mails their equipment back and stops monthly debit they will go bankrupt!

• Te
      8th of Jun, 2011

I Dont see this as a Scam I am sure that APX is not in compliance in every area that the sale, but that would be next to impossible to do .. Reguarding the Monitoring service the are as good as any.. Whats the scam ? If you dont want a 60month contract call a local company an purchase the equipment out right an pay a monthy monitoring fee of $25- $40 per month. Most people feel comfortable with the fact that they will be @ there home for the next 5 years an a security system is a must have. Not to defend APX but 938 out of 250000 is acceptable you cant please all the people all the time. An I would guess that 9.5 out of 10 cucstomers never have an issue with there system

• Ls
      6th of Feb, 2012

I don't understand what part of contract says cancel anytime it don't make sense and there is a call done before and after a sale to make sure you know what is goin on the fact of the matter is that everyone on this site that is complaining about apx/vivint is incompetent you never sign anything before reading now I'm a alarm salesman and take pride in what I do and take it personally when you slander a whole company due to one rep but it makes an honest reps job that much harder cause you didn't read what you signed and now the company is a scam maybe next time your in this situation you should set back and think I just met this person I think I'll READ what I'm about to sign I know it's crazy but just a suggestion I know some of you have legitimate complaints but most of you are idiots

15th of Jan, 2014

misleading alarm company "PROTELEC" i singed into a 3 year contract, and never knew about it, until i wanted to terminate services!! customer service its not the greatest as i experience from their office receptionist "RUDE" i will never have business with them

• Br
      15th of Jan, 2014

I read it and knew I was sealed into a contract. I also know that my contract reads I can cancel at the end of the contract. I wrote a letter but didn't send it registered because they had closed their Canadian branch and it was $16 postage. I decided to fax for less then $5 which was okay for cancellation. I then phoned them a couple of weeks later and asked if it was cancelled. I mean I crossed all my t's and dotted all my i's. So why have they taken 2 payments out of my account. Boy did I get the run around today. They should've got their stories straight though. The first guy even told me it was illegal for them to put the money back into my account. They could only send a cheque. The second guy said once they close an account they don't have the information to put it back into my account. But they just told me it wasn't cancelled. The first guy said I never phoned and the second guy said the woman didn't cancel the account properly. The lady told me when I phoned it was already cancelled with my fax she didn't have to do anything. They are crooks. They all asked if I could sell my contract to someone else rather than just cancelling. The answer is NO.
    I've had my alarm go off and have not had anyone contact me. They installed it as cheap as possible leaving the old panel on the other wall and plugging their panel into a socket I could not afford for it to use. Cheap excuse why they couldn't use the existing wiring as it turned out.