Apx Alarm / Misleading to get you stuck in 5 year contract

1 Suisun City, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 707-450-9407

PLEASE do not fall for the same thing i did A nice man came to my door selling an alarm system acting very concerned about my family's well being YEAH RIGHT he first lied and said I was not paying an activation fee I would only be paying $99 for my key remote which I agreed to because i have 2 kids under 2 and it almost impossible to get out of the house in 30 seconds. Come to find out I WAS paying a $99 activation fee so when I found out I called them and considering i was still in my 3 days of being able to cancel they offered me a free month I accepted. Second I specifically told BRAD ROYAL from APX alarm that the whole reason I wanted the alarm was because my 2 year and 6 month old were going to start sleeping in there own bed rooms and I wanted to feel safe having alarms on there windows so i would know in the event something did happen while I was asleep I would be aware I even asked questions about it and they even showed me how to by pass the windows if i ever wanted to leave them open for any reason. Well a week later when i woke up at 3am I forgot about the alarm and opened the window NOTHING happened so I called APX the next morning thinking something was wrong with my system ummm no nothing was wrong there was nothing on any of my windows only my 3 doors in the front of the house (who breaks in your front door?) then they said well you can put sensors on your windows for $60 a window, WHAT?? then to top it all off Brad told me if was happy with them and decided to stay with that company my rates would stay the same for 60 months he did not tell me I HAVE to stay with the company 60 months because I just signed the contract when I informed a few reps including a supervisor they did not care all they said is well you signed the papers. And last but not least when i filed a complaint with BBB i researched them and they have had 938 complaints in the last 36 months when i checked ADT i checked 4 different offices 3 had 0 complaints and 1 had 4 complaints in 36 months. and guess what the BBB still considers them as a satisfactory company, are you serious??? DON'T LET THESE PEOPLE SCAM YOU! this has been the worst 3 weeks of my life.

Comments

• Ju
      3rd of Jul, 2008

I had the same exact thing happen to me, word for word, i was lied to by the sales associates of this company. I have filed for complaint under BBB, and will start taking action against this company.

• A9
      13th of Jul, 2008

A nice young man came to my door selling an alarm system acting very concerned about my family's well being YEAH RIGHT he first lied and said I was not paying an activation fee I would only be paying $99 for my key remote which I agreed to because i have a teenage girl and it almost impossible to get out of the house in 30 seconds. I wanted to feel safe having alarms on the doors and a motion detector in the house being a single parent. I had the system off due to the fact I sent in a cancelation within 30. The alarm went off on it's own the next day I called thinking something was wrong with my system ummm no nothing was wrong. Because I just signed the contract when I informed a few reps including a supervisor they did not care all they said is well you signed the papers. When i researched them and they have had 938 complaints in the last 36 months when i checked ADT i checked 4 different offices 3 had 0 complaints and 1 had 4 complaints in 36 months. and guess what the BBB still considers them as a satisfactory company. I wanted to know is there any law in KY which prevent you from return an item within 30 day of contract? Can anyone help me please.

• Fr
      19th of Jul, 2008

I cannot understand why so many people do not READ THEIR CONTRACT. I just had APX out to my house to install an alarm and I was very surprised at how well it went considering the horror stories. No one seems to actually complain about the service (at least not the service they signed up for). I've done my own research and out of something like 250, 000 sign-ups in the last 36 months (that's 3 years) they've had 938 people complain? And how many of those were resolved? If you're going to compare an entire company against 3 regional Brink's offices of course you're going to see a difference in the numbers. Get real. I am not under the employ or direction of APX for the record. I'm just a consumer who takes the time to learn about what he's buying before hand. The system itself works EXACTLY as advertised.

• Va
      21st of Jul, 2008

The ApX Salesman was never rude to me, he but lied about their policies for military families. He told me that the 60 month contract did NOT need to be fully satisfied for military families. And Military will NOT be expected to pay the full amount If they decided to cancel early for ANY reason, and he made it VERY clear any reason we are not happy we can cancel the service no questions asked, because that was their "patriotic way" of showing the military that they care. He told me that he will bring me the forms tomorrow because his manager has them. Well the very next day, he put a written note on m door from his manager stating that Military can only cancel if they are forced to relocate and live in base housing. It was not even close to what I have been promised. All companies are required to do this. He told me specifically that I could cancel any time I wanted but the paper work that I got after I signed the contract was much different. Luckily I cancelled within my three days (which only ended up being two days to cancel) because the salesman wrote the wrong date on the forms. (I guess he wanted to give me less time to cancel). It was such a hassle to cancel services and they did not contact me for about two weeks, and they left a huge hole in my wall when they removed to system. They still haven't refunded me the money that I had to pay and it has been two months. When I call their corporate office, they tell me the payment is being processed, and yet I still don’t have my 59.99. Their prices end up being more than the other alarm companies any way. I do not reccoment them at all.

• Li
      25th of Jul, 2008

Maybe you should actually ask questions to find out exactly what you are getting

I have APX and LOVE everything about the company, they have superior equipment and the best customer service, I feel so much safer with them in my home!

• Te
      1st of Aug, 2008

Had the same experience with an apx salesman come to my door. I was very surprised at how strait forward they were with everything and the customer service had been exceptional to say the least. I did some research on my own and the equipment they put in my house is exceptional and I found out the cell unit that they have is only made for there company and it is the best on the market right now. Thanks APX and keep up the good work!

• Br
      7th of Aug, 2008

I'm about to start working for APX myself and have done the research on them and they really don't seem to be such a bad company after all. As a matter of fact they were just awarded the J. D. Power and Associates "Outstanding Customer Service Experience" Recognition. So that must tell you something. Not a lot companies are able to receive that. Now keep this in mind I do understand that it's the tech that represents the company so do keep in mind that the company as a whole is not bad it's the techs in the field that do sometimes to mislead! It's sad to say but it's true, it's like that in most sales fields i've experienced it first hand in a previous job as a reseller for at&t, there were a few agents that had a good heart and tried to actually help the customers out and tried to mislead them and then there were others that would tell them anything just to make a sale. So the bottom line is just because there may be a few bad apples within the company that doesn't mean the company as a whole is bad. Eventually it'll get to the point where we're able to weed out the bad ones and keep the good, then we'll really start to shine.

• Wo
      15th of Aug, 2008

I keep reading about all the praising that people are doing towards ADT. First, ADT has never won the J.D. Power and Associates award for excellent customer service. Brinks and APX are the only two companies to accomplish this. Also, there are so many "dealer" programs out there that sell alarms door to door that are then sold to ADT. The reason ADT doesn't have as many complaints is because the only way they generate accounts is by customers calling in to get these alarms. But companies like Pinnacle set up 5 year "contracts" that are then sold to ADT. Someone tell me if ADT lets you out of contract with no penalty? They generate accounts just like APX, but rather through other companies so they don't take the hit when you get a "bad" sales rep or technician.

• Mi
      21st of Aug, 2008

Don't sign with them. Im sure someone will defend this company and say that complaints are resolved. If you want to spend 2500 dollars in five years to a company that may or may not live up to its expectations, go for it. Set off the alarm, Burglary may be low priority to the police station. Are they licensed in you town? I have read many things about this company. My sales guy told me that he was from Utah. So did the tech. Im in PA. He told my neighbors different. It is a personal decision if you want to get with APX. Tech asked me where I wanted to put it. I pointed where I wanted it. He started drilling into my wall and I told him I did not want him to. I told him I did not care if the wires were showing. He drilled anyway and explained that it would look better if you cant see the wires. Unfortunately, he drilled where two panels meet and the wires still show. He left it a mess. I talked to 3 seperate neighbors and listened to what he told them compared to me. He used different tactics on all of us. He told me that he was doing a criminal check because his company would not put an alarm in a convicts home. I have sent faxes and a letter next day air to be signed. You can buy the same stuff they give you online for 300 dollars and go with a company for 8.99 to 12.99 with no contract. Do the math. I saw the salesman today and had more questions form him. He stumbled on a few of them. For 40-45 dollars a month you can do alot better. by the way, there is no cancellation department. It is the wizard behind the curtain. It is only a processing center that supposedly sends the info to customer service. Try to cancel while the tech is walking out the door and see what I mean. The processing department has no phones. My advice to anyone that signs is to fax them a copy of your cancellation with your signature, call the company and tell the rep to note the account that you canceled, unplug everything including the backup battery in the unit, mail a letter next day air or 2nd day with the yellow copy requesting signature, notorize if possible. Retain the pink copy for your records and hope for the best. At least your bases are covered under the 3 day cool off. You may not hear from them for who knows how long. But, you should get your money back within ten business days (sat is a business day) If they dont pick up there stuff or make arrangements for you to ship within 20 days, it is yours to keep. By the way you can change the installer code / mastercode and set it up with someone else cheaper. It is different from the the user code. Try doing a search for it. Its out there. If you read all of this, you are crazy. But if you signed and changed your mind. DO what I explained. If you didnt sign, good for you pass it on. Even if you are on the fence. Email the company and see if they email you back besides the automatic response.

• Vo
      3rd of Sep, 2008

Hi everyone,
    stop complain about the APX and go with ADT, nice people, very good service, fair pay and fast service. I do have ADT for two years and i can say only nice things:-) Go ADT, GO!!!:-)

VJ

20th of Oct, 2008

I think APX is terrible and so is SAI who is now responsible to the 'installations' and easy movemmet of devices. I have tried for over 1 month to get a technician out to my house in north carolina to move the box. SAI has had me on hold for well over 1 hr each time Im call. they are not willing or able to supply me a valid email address to use. I am beside myself. i am paying almost 40.00 per month for nothing and have no idea how to get this resolved. any ideas out there?

• Rh
      7th of Feb, 2009

I have a neighbor who has ADT. She has had nothing but problems with them since the day the system was installed. We have APX. We have had someone try to break in at 3am and the alarm went off. They were on the speaker within 10 seconds and the cops were here within less than 2 minutes. I did have to pay to have my panel replaced after there was a lightening stike very close to my house. But since we are a military family and my husband is gone most of the time it was well worth the $90 to replace the panel. The only complaint I have is that there is no military clause in the contract. My husband has new orders to VA and we will be moving soon. No way to cancel. Looks like we will have to pay the last 2.5 years left on the contract.

18th of Feb, 2009

APX is a SCAM! Stay away! My sales rep lied to me about a contract, saying I could cancel any time I wanted. He also said he was from Utah. Not to mention, he bothered me at about 8:30 pm and by the time they got done installing the system it was past 11pm. When I try to cancel, some very rude sales reps point out the 'contract' I signed explaining that I could get out of the contract at any time if I a) sell it to someone else or b) pay off the rest of the contract. I felt lied to and ripped off in every possible way. The rep didn't even show me the whole contract, just had me sign a page - my mistake yes, but he didn't even present the rest of the contract to me, just hid it in that stupid folder of info. I have had 2 false alarm fees which they refused to inform me about this possibility. Do NOT get involved with this company!

• Da
      25th of Mar, 2009

The problem for me with APX is that the system does NOT work for digital phones, ONLY for analog. My system has been contstantly failing for months now due to the fact that we only have digital phones in our house. Last night the tech told me that I would need to install a $180 feature that would allow the system to plug into a cell phone device. On top of that, my bill would increase due to cell phone usage. Of course that was not explained to me when the system was installed. I will have a "talk" with them today. I refuse to pay for a system that does not work...maybe it is time to get my lawyer involved.

• Ju
      6th of Apr, 2009

I read most of these comments. I am A service tech and company owner. I happen to have done service for APX in the past as a subcontractor because they don't usually have techs that are local. I am in California by the way. Anyhow, in my experience, I do have to say that I have ran into some pretty messed up alarm systems by APX. I do have to say that the best choice for anyone is to look at doing business with your local companies because it is always easier to just go in and talk to someone face to face at their office. That way you will always have someone that is going to be responsible for your alarm system. And that goes for any kind of service. These out of town (out of state) sales reps don't have any sense of responsibility towards you. For all they know they will never see you again in their whole life. Same goes for the installers. Most of the time these installers don't even have the proper training. They just get a crash course on how to install a certain and specific type of system. So you don't even get a technician, but a trained monkey. I can go on about this for real long. But take it from me, someone who has dealt with this industry for years, It is best to deal with someone who you can talk to and whom you can go back to when you are having issues. Go with someone local. Might be more expensive upfront, but in the long run it is worth it. Even the monitoring rate is less if you pay for the installation and parts upfront. so at the end of three years it works out the same .

• Sp
      20th of Apr, 2009

My problem with APX is that after I signed my contract, I found out their license to sell or install alarm systems was not valid in my state-it had expired. The license expired April 30, 2008 and they did not submit a request for a license renewal until that date either. According to our state alarm company licensing board, the license was not reviewed by the board until May 30, 2008. I signed my contract on May 21, 2008.
    According to the state alarm company licensing board, there were several issues with their license request, including listing employees who had been previously terminated in the past.
    APX Alarm has told me that I have no complaint and that even though their license was not renewed until May 30, 3008 it was retroactive for the whole month of May. My state alarm company licensing office states that is news to them regarding the retroactive statement but will review it with their legal department once APX responds to my complaint which I had filed with the licensing board..
    I also didn’t care that the sales rep who “sold” me the security system grabbed my wrist after his sales pitch when I told him I wasn’t interested in their product. Why I didn’t call the police on him I don’t know. I don’t think he meant any harm by grabbing my wrist and being a man, I didn’t feel threatened by him. I felt sorry for him so I agreed to the contract.

• Sh
      22nd of Apr, 2009

my husband and I both are in the military and we boh will be deploying to Iraq on the IST of May and i called them to cancel the service the people were very nice said that all we had to do was fax a copy of the orders and that would be dat. I thought that everything was all good but listening to the horror stories I dont know what to expect now. We told them that this was a rental property from the beginning and the guy said that that was no issue. I'm very afraid now after reading the stories on this page.

2nd of May, 2009

Thank you guys so much for posting this - an APX rep came to my house yesterday and tried to get my husband & me to sign up. Luckily we decided to sit on the decision overnight and read your posts. Thanks SO MUCH for the warning! We're not doing it. Unfortunately, 7 of our neighbors fell for it :(

• Li
      5th of May, 2009

APX uses unethical practices. Read about it. It's all over. I had the same thing happen, the guy came to the house, i didnt let him in tho and did not sign up for this bogus offer. He kept asking questions like; do you work all day(red flag), is your dog always inside (red flag), how many doors do you have (red flag), he kept insisting on coming in (red flag) but i told him no. He told me that some of my neighbors had already signed up on the street parallel to mine. I got 2 addresses from this guy. So in the morning i went to check it out. Guess what...no such addresses. I ask for a brochure and he said he didnt have any (red flag), I asked for a business card-he didnt have any, i asked to see his badge and drivers license...guess he walked around the city because he didnt have his drivers license on him. What a coincedence. APX is a scam!!! All these praises about APX are the scammers themselves. DO NOT fall for it. APX IS A SCAM!!!

10th of May, 2009

Its quite simple. Salesman are salesman. Regardless of what they call themselves. Some state that they are "advertising reps", and they want to use your home as a "model". APX Alarm is getting its start just like ADT and Brinks. Think back, and Im sure you will remember. Those companies could not afford TV and Radio commercials when they first got their start. Nor could they afford full time Salesman and Technicians. These companies use(d) summer contract employees. They will tell you anything they think will get you to buy their system. (Or model for a low introductory price, with no activation/installation fee)

There are things that every home owner and renter should know. First of all, renters are not allowed to engage contracts that will affect the home/property without the owner's expressed written consent. APX Alarm knows this, and forbid the salesman to sell to a renter. That does not stop them from doing so. Secondly, all home owners have had to read contracts. There are hidden clauses in EVERY contract. For example. Look at the back of your APX contract. It clearly states that system is NOT guaranteed to ALWAYS work. It also states that they are not REQUIRED to patch any holes.

In the end. You all got what you paid for, according to the law and the contract. The only way out of this contract is to either A) Cancel before the 3 day right of recission. If the rep did not tell you about this, (or leave you the paperwork) then he broke the law and you should REPORT HIM IMMEDIATELY!!

B) Be in the armed services, and become deployed. It does not matter if APX Alarm has a clause about military personnel in it. The military has been, and always will be, exempt from contracts in the event of deployment.

If you do not fall under these catagories, you can still get out of your contract without paying for the system. You just need a good attorney who knows how to see through the bull, and wont back down from Corporate America.