APS / overcharged

1 Phoenix, AZ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 602-371-7171

I live in an apartment in central Phoenix of 985 sq ft. I live here with my husband and two little boys. Our apartment is a two bedroom, two bath with washer and dryer. My problem is that my electric bill is an average amount of 250.00 dollars a month!!! I have talked to 1300 sq ft home owners that pay the same amount or less in electric (with SRP). APS has a stupid system of rates where you have like an off peak and on peak time. Off peak, you pay less and on peak you pay more. WHY??? You are not a damn phone company!!! This is Phoenix and it is hot ALL DAY. Life goes on ALL DAY!!! Washers, dryers, stoves, and air conditioners run at different times due to work, school, kids, dinner and everything else that goes on in a family life. It is stupid to have differentiating rates.

I recently heard that they are installing solar panels for the SUNS and it will cost millions of dollars but ticket prices will not go up. THEY ARE PAYING THAT WITH MY HARD EARNED MONEY!!!

We had to use APS as our electric company because this apartment complex only works with them and not SRP. I had SRP before and I used the MPower box which is great for a low income family that lives paycheck to paycheck because of the rotten economy our dear government has cornered us into. SRP is awesome with that MPower box. I emailed APS about maybe doing the same thing, all they said was that they were looking into it but could not say when they could offer it. IS IT ROCKET SCIENCE??? They offer a program that might help lower your bill, but you have to make very, very little money. NEWS BREAK!!! 30, 000 a year is not good enough wage anymore! Anything more than that, you are screwed and will not qualify! I also have to say that they are not sympathetic at all about any situation and will not hesitate to shut off your service. I have read complaints about senior citizens that have been told to go to a hospital to run their medical machines because they were going to shut the power anyways. INCREDIBLE! How can they be so cold knowing that they are overcharging. OH wait! All their employees must be rich since we all pay so much!

I am on my wits end with this damn company. Both my husband and I are full time students trying to ensure our future, however this bill and service are making it really hard for us to get by.There tons of complaints on the web in different chat rooms about problems like mine, how come no one has done anything about it???!!! The rates are ridiculous and families like mine are having to choose between food on the table or electricity.

Va

Comments

• Aj
      20th of Sep, 2010
    APS - tree removal
    aps
    arizona

APS sent two workers to cut down a tree in my back yard at 7:45 A.M. Monday morning . I called APS and they were snippy on the phone. I thought this was a good companay until this incident. You have no idea how enjoyable it is to hear chain saws outside your bedroom window at 8 in the morning.

• El
      23rd of Dec, 2010
    APS - Harrassment / Extortion/ Illegal Billing
    APS
    Arizona

Putting together a list of consumer complaints against APS. If you were forced to pay someone elses bill in order to keep your current, paid services on, please email your complaint to electricconsumer@gmail.com.

• Ka
      31st of Mar, 2011

I hate A.P.S too... they sent me a final pay notice that i have to pay 60 atleast on 4/6 and my power was shut off 3/31!!! How ridiculous!!! They dont like to do payment plans and really dont have any sympathy for anyone but there stupid company!!! I would much rather to have S.R.P and have A.P.S go out of business... Stupid, Heartless people work there!!! Even management... I am at work and my husband and 22 month old daughter are at home with no electric and they demand 200 to turn it back on... paying them that left me short on rent money... This is serious Bull S**T!!! I hate A.P.S!!!

17th of Aug, 2011

Please can you tell me if your complaints were effective?

• Md
      23rd of Aug, 2011

I think they are somehow ripping people off. I live with my fiancee in a 600 sq apartment with a couple dogs. Last year we paid for aug. sept. and october over $300 and in one case $349 for each month. This year we replaced our A.C. unit, ( we bought two energy efficient window units instead of using an ancient central a.c.) weather treated the apartment extremely well and still paid around $235 for Jun and Jul which is what we paid last year. Since the cost seemed the same we turned off our hot water heater since the water stayed warm from the day and wasn't too much of a nuisance and for the August bill we're looking at $260 so far. I can't imagine we're doing anything to suck up that much energy. I really am confused and would like someone to investigate their charges.

• 52
      6th of Nov, 2011

I THINK THAT AN INVESTIGATION AND PETITIONING OF APS SHOULD BE DONE OR CIRCULATED FOR RESIDENTS. THEY ARE NOT CUSTOMER FRIEDLY ESPECIALLY IN THIS ECONOMIC DOWNTURN. THEY DO NOT WORK WITH YOU ON PAYING DEPOSITS AND THEY CHARGE YOU FOR WHAT OTHER PEOPLE USED AND NOT A FLAT RATE. I MISS MY MPOWER SERVICE WITH SPR AND I PLAN TO RETURN TO SRP. THEY CHECK YOUR CREDIT AND THEY TELL YOU THAT THEY DON'T GO BY IT.

• Zz
      6th of Nov, 2012

When I was threaten with shut-off, preceded to a pay station. Somehow I came up short $ 1.83 for payment.
    After they shut me down I called and asked why. They told me because I came up short $ 1.83
    I said to the guy you didn't really just say that did you? Yes sir I did. "UN******ING BELIEVABLE"
    Note: Stop the radiation from your smart meter. Wrap it with carbon paper...it works.
    You think it's bad now wait tell they close the rest of the 130 coal fire power plants. APS will be even more ruthless then they already are. No govt. regulation against corporate giants. Collapse by May living in the USSA.

10th of Jul, 2014

We aren't just paying for the electricity we use. We are paying Deliv service charge ??? WTf is that.. we are being charge for someone reading the damn meter. They really are expensive !

• Re
      14th of Jul, 2016

I don't understand why all these fees exist on my bill. I calculated the obvious electric charges and yes I gave them service fees and my bill was half the amount due. Only around $250 and my bill is $446! I don't have that kind of money just flopping in the wind. Which I'm sure there is a fee for using my window somewhere. Or maybe there is a fee for walking up my drive way instead of skipping.

They are charging me something called a four corner's adjustment. I don't think this is legal. I live in an APS zone and I can't have SRP. So as the consumer i'm not allowed to choose my utility? SO that means my utility can do whatever it wants? Worse yet, there is nothing that I can do about it! Something is really wrong here and I don't know what fees belong to something that actually exists. I understand that they need to charge certain fees for certain services. But this has gone far beyond the scope of sanity. This is abuse. Abuse. I'm going to get a SRP bill from my mom and compare the fees because this isn't right. Even if I do find a variance between the companies there is nothing I can do about it. I can't move. I can't ask them to be intelligent humans and realize that this is wrong.

If I can't change APS then I should at least be allowed the option of using SRP or even the option of going off the grid completely and using solar panels. APS actually wants to charge people a fee for using panels. They want to own sunlight!

• Go
      19th of Jan, 2017

@Red19 Red19 I am in agreement with you...I looked at my bill and don't understand why we have all of these nonsense charges. I want to take this to 3 on your side and see what can be done.

• Da
      20th of Jan, 2018

@goofyteresa Can we start a petition against aps? I think its robbery

@Dale and Brenda Hinkley Agreed however I don't want them to turn my power off

25th of Jan, 2018

APS is ripping me off too we do not use electricity or the pool nothing during the winter and I have a $400 electricity bill on budget billing. They're going up $100 a month for the past 3 months and I can explain to me why. How do we fight these electric companies and get Justice $400 a month without electricity and gas is ridiculous

• Da
      25th of Jan, 2018

@Jacob wagner I want to find out where and when the city has councel meetings, that way we can all show up and complain?

20th of Aug, 2018
    Arizona Public Service Company [APS] - Bill not received - 4 days cutoff notice
    aps.com

after 44 years of paying the bill on time and in-full - for the same address - i receive a 4 day cutoff notice from these folks just like i am a deadbeat. no corporate memory - and no consideration that the postal service may have lost/misdelivered the bill

• Ke
      10th of Sep, 2018
    Arizona Public Service Company [APS] - Outrageous deposit for one day late charge
    Arizona

Been paying over 300 a month the last few years. Recently went up to over 500 due to weekend payment was late a day An was charged 610 deposit for a day this was ridiculous.

• 50
      27th of Oct, 2018
    APS (Arizona Public Service) - waiting 200 days for electric meter
    Arizona

We have had our solar hooked up for over 60 days and aps wont come set our meters Aps has been dragging this out for over 120 days, no ome will get the service finalized.The property is at 4065 north 7th phoenix az 85086