Applebee's | Sliders / poor food / poor service

1 Albuquerque, NM, United States Review updated:

Tough economy strikes Applebee's store #528 in Albuquerque, NM

I understand that on occasion a restaurant runs out of ingrediants to make items on their menu. Most will advise the patron of the situation and suggest an alternate choice. Not Applebee's. No, when out of BREAD let's just cut 1/2 of a bun in 1/4's and then serve up 3 of the 4 (smaller than bitesize morsels up and hit the customer for the full $8.

And NO THE SANDWICH SHOWN IN THE IMAGES WAS NOT ALTERED IN ANYWAY - IT IS SHOWN AS SERVED

Applebee's | Sliders
Applebee's | Sliders

Jb

Comments

• Sh
      6th of Jul, 2009

So, what did you do about it? It looks like you ate the food. I would've sent it back and asked for something else.

6th of Jul, 2009

When the meal was served, I had the waitress invite her manager over to discuss the quality of the meal with me. The manager advised me that they had run out of the slider bread and that she would discuss the matter with their kitchen. At some point during the meal the waitress advised me that the manager was adjusting the bill.

I advised her that I wanted the bill to be left unadjusted as we were going to pay for the 2 slider meals as served. I also advised her that as an Applebee's manager who considered serving guests this meal as appropriate, she needed to advise her corporate office that the images of the experience were going to be posted on every blog site I knew of.

• Ve
      6th of Jul, 2009

So you got the food and complained. In order to try and make it right the manager was going to adjust the bill. But instead you said you didn't want it adjusted. You then appeared to eat the meal and still post a complaint. Interesting how you didn't put that they tried to make it right when you made your original complaint. I wonder what else you didn't say?

6th of Jul, 2009

I agree with rrh. They admitted your meal wasn't appropriate and offered to make amends. The manager did exactly what she should've done. What're you complaining about? When something goes wrong and a business either corrects or offers to make up for the problem, that's good customer service. All you did was cheat yourself out of money.

6th of Jul, 2009

I disagree completely. Having worked in food service a good part of my life, restaurant management always excuses themselves out with 'that person was just trying to get a free meal'. This was clearly a decision by management to short serve their clientele. Fixing the meal or two that they get called on while cheating everyone else is a bigger issue than me getting $8 bucks taken off my ticket. And yes, I even tipped the waitress as it wasn't her fault their management makes these decisions.

I wanted my point made loud and clear.
    I was a paying patron;
    I was cheated by their policy;
    I was leaving their cooking staff the sample above so they could fully understand how they
    represented their employer.

BTW .. this picture was taken prior to the meal being consumed. The other two 'pieces' and au jous were moved out of the way for the full effect of the comparison of the size of the french fry vs the 'slider'.

6th of Jul, 2009

You don't have enough information to assume they were cheating everybody. Instead you come off as someone with a vendetta against Applebee's.

6th of Jul, 2009

Calisurfer, I blame management because SHE acknowledged that was THEIR solution for being out of bread. If I was in Applebee's management I would have suggested to my crew to 1) advise the customer prior to acceptance of the order 2) if the customer agreed to a change in the product, cut a regular sandwich in 1/3rds so that their was at least a reasonable appearance that the food served was of comparable quantity quality to that in the pictures. But to cut a sandwich into 1/8's and then serve up 3/8's of a sandwich and charge more than a soup/sandwich combo which would have at least been 1/2 sandwich is ridiculous.

As for Sheeyah, I am even more disappointed to see that Applebee's assigns people like you to monitor these blogs to try to point blame at the consumer rather than deal with the mismanagement themselves.

But REALLY thanks for your INPUT. I know they CHEATED me and by THEIR OWN ADMISSION that is THEIR POLICY so it reasons that they intentionally CHEAT everyone that doesn't call them to the carpet on it.

And I don't have a vendetta against anyone. Advising people to avoid ripoffs like the one that took place here is the point of this site. If it is clear that a policy is set that is harmful to all consumers what good does it do for one person to get their meal adjusted while the next people get the same poor food/service. If the Applebee's adjusts enough of these meals off the policy doesn't change .. THE PRICE GOES UP on everything else.

Fortunately, since I won't be back there again it will be fools like you that ### about the prices going up while you sit back and eat your free desert or your 1/2 price meal for the umpteenth time.

6th of Jul, 2009

Maybe it was just a poor decision by someone (the manager, the cook, whomever). Maybe they weren't trying to cheat anyone.

The only blame I pointed at you was that you didn't take the offered restitution. I never said they didn't make a mistake. In fact, I first said I would've sent the food back.

I don't think I ever read you stating they said this was their policy. It may only have ever happened in this one location for all we know.

By your words, you do have a vendetta. Your reason is that you don't want the price to go up? You think that refunding order mistakes will cause a drastic price increase? Really? If it's not already built into their menu pricing it probably comes out of someone's pocket.

I doubt we are all fools just because you think you're right. And it's been extremely rare that I've ever had to send back a meal or get some kind of discount. You've made this to be a much bigger deal than it needed to be.