Apple Movers And Storage / Had to Call 911 on Them

1 Review updated:

Yep, we had to call 911 on them. Before you hire them, do your homework. From the BBB site: "BBB processed a total of 10 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total of 10 complaints closed in 36 months, 1 was closed in the last year." According to our research AFTER our experience, the consensus seems to be that the owner of this company is "brutal" to deal with.

Our story:
When I called to book my move, I told them our new house has a spiral staircase, that the master bedroom was upstairs and that the bedroom furniture was very heavy. Asked if they wanted to look at the new house before taking the job, and they said no. All this was noted on the contract we later signed when movers arrived, so we have proof they knew UP FRONT. We had sold all our other furniture so the house was virtually bare except for bedroom furniture and dining table. Should have been a quick loading job. They dropped and shattered our $1, 800 headboard within 10 minutes of arriving, first item on the truck, and then took over 2 hours--with smoke breaks--to load our boxes and dining table. After seeing the spiral stairs at the new house, called their boss (Randy, the owner) to describe the staircase situation, who then told them that they were to stop unloading unless we paid them $350 cash AND signed a waiver of liability for further damages and an acceptance of responsibility for personal injuries. After they'd broken our only remaining furniture and taken 2 hours to load less than 2 rooms, I refused, telling them they knew about the staircase UP FRONT when I booked them, and that no waivers had ever been mentioned before. He threatens, "either you sign it, or that's it!" I told him to instruct his men to unload my things, as per the SIGNED CONTRACT, or he could see me in court. He yelled, "then see me in court!" Randy then told his guys to leave the location with the rest of our possessions on the truck if I refused to sign the waiver. I pulled my truck in front of theirs and called 911 for assistance. Cops arrived and got on the phone with Randy, who began yelling at them (as indicated by the sergeant's voice getting louder and louder). Cops told him he was not leaving with the our things or his guys would be going to jail for larceny. Randy then tells the cops that he will leave his moving van in my driveway, locked, for 30 days. After further arguing, Randy finally relents, grudgingly, and tells his guys to put our things in the garage ONLY, and to accept the $200 my husband offered to pay for the half-job they did until such time as he "could collect the rest in court."

We have sent them a certified letter making a formal claim and requesting compensation for the damages; have filed a BBB report; will contact a consumer law attorney if they do not comply.

A truly horrible experience, indeed.

Apple Movers And Storage

Cg

Comments

• Ap
      Sep 20, 2010

Well, it's true whether you believe it or not, my friend. The cops that responded to the call were Sgt. N. Schwarz and J. Kadena of the Hefner Rd Division, units 1B102 and 1B112. Feel free to check for yourself. Should be a matter of public record. We have also begun legal proceedings with a local attorney and, of course, there is the little matter of the WRITTEN CONTRACT that further proves it all as true (as if the 911 record isn't enough).

Do you work for Apple or something?

• Ri
      Mar 15, 2011

I have used Apple movers on 5 different move over the past 5 years and had greet service from them. I was just looking up thier phone number when I seen this posting so I called and talked to the owner. It sounds like this guy above just did"t want to pay his bill. However there is are few people that are out there to rip OFF anybody they can. You should be ashamed of yourself to try and take advantage of a honest company because of your financial hardship. WHAT I can say in defense of Apple Movers is that I have had first class service on 5 different moves including having them move my mother to a assisted living. I also called 2 are 3 of the people on the Reference list that the sales person gave me with my first quote 4 are 5 years ago. I would just ask for a few past customers phone number of move customers and call if you have any questions These are good guys and I have them scheduled to move me again on March 29th. DON"T BELIVE EVERTHING PEOPLE WRITE. theres no way there can be this kind of differents in service. Feel free to ask Apple movers for my Phone Number I will be gald to answer any questions for you. My name is Rita Lane

• Cg
      Apr 28, 2011

Update: We won our lawsuit against Apple Movers last month and were awarded $2, 100 for our damaged furniture. Now we are proceeding with collection. Feel free to look it up in the Oklahoma County court records. I don't now if we will ever see a penny given that this type of man/company tends to operate just inside the law, but at least it's on the legal record that this company is unprofessional and dishonest. Oh, and we ARE starting the next phase of our suit. Hopefully we have proven that Apple Movers and Randy cannot get away with doing this to customers. ~CG24/apj

• Mo
      Apr 28, 2011

Wow, that was quick, was it small claims then? Glad you won. "Rita Lane" must be the wife/gf/sister of the owner...who moves 5-6 times in five years? Congrats, hope you collect.