APOLLO COLLEGE / Fraud and just plain BS

1 Mesa, AZ, United States Review updated:

Please do not go to Apollo College for Medical Billing and Coding course. They are nothing more than a bunch of liars there. They pull you into their crap classes with a bunch of people that look like they just got out of jail or off the streets just to MAKE THAT SALE to get anyone's butt into a seat. I was told that "Oh yeah we'll help you get a job" - sure they will all they do is send your resume out along with about a million other's and it's usually to the same darn company. They also DO NOT CLUE YOU INTO the fact that in the Medical Billing and Coding course that YOU HAVE TO OBTAIN A CODING CERTIFICATE - well guess what they don't offer nor help you obtain that certification, nor do they tell you up front about it. Oh yeah also... you have to be into the billing part of your field for TWO YEARS before you can obtain the correct certification for coding in order to obtain a job. I have been out of school since March 2008 and I haven't obtained a job yet - I am currently working in a kitchen at a Senior Center just to make ends meet. I should say that I was so thrilled and proud of myself to get my diploma for this coursework but now what a total 100% disappointment it has been - I am sure that the economy might have something to do with the no job thing but most of it is because these universities that are out there DO NOT let you into all the facts before they reel you into their scam classes and charge you out the nose. I did go to WIU (Western International University) and there they have good classes and also great teachers - that is where I'll be heading next to finish out my BS in Accounting which I should have in the first place. Oh well live and learn.

Sm

Comments

• Hr
      27th of May, 2009

As with any career, it is important to do your homework. It's unfortunate no one held your hand through college but realistically, you probably should have done some investigating on certification yourself before enrolling.

27th of May, 2009

huh? she took a CLASS in it.. they definately should have devoted a little time to going over certification requirements. It is not unreasonable to assume that would be discussed..

• Jk
      28th of May, 2009

Ok, I should have done more research .Apollo is concerned onlywith getting your money. I graduated from the Dental Assisting program. Every one of us found out that the school isn't even ADA accredited when it was too late to back out. Why can a school do this and not be sued for fraud?
    Other Dental Assisting schools have all the students for the program start and end together. Apollo has new students entering every few weeks. For instance, new students were admitted durring the x-ray portion of the course. Without any dental terminology or anatomy at all. No one can learn in that manner. Its all about selling the chair.
    I am also not working as a Dental Assistant. No one wants to hire Apollo Graduates. It was the worst decision I have ever made.

7th of Jul, 2009

There is an old saying..."You get what you pay for.", but when it comes to Apollo College that saying does NOT apply. I attended the Respiratory Therapy program in 1988 . I was told at the time I enrolled that Apollo was "accredited", and the credits were transferable to other colleges.

I completed the program and graduated with an AAS-RT degree, which has served me fine for the NBRC (national registry) boards and state licensure. However, many years later when I attempted to enroll at a university to work toward a Bachelor's degree, I discovered my Apollo transcript is not worth the paper it's printed on. The university would not recognize ANY of the Apollo credits...NO UNIVERSITY WOULD!! I was flat-out LIED TO by Apollo!!

Even community colleges refuse to recognize the credits. When I called Apollo to find out why, the woman on the phone just kept repeating "Apollo will accept credits from other schools". Wait...WHAT?? Then, after her several deceptive attempts to turn the focus back on what "Apollo will accept", she finally answered..."Sir, it remains the discretion of the receiving institution whether they'll accept the credits or not". So she basically told me...call every other school in the entire nation and see if you can find one that will accept Apollo's worthless credits.

A "degree" from Apollo College is the equivalent of vocational training...they are a technical college, nothing more. OK, so their accelerated program saved me six-months over attending traditional college...BIG DEAL. If I would have attended the Respiratory Program from Gateway Community College, I would have obtained a "real" AAS degree for ONE-THIRD THE COST I paid Apollo...and my credits would have transferred to ANY college in the country! Now if I want to get my Bachelors degree, I'm going to have to start from scratch...FOUR FULL YEARS of school!!

10th of Jul, 2009

Totally agree! They are not a good college! I got ripped off as well. I put a lot of effort into my classes, and was at the top of my class. Now, I am being told by employers that Im not a good enough therapist to get hired, and to top it all off, I'm now in debt thousdands of dollars!

• Po
      15th of Jul, 2009

I am enrolled in the pharmacy technician program. Of course research should have been my main focus before joining a school but I felt I had compiled enough info to go on ahead and enroll at apollo. its somewhat my own fault but I have about the same issue.

they base alot on enrollment, I assumed that paying the ammount I am I would have the decision to go to and from classes when I liked, that is not the case. although I passed all of the test finals and did a huge portion of not all of the homework due to attendance I did not pass. The reason...sites want a person thats going to show up daily. COME ON thats ridiculous am I really going to treat a job this way... heck NO. This is a stepping stone, I dont even really need to take this program but it teaches you the basics and it looks good on a resume...

I recently found out just a short time ago (and I have been enrolled for 6 months now) that not only do I have to pay for passport photos(which is cheap like 8 dollars at wallgreens) but I have to pay 35 dollars to attempt to get my Oregon license which is good for one year until I must take the National board of certification test that will set me back I believe $180!!!

to add on top of my frustration I not only have to retake the classes I failed due to attendance but I lose all of my grants meaning instead of getting over 1, 600 dollars back I end up owing $757.00!!! then add the classes I have to retake (which mind you are quite a few) thats about another $2, 500!!!

as I said it may be my own fault but the way they hype there programs up and the way they omit very specific and important information is a little to ummmm conveniant for my likes.

I dont mind the courses but im taking a ton of classes that dont even pertain to my field of study, they stretch and add things to keep students in longer, to give you more opportunities to mess up and all in all its just a horrible school. most of the teachers were past techs that of course couldnt make it in the real field...that I found out later most were temps...! I have temps teaching me, well excuse me "instructing me" they dont instruct a thing, they read off a piece of paper give you lame "labs" where you count beans, where you compound (which is quite nice) but as I said alot of things dont pertain to my field the counting yes, the compounding in my case NO Im not going to compound I want to be at a store counting pills and being a robot lol.

just do your research although its accelerated you may be better off going to a two year college, the prices are about the same, they dont jerk you around and you can actually enjoy the experience.

I am 27 years old and they treat you/talk to you like your 17! they care little lets face it there here to make money and were just a stepping stone to get what they want

• Bi
      10th of Aug, 2009

As for the poster above who says they started in the middle of x-ray is completely wrong. You do have to take Anatomy first before they will let you do x-ray.

Anyways the school is not there to hold your hand in finding a job, they said that they will help you out. In my class more then half of the students leaving already have jobs before they even left school and went on extern.

• Ni
      8th of Dec, 2009

I am a 54 yr old woman and on social security disability for 15 yrs due to a very bad back& severe mirgrains.I had attended apollo college tucson az for 1 day and I too have to admit about the classes they jam as much people mainly kids those are the ones they can control.It was my very 1st day 12/08/09, I was told I had to do homework for 9 chapters but get this I didn't have a BOOK.The so-called instructer told all the new students to share the book with another student.I was in it for Medical Assistant.I have worked in the healthcare for over 30 yrs as a nursing assistance/a C.N>/and a nurse tech and never ever in all those yrs did I ever attend a class like this one at apollo college here in tucson.I left early as I had gotten a severe mirgrain and numbness in the right side of my face.I called home for a ride to pick me up, and I left.Now I had found out that apollo college was in bankrupcy and drvy unv bailed them out.If they try to take my grants away or make me pay for a course for 1 whole day then I will countersuit apollo college with the help of the AMERICAN DISABILITY ACT.They did not accomendate me or my disabilities and that my friend is a VIOLATION of my CIVIL RIGHTS.However I did learn 1 very stupid topic today and thats how to obtain a credit card in a physicans name.Well all you doc's nationwide beware apollo college does NOT have yr backs

• Ha
      9th of Jan, 2010

Apparently when you don't do your research and don't ask questions it is alway someone else's fault. I am sorry there are a lot of degrees at Universities where you don't get the certification with your education. Prime example is Teachers. My cousin graduated with a bachelors degree in teaching and guess what ASU didn't pay for her certification she has to go out and do that on her own. When you become a lawyer your boards are not included in your tuition nor does the school pay for it...Hello people anything you get certified on etc you PAY FOR!!! Nursing, you pay your own boards, CNA's pay their own boards. What part don't you understand...Seriously. When I went to University of Phoenix then tried to go back to MCC none of those credits transferred etc. So does that make University of Phoenix a fraud? NO. I have heard nothing but the truth they tell us upfront that we have to take the test to become a CMA or RMA and we pay for our certification they have never lied about that.

9th of Jan, 2010

To "happywithapollo":

I will agree with you (to a point) about "research", and from a legal standpoint Apollo isn't technically guilty of "fraud"...but this institution is in the business of making money and (in my personal experience) they used deceptive practices to do so. When I inquired about credit transfer they KNEW what I was asking, and they blatantly misled me. When you tell a student that their "Apollo credits will transfer to other schools and universities" WITHOUT qualifying that statement with a disclaimer that Apollo's accreditation is not a "REGIONAL" accreditation (which is what an institution needs for their credits to be recognized by state colleges and universities)...that's deception!

What 19-year-old kid is gonna "research" accreditation...especially BEFORE the Internet was even available!! I will admit that, for the most part, Apollo delivered on what they promised...I was able to practice Respiratory Therapy after graduation. However, I still feel deceived by the manner in which they avoided the true nature of their accreditation. Hell, TWENTY-YEARS LATER the rep on the phone was still trying to skirt the issue of credit transfer (read my post above). And don't even get me started on the WORTHLESS "job placement assistance" they promised...what a joke!! The ONLY reason I couldn't file fraud is...they didn't put in writing what they promised me verbally.

Apollo College is a VOCATIONAL TRAINING PROGRAM (i.e. ITT Tech, The Bryman School, ATI, UTI, California College, etc, etc)...nothing more. It is NOT cheap, and the college credits are worthless. So I will let anyone reading this decide if Apollo is right for them.

• Rm
      24th of Jan, 2010

I am just starting the Medical Billing/Coding program at Apollo. I did check into certification, it clearly states that one must work at least 2 yrs before taking the certification testing. I understand I will have to pay for the testing.

Should I back out?

• Gs
      5th of Mar, 2010

WIU is a racist organization, bigots who have no clue

6th of Mar, 2010

Since inquiring with Apollo registrars office on my credit transfer status, I have received numerous calls from them attempting to "sell" me on their new RT Bachelor Degree Program. According to the rep, it would only cost me TWENTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!!

So apparently they have a Telemarketing Department now. I'm just wondering how many different ways I can say "Go ### Yourselves" before they'll stop calling me.

###!

• 7r
      4th of Apr, 2010

It's like this all the way across the board with this so called eductional institutions. They are all scams designed to lure people into a financial contract. Once that contract is signed your ### is theirs. You might be desperate for to attain some kind o 'certification' or' diploma'
    but it does not guarantee you work. Don't fall into their capitalistic trap.

5th of Apr, 2010

To "7redreaper":

You are SO correct, for those of you still considering Apollo College (or ANY "trade school") check out this article that ran in The New York Times.

• Cr
      10th of Apr, 2010

I worked at Apollo College. My advice is to go to community college instead. Apollo College misleads its students and uses up Federal Aid that would serve them better at a community college. The people posting positive comments about Apollo are SEO people hired to scour the web for any negative news about Apollo College and respond with phony comments to paint Apollo College in a positive light they are not real comments from real students.

• Aa
      4th of Jun, 2010

i definitly agree "APOLLO COLLEGE IS A TOTAL SCAM" I STARTED THERE AS A 17 YEAR OLD THAT WAS STILL IN HIGH SCHOOL MY SENIOR YEAR AND GOT BRAIN WASHED IN TO LEAVING MY HIGH SCHOOL AND SUPPOSEDLY GETTING AHEAD IN A CAREER I HAD TO RE DO MY INTERNSHIP AND I WAS CHRGEED FOR IT.. I DIDNT HAVE THE MONEY TO PAY IT AND THEY EVEN TOLD ME I COULD PAY WITH A CREDIT CARD! I WAS 18 YEARS OLD NO JOB NO MONEY! THATS WHY I WAS IN SCHOOL I CRIED SO MUCH ! I JUST WANTED MY DIPLOMATO BE SUCCESFUL AN DMOVE AHEAD INSTEAD OF HELPING ME NOW IM STUCK NO JOB INWHAT I WENT TO SCHOOL FOR BECOUSE EVEN THO I FINISHED THE WHOLE COURSE INCLUDING INTERNSHIP aPOLLO cOLLEGE DIDNOT GIVE ME MY DIPLOMA... IF ANYONE HAS THE SAME PROBLEM AND YOU FOUND A SOLUTION PLEASE HELP ME.. THANKS! BUT NO DOUBT APOLLO IS A RIP OFF THEY SHOULD HAVE EMPATHY AND HELP THEIR STUDENTS VERSES BEING MALCIOUS AND TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE LACK OF KNOWLEDGE A PERSON HAS WHEN ALL THEY WANT IS THE DREAM OF EDUCATION

• Sj
      23rd of Jun, 2010

Apollo College is the biggest Joke I have ever taken part in, in My life... Sure I graduated with a 4.0, but thats beacuse their ciriculim was an even bigger Joke. The instructers gave us every answer to all of our tests ahead of time... My teachers were cool.. I can not complain about them... they are just there to do a Job and recieve a paycheck just as we all are. The admissions reps are worse than car sells men... Sure it is my fault that I got suckered into this joke, but I trusted them, and I was a single mom who just needed something fast... I was valnurable and got taken advantage of... and that is MY fault. I did get a Job, but no thanks to them. My employer nearly fell out of his chair laughing when he found out I graduated there... The point is... GO TO A COMMUNITY COLLEGE!!! it may take longer, but its better than wasting 12, 000 bucks and feeling completly taken advantage of.

3rd of Jul, 2010

Apollo College West-side campus Nursing Program is the worst program in the valley right now. I never even had to study to get a high B in their class. They're also racist. They hire just about any instructor, theyr'e cinicals are [censor] and they will fail you just because they can. And yes, the answers to the test are given to you ahead of time. The best hospitals in the valley wil not hire Apollo nursing grads anyway. However, what positive thing I can say about this school is that they make it easy for you to file a law suit against them.

• Pk
      10th of Nov, 2010

I went through 3 teachers when I went to Apollo/Carrington College for the Veterinary Asisstant program in Portland, OR. Even though I had difficulties with my first teacher I had I still feel that she was overall a good teacher. I had major problems with my second teacher. I criticized her teaching while I was still going to school there-big mistake. When I first started school there, during lab she would just sit at her desk typing on her computer all the time, only to look up once in awhile to answer a students question when they came up to talk to her at her desk. The rest of the time, it was student teaching student. A lot of the "senior" students who were there when I first started didn't make it through their externship because of not being taught properly how to restrain an animal for procedures. If the teacher's not teaching, what do you expect? This teacher made my life hell. From first talking about my coursework with another student, (she had a tendency to make "friends" with her students instead of just teaching) belittling me by boldly telling me to my face that I was stupid, making remarks about my weight and statements made to other students in class regarding my mental health. Not only that, she also told the entire class during class time that I was failing class, but since it was such a difficult term term she would give me a D so I could graduate. I would have passed with a D anyways, but she didn't regard an assignment she gave me to do when I missed a field trip-she didn't grade me on an 8 page report I did on Pros and Cons of primate research. She just disregarded it because I felt she just wanted to humiliate me in front of the class. I was also harassed by a group of students in my class that liked her. When I complained about the harassment I was written up for disrupting the class. Then when the last teacher was brought in, the same people who harassed me started telling stories about me sleeping with the new male teacher! Disgusting people! They had a "mob mentality" and just wanted to bring me down. After all of this I continued on to my externship where I received an A and was able to graduate. My guidance counselor helped me a lot to make it through, along with having a great, supportive family also greatly helped. Would I recommend this school to anyone? No, I would tell them to run away! I would never want anyone to go through what I did. Your money would be better spent at your local Community College, and your money would go farther, $12, 000 for just books and tuition for 7 months of schooling is too much! Please do your homework about this school and think more than twice before you attend it!