Apex Professional Services / Fraud and scam

This company sends out postcards to timeshare owners stating that they are making immediate offers on timeshares.. they will put your timeshare into closing immediately ON THE SPOT if it is paid off and all maintenance fees up to date.

They hold 'meetings' at a local hotel for several days. You must have an appt. after they screen you to make sure you 'meet their criteria'. At the meeting they have several owners, about 6 at a time, and they have a low-key guy doing an AV presentation about why timeshares are such a ripoff and how much money you will lose if you don't get rid of it immediately. They make it sound like they are going to 'save you'.

In the presentation they go through how much it would cost you if you were even able to sell it yourself, which they claim only less than 3% of people are able to do. As the presentation unfolded I had the feeling that there was going to be some kind of sales pitch because of the way they were emphasizing 'you must get rid of your timeshare now, no matter what the cost'. They say they will put it into escrow on the spot but they don't tell you how much they will pay you for it.

At the end of the presentation each seller goes into a 1 on 1 meeting with their 'counselor'. I asked the counselor, so what is the offer? After a lot of beating around the bush, he throws around a number of 7 times the annual maintenance fee, up to a maximum of $3500, which I took to mean that's what they are paying the owner. Then, as we were going through the paperwork, he asks me how do I want to pay. I said pay? Pay for what?

It turns out that the 7 times the maintenance fee is what THEY ARE GOING TO CHARGE YOU TO 'TAKE THE TIMESHARE OFF YOUR HANDS'! I said so what do you pay the seller and he said 'its a ZERO SUM' transaction. So, bottom line, not only do they NOT pay you, they expect YOU to pay THEM. My maintenance fee was $404/yr and he wanted me to pay him $2828 on the spot to 'buy' my timeshare! Once I completely understood what he was saying I said I'm not doing it. He then started to pour on the exact same strongarm tactics that the timeshare people utilize when they sell them to you in the first place! I told him I needed to make a phone call and I didn't go back.

BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY! They act like they are trying to help you and they're going to save your credit rating. This fee that they charge you is supposedly their fees to close the transaction. In my case, because my TS is in Mexico, they claimed that my resort charges a 'transaction processing fee' of 10% of the original price (which would have been around $1500 in my case).

In fact I called my resort the next day and they told me the transfer fee was 1 maintenance fee, which was $404. They claim you need a 3rd party lawyer to process the sale, etc. My resort said they would email me the papers to transfer ownership. It was a matter of filling out the papers and sending them back with $404 to get the ownership transferred (assuming you find someone to buy it yourself for whatever price).

The sad part is, they get people to go along with this! People were paying them thousands of dollars to 'take the timeshares off their hands'. Its bad enough to get roped into a timeshare in the first place. These people take complete advantage of that and make you think you have no other alternative but to pay them to take it. In fact when I called some of my friends and family members and asked if anyone wanted to buy my timeshare for $2800 plus the $404 transfer fee, I had 2 takers! Instead of paying them over $2800 to get rid of it, I'm getting $2800.

BOTTOM LINE: WATCH OUT! YOU WILL GO TO THE MEETING THINKING YOU WILL BE WALKING OUT WITH A CHECK.. IN FACT THEY WILL BE CHARGING YOU! KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT IF YOU GO.

Va

Comments

Bi
  13th of Nov, 2008

Very complete and informative report.

Thanks for saving us the aggrevation of traveling 45 miles to get a 180 "pitch"...even though we're pretty savy on the timeshare world and we were already leary.

Br
  14th of Nov, 2008

Thank You. This supports other info about this co. When it sounds too good to be true, it is. Great report. This has saved me time and aggrevation.

Ha
  15th of Nov, 2008

Excellent report. We were going to go to a presentation until I read your report. This company does not appear to be licensed either in Florida or here in Charlotte county. I will forward this info to our Attorney General and our local County officials.
I am sure some of our local retirees will fall for this scam.

Ro
  15th of Nov, 2008

THIS HAPPENED TO US TODAY. WHAT A RIP OFF. I REALLY THOUGHT THEY WOULD GIVE ME AN OFFER AND BUY MY TIMESHARE, INSTEAD THEY WANTED ME TO GIVE THEM MY DEED AND $1800 FOR CLOSING COSTS. THEN I STOP PAYING THE MAINTENANCE FEES AND SAVE LOTS OF MONEY. WHAT KIND OF JERKS DO THEY THINK WE ARE. I LOST 2 HOURS OF MY TIME AND BOY WAS I MAD. NEVER AGAIN AND I HOPE SOMEONE BANS THEM FROM USING THESE BEAUTIFUL HOTELS...AND BY THE WAY, MY APPOINTMENT WAS AT NOON AND THEY DIDN'T EVEN OFFER US A CUP OF COFFEE OR A GLASS OF WATER. WHAT JERKS THEY ARE!!! I AM SO MAD I DIDN'T READ YOUR REVIEW BEFORE NOON TODAY!!! THANKS.

Ol
  16th of Nov, 2008

Well, I owned a Fairfeild timeshare and my fees on it were 800 a year. I hadn't used it in 5 years. I begged Fairfield to just let me out of it. The 20, 000 mortgage was paid I just wanted to stop paying the fees every month.

I had spent over 1800 trying to sell it in newspapers and with BIG realestate companies like century 21 and remax.

APEX got me out of it and got me out fast! I have nothing but good to say about them.

The timeshare companies are the real scams if you ask me, not companies like Apex

Da
  16th of Nov, 2008

First off... It's not a scam to ask someone to pay to get out of their time share! This ignorant blogging crap drives me nuts!!! Of course they charge you... it takes hundreds of man hours to get you out of your contract. My closest friend is one of the guys that does the hotel meetings. He comes back with stories all the time of people drowning in debt and can't sell their timeshares. For a one time fee he can help save them thousands. There is so many internet smear campaigns out there blasting everybody and their mom... don't believe all of them. It's the ignorant people who go to these meetings expecting a check that should get complaints... seriously... if it was that easy to get out of a time share don't you think everyone would just "go to a meeting and pick up a check"! I was getting hosed with increasing maintenance fees and couldn't sell my place or deed it back. These guys saved me about $5200. Millana I'm glad you were able to pawn your timeshare off on your family. It was so nice of you to give them your burden. But not all of us have ignorant family with thousands of dollars in there piggy banks. This service isn't for everybody. If your time share will sell... DUH!!! Sell it and make the money!! If not, use these guys... they are legit.

Fi
  16th of Nov, 2008

LOL @ Longn3ck. I don't want to turn this into a High School chat room or anything, but I also agree with the previous two posts. I used Apex and had a pleasant experience.

Ga
  7th of Dec, 2008

My wife and I attended one of these presentations recently and while it may not be a scam, I wouldn't say it was a great thing either. We have 2 timeshares and wouldn't mind only having one. Unlike some people who have posted messages, we use, exchange or are able to rent them out every year. We did list once w/ a "timeshare resale company" for about $100 and quickly learned that was bogus. I really didn't know what to expect w/ Apex. However, I did not expect to have to pay $3500 for them to "relieve me" of my timeshare. We stayed for the whole presntation. They do not sell your timeshare. What it sounds like is they place it with a travel company. They showed us a Costco Travel magazine showing travel offers that they tried to say were approximately what our maintenance fees are. They are not. I went on Costco's web site and it's not much cheaper or the same as deals you see in the paper or anywhere else. They showed us a paper w/ timeshares for sell on ebay for $1. What they didn't show was that the closing costs are around $400, similar to Millana's $404. I don't know if there's more charges if you do it on your own, but I bet it doesn't add up to $3500. I looked at some of the selling prices on ebay and they ranged from $25 to into the $1000's. They said there would be tax savings over the next three years doing this. They are probably correct but I'll keep my $3500 now and seek other alternatives. In the end, ironically, it was exactly like a timeshare presentation. The guy went through his info, went back to talk to a guy, came back and when we said no, left again and came back w/ the guy to rehash everything.

I guess what it comes down to is if you're really desperate, don't use or are otherwise dissatisfied w/ your timeshare, this may be one option. We use our timeshares so this wasn't what we were looking for. But I can't help but think there may be other less expensive options.

Ni
  7th of Dec, 2008

Fr
  8th of Dec, 2008

Just read that they have also changed their name 5 or 6 times and keep scamming people and then changing their Company name:

POSTED BY FLETCHY07 "These people have changed their business name 4 or 5 times. My opinion; if they were doing a good job for their customers they wouldn't have to hide under different names. Also, their mailing address is a mail forwarding service in Houston Texas! This all seems very shady to me. They are hiding from the Washington Authorities. It's only a matter of time before people stop these guys. I hope it happens before they take advantage of a bunch of people and change their name for a 6th time. thx"

VERY SCARY ... STAY AWAY

Fr
  8th of Dec, 2008

JUST DID SOME RESEARCH MYSELF, LOOKS LIKE IT IS IN FACT A NEW COMPANY AGAIN JUST STARTED IN OCTOBER 08

Did search on Godaddy.com and here it is:

Registrant:

Last Updated on: 16-OCT-08

Du
  22nd of Dec, 2008

Frank Stephans,

None of your statements are true about the ownership of Apex. What you are doing is called Slander and will definately bring a harrasment suit against yourself.

I encourage people to do their own research as FRANK obviously has an agenda of his own.

Lo
  29th of Mar, 2009

I agree they scammed us into thinking we were going to sell the timeshare. but at the end of the presentation he asked me for 1, 900.00
my wife started laughing histerically. and said let me get this straight i have to pay apex 1900.00 to take my timeshare. hahahahha its pretty funny my own resort wants to buy it back from me and i said no because they were only offering me a third of what i payed. but now i might take them up on their offer. apex smells of scam!! and to bad theres so many people that really think they get a great deal. lol i should of gotton the hint when i saw a couple walk out just as we were getting there with all their paperworks and shaking their heads!!!

14th of May, 2009

Here's my question: So what if you pay them the money because you want to unload a timeshare? Mine is useless to me - if you pay the fee do they really take the timeshare off my hands?

As
  12th of Feb, 2010

I had encountered the same scam. I had recieved another call from a company called Last Resort. I listend to the sales pitch and I was so leary. They wanted me to pay money upfront but it was half of what Timeshare Relief, Inc. wanted from me. Then they said they would work with my financial situtation and would not charge me anthing until I had the contracts back and signed, which sounded a little more promising. I went one last time and not only am I out of my timeshare I got a little money in return from the other companies I went with in the past to sell my timeshare. They are a great company and I would suggest If you want out they're a very trustworthy company. Their website is www.lastresort.biz and the phone number to the Associate that I worked with is 561-371-0457 she is a very sweet girl and will help you through anything. DO NOT GO WITH TIMESHARE RELIEF! SCAM SCAM SCAM

Ko
  27th of Feb, 2010

I had a great expereince and all my worries went away after Apex helped me out! I recommend them to anyone owning a timeshare and in need of some relief!