AOL / shut down Hometown web sites

1 VA, United States Review updated:

AOL took my money to provide internet access and web hosting. On 10/31/08 they discontinued providing web hosting at Hometown.aol.com and refused to provide access to my data. If you have the same problem, I found a solution to get into the AOL FTP site without using AOL software (which no longer works).

Use an FTP client like FTP Voyager and log in using the following information:

URL = ftp.hometown.aol.com

default directory = "your AOL screen name"

log in = "your AOL screen name"

password = "your AOL password"

This won't work if you try to use anonymous log in

Comments

• Ba
      12th of Nov, 2008

On October 30, 2008 I was informed that my AOL account had been terminated. I called customer service and was then transferred to the business office. I explained my situation and asked why my account had been terminated. After the representative explained the only thing I could do was send a letter to CAT, I asked to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor also said the only thing to do was to write a letter to CAT. That same day, I sent a letter asking that my account be reinstated long enough for me to extract my saved information such as email addresses, phone numbers, and emails.

I have been an AOL account holder for over 8 years. I sent a letter, as I was instructed by the AOL business office, almost two weeks ago. I have yet to hear anything back from AOL concerning my account. I ask, again, that my account be reinstated long enough for me to extract my saved information.