Antivirus 2008 / email letter threats

MA, United States Review updated:
Back in May I purchased this product, not only did it not work, but another one of my antivirus programs picked it up as a virus. I attempted to call to no avail a number of times, and then called my bank, who told me they'd had a number of people with the same issue with the same company. I deleted product, and my bank refunded my money. Just today 6 months later I received a threatening letter from them:

On 2008-05 your have used the website www.antivirus2008y.com to purchase the copyrighted software «Antivirus 2008», which is our private property.
As the owners of the product we haven’t received the funds you paid for it yet. Your actions are in the nature of theft and fraud. We are preparing papers for the police and the courts to bring you to criminal liability to recover the monetary damages you brought.
For a complete clarification of the incident and to resolve the arisen conflict by a peace settlement, we need your cooperation. To do this you have to send us a written confirmation of purchasing our software. (the text of the letter you have to send is attached, please print it and fill in the fields «from ______», indicating your name, address, phone number, e-mail and other data identifying your person and sign the letter). Attaching the copy of a bank payment document confirming the payment for the purchased software (check, receipt, money orders, bank statements or other) to your letter is obligatory.
You must send good quality scan of your filled letter and bank payment document within 3 days after receiving this warning to e-mail support@antivirus2008y.com
In case no response from you is received we reserve the right to go to court and the police for your action are illegal to recover the monetary damage you brought.

Thank you for your understanding and look forward to a peaceful resolution of the conflict arisen.

Sincerely www.antivirus2008y.com site Administration

Anyone else get one of these?
Ka

Comments

Mi
  1st of Jun, 2008

Antivirus 2008 - Tricked into purchasing product online
Antivirus 2008

On 5/11/08 I was attempting to download certain software. My screen asked me for certain personal information, but didn't describe the software I was interested in. I complied with the information requested, them was prompted to enter "Finish." When I did enter "Finish" the screen told me I had purchased Antivirus 2008 which was bundled with AlphaWipe Track Cleaner 2008 and Premium support, for a total of $109.85.

This is not something I wanted or needed. In addition my computer would seldom allow me to select scan setting times, or to open even the smallest programs in storage. I finally was able to get the program (which was actually a small file) off my computer. My computer's performing properly now.

I feel I've been scammed!
An
  28th of Jul, 2008

Anti - Virus 200u - Rip off
United Kingdom

Downloaded anti - virus2008 and got billed for two other items i didnt want. . . Paid out over £100 for nothing, what a con. . .
  19th of Aug, 2008

Antivirus 2008 - Unable to access
AntiVirus 2008
810 clearspring ct
Smyrna
Tennessee
Phone: 615-355-8281

I recently downloaded antivirus2008 but never received an access code nor a registry number for the program which makes it absolutely useless to me. Please provide the necessary information to access the program or cancel my subscription which has already been charged to my credit card.
Ch
  19th of Aug, 2008
You got scammed. Antivirus2008 is actually a VIRUS. It tricks you into downloading it thinking its a real product but its not, they want you to buy a fake liscence for it. All that does is gets your credit card number and racks up a huge bill and it also installs more viruses. take your pc to a technician and have it removed properly before it logs all your banking and personal activity.
  26th of Aug, 2008

Antivirus 2008 - Rip off
AntiVirus 2008
1453 Chardon St
Jensen Beach
Florida
Phone: 772-812-6453

They have a thing called antivirus 2008 on my computer and I cannot get it off unless I pay them $49.95 for the registered program, if there is one, but in the mean time I cannot access my E-mail and they say that I have all kinds of viruses, when I try to link to another page, it says not recommended and when I try anyway, it won't go. Ot has my computer all screwed up and I am very pissed off as I use it for a lot of correspondence. I have Mcaffee antivirus and can't get it off with that. Please help!!!
  27th of Aug, 2008

Antivirus 2008 - want it off my pc, the add needs to stop

Want you off my pc, your add I have security on my pc, and want you to stop with the pop-ups, for your add. Now!!!
Ch
  26th of Oct, 2008

Antivirus 2008 - Unathorised Payment
support@software-payment.com
vua internet
Phone: 1-800-467-1077
Antivirus2008.com

sold be a antivirus and it didn't work, it did mess up my computer when I tried to contact them your ran around the bush you never get anyone to talk with and to this day they keep throwing there advertisments on my computer. It should be posted not to trust this company they take your money and there gone...
  27th of Oct, 2008

Antivirus 2008 - Quit working
billinternet.com
Fort Scott
Kansas

I ordered Antivurse 2008 ; AlphaWipe Tracks Cleaner 2008 ; Premium support on 6/15/08 for $109.85 and it was taken from my credit card from billinternet.com 8778717412 and now it has stopped working.
I tryed to email support@software-payment.com and I can't find a way to get ther support ?
What can be done if anything ? I would the sofware to work or my money back !
  6th of Nov, 2008
i purched antivirus on the 17 7 2008 i wish to know why it has stoped working and i would like a response as soon as poss thank you for you'r time mr richard neill 6 kirroughtree av newton stewart scotland postcode dg86pf
Do

Antivirus 2008 - big scam
British Columbia
Canada

tried installing antivirus 2008 l/y did not work right from the start they say $49.00 but when you get billed it is $120.00 can't get refund. Big scam and now they say I have to pay for antivirus 2009 or they will take me to court. I don't have either 2008 or 2009. Better Business should look into. DO NOT DOWNLOAD UNDER ANY CASE
  1st of Dec, 2008
I too received the same letter. As I recall I was forced to download this program which in turn inserted a virus into my computer. I was "locked onto" downloading it. Being a novice with my PC, I was unable to escape from this download.Believe me, I am not trying to "skate" on this, but I'll be dammed it I will pay for these "pirate" tactics. I had to get in touch with a computer "guru" by telephone to get me free of this download and get my PC back to running properly. Thank goodness for him. Yes, now I distinctly remember. I"d like to have my hands around their throats like trying to put their hands around my wallet.
Ro
  1st of Dec, 2008
I ALSO RECEIVED THE SAME E-MAIL WORD FOR WORD TODAY FROM THESE PEOPLE. I TRIED TO CONTACT THEM USING THE 800 NUMBER ON THE RECEIPT I HAVE WHEN PURCHASED THE SOFTWARE, BUT THE NUMBER IS NOT A WORKING NUMBER. I PURCHASED THE SOFTWARE IN MAY 2008. I ALSO TRIED REPLYING TO THE E-MAIL THEY SENT ME THREE TIMES AND DID NOT GET A RESPONCE.
I HAVE CONTACTED THE LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT WHERE I LIVE. THEY ARE GOING TO LOOK INTO THIS AS A POSSIBLE SCAM.
I HAVE RECEIPT WHEN I PURCHASED AND CREDIT CARD STATEMENT WHERE IT WAS CHARGED TO MY ACCOUNT.
  1st of Dec, 2008
Again, I tried to call their office as well but got no answer. That is when I got in touch with my credit card company and utterly refused to pay the download fee. It's all coming back very clearly now. What a SCAM!!!
Norm Sheehan
D3
  1st of Dec, 2008
Yes I had a copy of it and I had the same problems as you on my pc unfortunatly we didnt get money back and put it down to expericence my reply to the letter is as follows (excuse any spelling mistakes I am dislexic)

Very intresting read though I am not prone to giving out my personal details out through the internet I would be intrested in seeing the police as the down load you referre to never completed and the money did leave my account on the 26/05/2008 and the transaction was completed on the 28/05/2008 as my statement reads which I am quite happy to show the police when they come and my pc did for some months have trouble perfoming. We had put it down to buying on line from an unserced site but as you have contacted me I will look forward to been able to sort it out with the police

Regards

and yes this comes 6 months from when it was surpose to have downloaded
Ca
  1st of Dec, 2008
I too have received a letter of the same wording. They received payment from my credit card on 25th May 2008 and are now saying that they haven't received it. I'm in Australia and would be very interested to hear from others how they have resolved this matter.
Thanks Cath
Ju
  1st of Dec, 2008
I too have received a letter of the same wording. I never asked for my money back!
Ju
what do we do!
Ca
  1st of Dec, 2008
Have just been told by Computer guys that its a huge scam - apparently we all now have viruses on our computers. Baaah. Their advice is to get our computers cleaned out and ignore all communictions.
Ro
  1st of Dec, 2008
I MADE A COMMENT EARLIER ABOUT THIS MESS. I AM STILL GOING TO LET THE LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT LOOK INTO THIS. AND I THINK IF WE ALL CALL OUR LOCAL TV STATIONS AND LET THEM KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON AND CONTINUE SENDING E-MAILS TO PEOPLE WE KNOW, MAYBE WE CAN AT LEAST SLOW THESE GUYS DOWN.
I HAVE CONTACTED MY COMPUTER MAN TO SEE ABOUT CLEANING MY MACHINE UP AND INSTALLING A GOOD ANTIVIRUS. I HAVE LEARNED MY LESSON ON BUYING ON LINE. NEVER AGAIN.
I WILL BUY SOFTWARE AT A COMPUTER STORE FROM NOW ON.
I'AM JUST A COUNTRY BOY IN LOUISIANA TRYING TO RUN A BUSINESS. I DON'T NEED THIS KIND OF PROBLEM.
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE !!!
  1st of Dec, 2008
i got the same e-mail. i think it is a scam. if the police show up i will show them my credit card statement from april 2008.