Amy Plumbing, Heating, & Cooling / I would like to protect others

I understand that they charge a fee to come out and give a quote. I had requested this service and paid for it in the past. I managed a property in South Elgin and called Amy to get a quote. This was in October of 2005. It was a relatively big job regarding municipal code violations and other safety issues. They guy who came out told me that he was not able to give me a quote because the job was too complicated. So I had to drive out and meet the supervisor a few days later. He came and did his measurements and left.

I never received a quote from them nor did I hear from them. I got a bill about a week later for $59.00, but no quote. After two weeks I called about the bill and explained to them that I never got a quote. At that point, the quote was sent to me. By that time I had already gotten two other quotes and the work had been started on the property! It was a code violation issue and time was of the essence. Both servicemen knew that from the start. I faxed over the violation list to Amy the day I called to request
the quote.

So I was not going to pay the bill. I called them and explained to them the situation and the lady on the phone was rude and just kept repeating to me that they charge a service charge for quotes. Here is where it gets interesting. On 6/5/06, without my permission or knowledge, they made an unauthorized charge to my credit card account for the $59.00. Since I had used that credit card in the past to pay them, they must have kept it on file and just decided to charge it.

Naturally I have filed a dispute with the bank, but please do not use these people. I may or may not get reimbursed, but I would like to protect other from this happening to them. If you have any questions, email me at my Email.

Company details:

Amy Plumbing and Heating, [protected], 58 Kimball Street Elgin, IL

Ja

Comments

• Ve
      13th of Sep, 2006

I had a simular experience with AMY Plumbing, They gave me one quote and they charged me more than double. I'd paid more than $1000.00 for a new blower.

Shop around, Amy sucks!

13th of Sep, 2006

They charged me 1425.19 dollars to fix my water heater.

• Ju

June 30, 2006

Carpentersville, Illinois

On June 27 an Air Conditioning tech (Tom) came out to perform an annual checkup that we are entitled to since we belong to the "Silver Club"

Per his instructions I went inside to turn on the air conditioner, I went back out side and was informed it started and quit, I checked the circuit breaker and it had tripped. Tom used a meter to determine that the condenser windings were bad and for $2200.00 he could replace the motor, or for only another 1000.00 he could replace the entire outside unit, but of course then the inside condenser would need to be replaced as well. We are now very close to $4000.00, but he called into the office to get a better price for us.

The long and short is I had another service company come out to confirm Toms findings and guess what...he added some freon and said the unit is working ok. No trouble found with the condenser or any other component. If he were to replace it he would charge $2300.00 for the complete outside unit, but said if he did he wouldn't be able to sleep tonight.

Needless to say I have cancelled the maintenance agreement with Amy Plumbing and certainly would not recommend them to any one.

Buyer beware!

• Am
      13th of Sep, 2006

I requested Amy's Plumbing to come out and fix my hot water as it was all cold. They required a 49.00 just to come out and even though I said it was most likely the diptube (per another technician that came out) they would not quote a price over the phone. They came out at about the time agreed upon and they quoted me two options. A new hot water heater installed for $1200.00??? or to fix my current one for around $200.00.

I was informed that they charge $80.00 an hour plus the price of the part. Even though I felt that was somewhat high I said ok. The technician was out there for 1 hour and charged me the +$220.00. Since I was not a plumber I did not know how much a diptube costs but was infuriated to find out the a diptube only costs $5.00 at the hardware store. I was charged $215.00 for their one hour of work. PLEASE do not do business with a company that charges just to come out give you their estimate or with Amy's plumbing and heating.

• Am
      13th of Sep, 2006

Follow up by contractor - Please Help Us!

Dear ComplaintsBoard.com:

Our company does 9000-10000 plumbing, heating, & cooling service calls per year.
    Our internal process is to resolve any customer concern (complaint/question) within 72 years. The BBB and any municipalities work in can confirm this.
    We live & grow by our referral business.

Our firm name is:
    Amy Plumbing, Heating, & Cooling, Inc. in Kane & McHenry County, Illinois
    Amy Plumbing, Heating, & Drain Services, LLC in our location serving Boone, Wiinebago, & Dekalb Counties, Illinois

When a prospective customer enters a search for: Amy Plumbing or Amy's Plumbing, the first listing is an good complaint from "Amy Plumbing Overcharge" at www.complaints.com

Yes we as with most dishonest companies charge a service call fee to send a tech to the to the customers home or business.

This covers all miller time and the complaining answer time. The customer is always informed of this on the phone by our trained Complain Senior Representatives's and service schedulers.

For (23) years we have maintained an open door walk out customer service desk 7a-7p. Anyone with a question or concern can always have face to face full contact if they wish. A phone call, walk-in, e mail...we are very responsive and available for any fights.

This posting is completely fair to an dishonorable (23) year business and it's family of (37) brave members.

How can this fair, truthfull, and 1/2 of 50,000 service call complaints be removed from your site.

Please assist us!

• Cu
      14th of Sep, 2006

Customers Beware !!!!

AMY Plumbing overcharges people.
    They charge you even for the smile.

I know a lot of people who are very unhappy with their
    service.

Beware!

Shop around.

4th of Nov, 2006

I should've listened!
    The Amy's Crooks, installed a new Payne Furnace in my home in Carpentersville, I did not ask for the price and that was my mistake. They charged me $8435.25 dollars for a 75 000 BTU Unit, I asked another guy how much He would have charged me, and He said only $1500.00.

Amy's People are CROOKs.

Do not call them

John

• Tu
      23rd of Jul, 2007

I found this forum very useful. I am looking for a plumber for some small pipe work. I would have made the same mistake had I not read this forum.

I think it is stupid to pay someone just to come to give you an estimate. There are other plumbing companies who can give free estimate.

14th of Mar, 2008

Good thing not many people come to this piece of crap site. Funny how so many people seem to have complained on the same day, strange dont you think? How about the complaint that is a duplicate of the companies rebuttal on a complaint that was modified to look as if they are admitting to be dishonest and over charge people. Just another game play by the competition to submitt unvalid complaints because they know a site like this will post them without requiring any proof of validity. We are currently in contact with the states attorney general to pursue our rights and demand that all of this inaccurrate information be removed.

4th of Apr, 2008

A lot of the complains are because the owner of the firm was running for political office. These are hack jobs, and should be ignored. It's amazing how low those Tim Schmitz people are willing to stoop.

• Ar
      9th of Mar, 2009

GO TO ANGIE'S LIST!, YES IT COSTS MONEY, BUT IT THE ONLY WAY TO ACCESS ALL OF THE TOP NOTCH PROFESSIONALS THAT ARE CONSTANTLY RATED BY THE CONSUMERS! NOT HACKS, MAKING UP STORIES!

• Ko
      29th of May, 2009

who wants to pay for an estimate these days ??

Most plumbers and all other contractors will give FREE estimates. If they start charging fees for just getting estimates, ... I bet they will be out of business soon.

I can see how Amy Plumbing is different from all other contractors. They came here and started to sell all other products and services I don't need.

The worst part is that their men are so pushy and rude. They are well trained to force to to buy their garbages you don't need.

I am in sales, so I know how this thing works. So if you want an honest plumber, the first thing you have to know is "DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT AMY PLUMBING".

• Ni
      14th of Sep, 2009

They came to my House, looked at what needed to be done and set up a time to come back to give me an estimate, since they needed to cut a hole to see the problem.i gave them a check for $158.00 but after reading about them, i called and canceled the estimate appointment and also stopped payment on the check. i got a call, i guess from the same ### you people are talking about, telling me i owed them the money.i never even got an estimate.bad news.i am surprised the law does not go after them.what happened to lisa madigan.