Amy Miller / Won't pay writers

1 OH, United States

Amy Miller outsources writing projects she receives via Elance. Although typical practice when outsourcing is that you pay your writers for their work, then you get paid when it's submitted to the client. Also, it is not typical for a person to keep money (especially the majority of what the project is worth) for themselves if they do not do any of the actual work. However, Amy does not pay her writers in any sort of timely fashion - sometimes making them wait months to get paid, though promising to pay within days of completion. She also keeps the majority of the money from the project for herself, though she doesn't do the work. She becomes belligerent when confronted with these issues. I stopped working for her when I discovered she was offering a friend of mine more money for the same projects she had been offering me. This same friend of mine has been waiting for almost 2 months for $125 Amy still owes her. Amy will not respond to her emails in which my friend has sent numerous invoices. Amy is also notorious for not giving decent instructions and becomes belligerent again when the client doesn't like what was submitted. So, a writer can spend days researching and completing a project only to be told they're not getting paid for it, or their time. When asked if the writer can simply do the editing so they can be paid, there is either no response, or Amy again becomes belligerent and states that she'll just do it herself. Then consequently takes all money for that project and pays the writer nothing.
My friend became extremely upset over this last project Amy had given her, a manual she had written over a month ago. Amy told her that the client liked everything except for the fact that all sections had to contain the same exact subject matter. It was a 20 page manual, so I offered my services to help her with the editing so that she would finally get paid for it. My friend paid me for my help (as she had technically outsourced it to me) and was told by Amy she would be paid the following day. However, no payment was received, and after waiting for a few days to hear back from her, Amy finally emailed her and said that the project was cancelled; the client didn't like the manual and called it "fluffy and juvenile". The very next day, Amy contacted my friend again and said it was actually only the first three lines to the manual that needed changing and the client was willing to allow the edit to be done.
Last night, when my friend never received instructions from Amy as promised on what content was needed, and she could not reach her via email or skype, I offered to email Amy myself. I have included the entire set of emails between Amy and myself last night. I hope our experience with her will help save others from making the same mistake. *** side note: there is a lot of profanity, and at one point I am accused of being a "pill-popper". I take medications for anxiety and a clotting disorder (without the latter, I could die)*************************************************************************************************************************************
On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Jessyca ( ) hotmail.com> wrote:
Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I am helping ( ) with the recipes. I wanted to let you know that we expect payment upon delivery to YOU. If there are any edits due, we will be more than happy to fix whatever is needed, however, we will not wait another month for payment, just to find out the project has been cancelled. If payment is not received upon delivery to you, we will not be responsible for any edits needed. Only when paid for our time will we put more time in to fix what needs to be done. Please also include the format to be used for the recipes and any and all instructions given by the client so there are no miscommunications.
Thank you for your time!
Jessyca
__________________________________
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 20:18:24 -0500
To:( ) @hotmail.com
Yeah I don't need either of your help... thanks
______________________________________
On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 8:37 PM, Jessyca ( ) @hotmail.com> wrote:
Let me tell you what: You have promised ( ) more money on each project you have turned me down for, even though you're getting at least twice as much money for it. You aren't even doing the material! You are a scammer, and one of the worse, by far. I have done everything according to your guidelines, yet you change things constantly because either you don't understand the client, or don't give a crap enough to pass on the correct info to those you outsource to. You need to correct your way of business before everyone knows what a scammer you are and chooses not to work for you. I am extremely professional when it comes to EVERYTHING i do, and for you to turn down the projects I've done because YOU couldn't give enough direction, is just b.s. I was looking for someone to work for long term, but the stunts you pull is beyond anything I would consider business-like, and you will only lose writers in the end
_______________________________________
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 20:45:35 -0500
To: ( ) @hotmail.com
That's right that's why I make what I make... You couldn't even do recipes...And ( ) sent a manual that was fluff... I am writing it like I should have done in the beginning... you were paid up front and when i asked for edits you couldn't do it... Good luck with your crazy ### mental pill poppin ###... and I won't be using any of your work as I do my own work and can and Do write circles around you. Don't email me again... whack job!
____________________________________
On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 9:07 PM, Jessyca ( ) @hotmail.com> wrote:
I take pills so I don't go all nutcase on you, but you have pushed it too flippen far. I am anal to a point - the top tens I gave you were researched for 3 flippin days. I do good work no matter the circumstance. It's you who can't give decent instructions. If you could learn to give direct instructions, nothing would be needed to be changed. You know my ### was good... forgive me for being sick. You want to claim you're behind on paying her because of your son in the hospital. I've been in the hospital due to a blood clot in my lungs. Several, actually. Why don't you pay ( ) the money you owe her - or IS it because of your son? Everyone has ### in their lives. Not just you. Yet you act as if we're supposed to read your mind. We follow the direction YOU give to a 'T', yet you continuously claim it's not what they're looking for. That's your fault, no one else's. If you're going to outsource, then you'd better give the correct instructions! I'm a whack job? At least I know what's wrong with me and try to fix it... you are still in denial. I'm done being cordial. You are a scamming ###, and when it's found out that you aren't paying your outsources, you are going to be done in this business. Good luck with that. ( ) probably did what she did out of pure survival. You are seriously nuts and a liar.
________________________
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 21:17:35 -0500
To: ( ) @hotmail.com
I have tried to help both of you make money.. if you think I am paying anyone for garbage.. fluff.. and by the way I own the top 10 not you.. since your ###ing lazy ### wouldn't edit it... and I paid you... free loader I don't have to outsource... because I do my work and I got your ### little girl... and do what you have to do everyone knows that writes well that works with me that i am honest but not a babysitter...and let ( ) know that I am paying her for the recipes... but not the manual.. I have to rewrite it...
__________________________________
On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 9:24 PM, Jessyca ( ) @hotmail.com> wrote:
I spend 4 days trying to get out of you want you wanted for that edit, and you never responded other than to tell me it had to be about Esthetics and beauty. It made absolutely no sense, and when I asked you for further clarification, you ignored me. You said, at the end of the four days that you would do it yourself. I have no problem fixing my own errors, but you wouldn't give me that opportunity. You have severe control issues and need to deal with them before you ever have a successful business. ( ) does not appreciate being called my ### little girl. She got me into this business and until you and Marlo, neither of us had any issues. You need to rethink how you run your business. Outsourcers need to pay up front, just as I did and ( ) did for me. If you can't learn to trust the people you employ, as well as they trust you, you'll never have anything worth a ###.
_____________________________
maybe you should learn yo read I told you since you called me a ### I have got it waiting on you in Ohio... I have no use for your crazy ### rambling.. I have clients and work.. and I sent you three messages about the edit... you whined like a little baby or pill popper that drinks...good luck
**********************************************************************************************************************************************
The last email was the last communication I had with her. This is how her behavior has been during our time working for her; erratic. I warn anyone who is thinking of working for her or supplying her with projects to be aware of who they are dealing with.

Jd