Amtrakstolen luggage

I have so many complaints I really do not know where to start, My suitcase was stolen all because after I asked the staff (Martha) at (HOS) if I needed to check my suitcase in she responded no and proceeeded to ask if I had my name on my bag my answer to her was yes, she then told me to proceed by getting on the train and give my suitcase to the conductor after boarding the train I watched the conductor Steven place my Large Burgundy Suitcase in the Cubby in Cart #2,.. When I made it to New Orleans I exited the train and was told by Steven to go inside the train station inside of New Orleans and wait for my suitcase my suitcase was not found, after I notified the service tech in Bag Handling and went with him to recheck the train my suitcase did not turn up, I was very upset being that I have been given very inaccurate information I even have a witness that heard Martha at the HOS station tell me that I did not need to check my bag in, in New Orleans one of the Amtrak employees blatanly stated that their are lots of cleptomaniacs that ride the train and that more than likely my suitcase was stolen... How foul is that I will be contacting a lawyer and reporting Amtrak to the BBB I can't believe that in these days we are living in, that anyone riding on the train can take other people luggage... I also spoke with Kathleen in Customer Resolutions who was not a help and refused to give me her last name... I will follow up with a lawyer... My reservation #89373

Ke

Comments

• Ce
      May 18, 2013

I am also bagless... but I checked my bag and had a bag claim. I was traveling from Wilmington, DE to Wilmington, NC ( train goes to Wilson, NC with bus thruway to Wilmington- 4 hours away) . I got off the train and NO baggage. The station bag handler told me, it must be on the next train, took my information and said he would call me as soon as the next train came in. He called, my baggage was NOT on the next train. Said he would have the train check the baggage car again at the next stop & check with Delaware. ( He never told me they were closing at 5 and he was going home). When I got to where I was staying, approx. 5 hours away from the train station - there was a message on my answer from a woman who said she had my luggage and spoke nice at first, cause she thought I had her luggage. Once she found out I didn't - she didn't care to talk to anymore - just said she would get her bag at the station tomorrow and give them my bag. So, my bag will still be 5 hours away ( 10 hours round trip) . I called customer relations. Waited on hold for over an hour and 15 minutes - and he was absolutely rude !!! Didn't know why I was upset and said all they do is file a report ( what a "cake" job ) . That I needed to contact the station in Wilson in the morning - they could NOT do anything for me ! I don't think I will EVER ride AMTRAK again and I know I will NEVER check my luggage. Every time I ride Amtrak there is some kind of problem - so I am done ! They do absolutely NOTHING for their customers. When your on the train, they treat you like crap and have all their buddy-buddy time and do things they are not suppose to do, but they all do those things, so no one "rats" each other out. They are on the cell phones, which they are not suppose too. Last time, about 2 weeks ago, when I was traveling the same route, they gave my seat to someone else ( a BIG guy) - there were 3 tags on 2 seats. I went to the cafe car, came back, and he was sitting there. When traveling west last year - I had a conductor and other crew taking alot of seats in the cafe car and then telling me I had to leave for other people. When customer relations contacted me after I gave a bad survey - he told me the crew should not be there, that is for customers and it was on a first come, first served - and he should not have told me and my friends to leave. But they NEVER did anything about it. There are SO many people who need jobs- I don't know why Amtrak keeps all these "bad" employees and pays them pretty well. Good Luck to you in any of your travels. .. .. see you on the road !