Amigo Energy / Breach of Contract

1 Houston, TX, United States Review updated:

Amazing - I have never seen such a ripoff - I tried like everyone else to get a bill or rate from Amigo Energyy after I was forced from National Power Company to Amigo Energy. I am under contract with NPC that states they cannot raise the rate by more than 10%, so you imagine my surprise when I finally received a double bill with an apology that NPC clients had not received a previous bill and get this would get a $15 credit next month - the rate had changed from 0.125 to 0.2469 per kwh. Oh - I received 8/12/08 and have until 8/15/08 to pay by mail or money order to avoid a further late fee of $32.
I think I will send them the amount I would have paid NPC stating this completes my contractural obligations.

Receiving a bill seems to coincide with my request to transfer to another provider. I have filed a complaint with PUC. Lets see- this seems like a common practice.

Da

Comments

• Al
      12th of Aug, 2008

Similar story here as well. I got a letter saying I was supposed to contact Amigo and chose one of their plans after I was transferred from National Power. The problem was that they never answered their phone and I could not access my account online using the account number they provided to me. Just got my bill today that was twice the amount I expected. I'm not paying a dime to this ripoff organization. I've filed a camplaint with PUC and will contact the attorney general and BBB as well.

13th of Aug, 2008

Problems here as well. Amigo didn't have a previous meter reading for me, so they assumed it was 0 and are now charging me for the full amount read by my meter at 24.69/kwh. They tried to pass it off as a problem with my meter and said it was a valid bill that I have to pay. They said that IF it was later found to be inaccurate that it would be handled as a refund. I don't want to pay the overage because I think I'll never see the refund. I am currently trying to find out what are my rights when the usage is in dispute like this. Will probably consult with a lawyer and file complaints with BBB and PUC. Want to take a guess how soon Amigo is going to go bankrupt like NPC?

13th of Aug, 2008

One more note... put through an emergency priority switch. Waive your right to ERCOT notification of the change of provider and request an out of cycle meter read. And go with a stable company with good customer service. My change was accomplished in 8 days instead of the regular 30-45 days and it only cost me a fee of $6 for the meter read.

13th of Aug, 2008

No luck with the BBB. They don't handle disputes about pricing. I will submit another complaint about the level of customer service since I was involuntarily switched to their service and could not get in contact with them by phone or internet..

• Mi
      13th of Aug, 2008

I have the identical scenario: was switched from National Power unknowingly and now have a 24cent rate bill of which I will pay nothing. They gladly told me it will go on my credit in 45 days and I will gladly accept that rather than pay them a dime.

• Li
      13th of Aug, 2008

I suggest you all truly read a terms of service agreement before getting into a huff. Sounds to me like you all went a good 60+ days and didn't pay anyone for your power yet now want to complain??? Should have saved up some money in that time you weren't paying ANYONE for power. You could probably pay now.

13th of Aug, 2008

To the comment above: Don't throw stones without knowing the full story. I am fully aware of the terms. I have no problem paying a reasonable fee for the services I received. The problem is that the TDSP screwed up and didn't read the meter since installation, then NPC went under and dumped us on Amigo, then Amigo decided to delay billing until they could jump the rates through the roof on customers that they couldn't bully into signing a contract, and billed customers 24.69/kwh for service provided months earlier when rates were much less. So I've ended up with a bill for service from April (when the meter was installed) through June at 24.69/kwh. Now I DO have a problem with (1) paying for electricity used by those who were here before me, (2) paying twice the rate I signed up for, and not the rate that was in effect when the service was actually provided, and (3) having to rely on a crooked and corrupt company to issue me a refund, during which time they'll probably leave the market just like NPC did. Not to mention the fact that many of us signed up with NPC and never authorized a switch to Amigo. So yes, WE HAVE A RIGHT TO COMPLAIN.

• Li
      13th of Aug, 2008

We've been customers of Amigo since mid 2006 not one single problem. Be upset at the "cheap" provider you went with that is now no longer in business for obvious reasons. You could have been sent to POLR and paid .30cents AND been ask to pay a deposit. TX has many choices, pick one and stop complaining.
    If you are upset with the TDSP then gripe at them.
    We refer multiple people to amigo who are also happy customers.
    Wish you all the best in your search for a new provider.

14th of Aug, 2008

I support the right of anyone to freedom of speech. That's what these sites are here for. But condoning, accepting or supporting unethical business behavior is what has gotten this country to the state that it is - a corporatocracy with horrible customer service. Just laying down and taking it, as suggested, only gives the company permission to go on and do worse to the next guy.

I have to wonder if some of the comments were left by an Amigo employee?

• La
      14th of Aug, 2008

I got a letter from NPC about the switch, saying that we were being transferred to Amigo who would provide great service, etc. Relian is my POLR, not Amigo. So I asume in an amicable trade agreement that Amigo would honor the pricing (or at the very least offer competitive pricing or their published pricing) to the transferred NPC customers. Instead, they delayed billing and charged an exorbitant, non-competitive rip-off rate. If I was a ### and wanted to pay that, I would not have switched myself over to NPC. Any reasonable person would assume that their interests would be protected in the handoff from one to another when it is presented as a service and benefit to the customer to stick with the transfer provider. I did not receive a letter advertising rates, recommending finding another provider, nor was I switched to POLR. Instead, I was scammed over to another company, Amigo, who's trying to make a quick and dirty HIGHLY UNETHICAL buck off me. What a joke. I have Excellent credit, but I will willingly not pay this bill and take them to court over it before I hand over hundreds of dollars in over charges from thsi company. I would advise everyone, there are thousands of us, to keep an eye for a class action lawsuit. OR take the matter into your own hands and file a Small Claims Court lawsuit for deceptive trade practice. They should at the very least adjust your bill to a comparable rate or one of their published competitive rates. You should stand for no less. This POS company makes me sick. Have some scruples or ethics! They chose to go for the quick kill rather than attempt to keep the thousands of customers that fell into their lap. Typical, short-sighted, rape the customer mentality from some of the lousiest companies and CEOs in this country. I am apalled. But I will get my money's worth in Small Claims Court if they don't willingly adjust the bill. I have to keep calling, though, because all I get is a busy signal...

• La
      14th of Aug, 2008

Here's info if you want to stop by in person. Also, if the 888 toll free # doesn't work for you, as it didn't for me, try this number below. This is the Administrative line. You can get to customer service or even try to speak to management.

Amigo Energy
    2650 Fountain View Dr
    Houston, TX 77057
    Phone : (832) 242-7168

• De
      14th of Aug, 2008

I am very unhappy about this situation, too. Since I was unable to get through to Amigo after I was involuntarily switched from NPC, I changed my service to Gexa. But that switch took 30 days to occur. I just received a bill for May 30-June 27 from Amigo at a rate of 0.2419. I called 888-469-2644 and amazingly got through to a supervisor in 5 minutes. He said I was mistakenly charged the 0.2419 rate for July. He said I should have been charged the 0.1888 rate for June. He would not give me the lower rate of 0.162 for May. He made an adjustment to my account for the lower rate and June saving me a little over $100. I still feel cheated. This is still my highest bill EVER in a month that wasn't too hot and with average usage.

• Mi
      14th of Aug, 2008

Debbie, who did you talk to at Amigo? I am in the same situation, service ended in June but I'm getting charged the (unethically higher) rate for July. I didn't think that was legal.

14th of Aug, 2008

I am also transfered to Amigo Energy by National Power Company with a simple notification without mentioning anything about the rate. I also never receive anything regarding the rate or bill from Amigo Energy until yesterday (8/13). To my surprise, I was charged with a rate (24.69) about 50% higher than I used to pay to National Power for two months (June and July). However, I notice that the rate Amigo charges is posted only until July 1, 2008. How can Amigo charges customer a later posted rate on a earlier reading?
    When National Power informed us regarding the change of provider, we normally assume that everything (including the rate) should stay the same or at least similiar. That is the common practice in business world in Texas or in the United States. I feel I have been purposely delayed the bill, and charged an exorbitant, non-competitive rip-off rate too.
    I am eagerly to join the class action against Amigo Energy if they refuse to do the business in a honest way by following a common practice of the business world, OR I am considering to file a Small Claims Court lawsuit for deceptive trade practice as suggested by Larry P.
    I would like to see someone come forward to lead us and take some action together!

• Ka
      15th of Aug, 2008

AMIGO ENERGY IS CROOKED. I GOT A TRANSFER NOTICE TO AMIGO FROM NPC. I IMMEDIATELY SWITCHED TO ANOTHER PROVIDER. AMIGO REFUSED TO SEND ME A BILL FOR MORE THAN 2 MONTHS AND THEN THEY SEND ME ONE FOR .24 kwh VS THE .11 I WAS PAYING. WHEN YOU TRY TO CALL THEM NO RESPONSE. HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH CHEATS LIKE THIS ?? MY BILL IS $406 FOR A SINGLE MONTH.

15th of Aug, 2008

Looks like we all should let media including tv and newspaper know the redicular situation involving National Power and Amigo Energy, how so many customers being rip-off. I believe this event possesses the character of a good news report.

• Gr
      15th of Aug, 2008

I too was one of the people that Amigo took over my NPC account. There is a binding Terms of Service that indicates that they can not raise the rate more than 10% without sending out a new Facts Label. Neither NPC nor Amigo ever adhered to that stipulation. Amigo still supplies the NPC Terms of Service Agreement on their website as the binding agreement for their rate plan of NPCVAR. So, they not only have accepted it they have also continued it.

So, there is no way in the world that they can legally raise the rate more than 10% above your old rate since the assumed the accounts instead of letting the fall to POLR. When you assume a customer it also comes with the agreement that is in place.

Did Amigo mess up and make a bad decision taking over the NPC variable accounts? Probably but, the did and that's not my fault.

I was at 12.5 w/ NPC which means they shouldn't charge more than 13.75 until that new Facts label arrives.

I was supposed to get a return call from Sam Serrano of Amigo Energy today but, the call never came. Surprise.

I have also copied their websites source code to a file along with the Terms of Service .pdf that they are using in case they start deleting stuff. I recommend others do the same thing.

I have also filed a complaint with the PUCT today.

• Gr
      15th of Aug, 2008

To further the information that I posted above.

In this news article cached by google, it states that the PUC reports that the NPC variable rate customers will be transfered to Amigo at the same rate.

" The change won't interrupt electric service, and National Power customers being switched to Amigo will be on the same rate plan, according to the PUC.

Those switched to their provider of last resort likely will have much higher rates. "

So, even the PUC had the understanding from the talks with NPC that the variable rate customers would be brought over at the same rate.

Amigo's lawyers missed a very, very key statement in the Terms of Service where it states that rates can't go up more than 10% per month.

18th of Aug, 2008

Same here. Like many of you who got transfer to Amigo from NPC. I got the billing statement on 08/15/2008 and to my surprise a .2419 kwh usage charge. What? Are you kidding me!!! From being .125 to .2419 just unfuk... believable. I call the customer service which took me about 12 minutes to get someone and he couldn't tell me ### that I already knew! At first I was going to pay the bill 281.80 but after reading all the complains (above) I definitely would not pay a dime. What a joke this company is! Let me know if you guys are in a lawsuit so we can put our minds together or atleast exchange names and numbers and put them into one!

• Je
      18th of Aug, 2008

I got screwed the same as everyone else on this page. Please, please, please take the time and file a complaint here: